Queen Mary 2 vs. Explorer of the Seas

DcJohn

I realize this is a weird combination but, I have two fantastic offers from a TA regarding holiday sailings from the NY/NJ area. Both are 12 night cruises. Both offering interesting itineraries. The big difference is I can get a Junior Suite on Explorer for the price of a balcony cabin on Queen Mary 2. I haven't sailed either line yet but, I am booked on Navigator for next summer (2007). The TA has put together excellent perks and amenities on both sailings and, I'm really stumped. What would you do?

Email: john.ch.duncan@gmail.com

While I have no sailed on Explorer of the Seas, I have sailed on QM2 (and will be going again in September). From what I've read on the RCCL message boards, EOS sounds like quite a ship. I think the difference will be more in what you expect from your cruise. EOS will likely provide a more "youthful" experience...advertisements for rock climbing and the like. The QM2 experience is quite different. While she has the usual amenities (spa, gym, swimming pools, and the like), she offers a more sedate product than RCCL. I can't comment on the food on EOS, but QM2 has a beautiful dining room (Britannia) plus Todd English (surcharge) plus 4 other specialty restaurants (no surcharge). I'm sure EOS also provides many dining options. Another difference between the ships is that QM2 is a British ship which has a very different "feel" than an American ship. The passengers tend to be a little bit older and the feel is very European. Shopping on QM2 is not exciting and I imagine that EOS will offer more there. While QM2 is not stuffy, she might be compared to EOS or similar vessels. I love QM2 but don't think it's for everyone. Again, each will offer a very different experience...all depends on what you're looking for.

DcJohn,

I have been on both ships. While I admit my bias for Cunard and the QM2, I will say that the Explorer of the Seas is a great ship. It depends on what you are looking for just as Johnsy81 stated. On Explorer, you get more of a crowd that is somewhat prone to looking out for themselves and not letting other people or rules get in their way. On Cunard, there is a lot less of this type of attitude (my experience). QM2 gives more lectures on various subjects to enhance people's knowledge along with wine tasting and other normal activities on all ships.

However, the Explorer does have minigolf, the rock wall, parades down the shopping area inside the ship that Cunard does not have.

So, it does depend what type of cruise you enjoy most. You won't go wrong on either ship but you need to follow your tastes. Good luck and enjoy whichever cruise you pick.

Ed

I'll let my history speak for itself.

I am 51 (as is Marc) We are adventurous types. We met at a drop zone where Marc flew Helicopters and I had flown over that day in my plane. We are far from ordinary or sedentary people.

Now- In the last 10 or 12 years, we have cruised five times on Cunard, once on Royal Caribbean (in addition to a number of cruises on other lines). And we are booked on another Cunard trip in September. Why did I not return to RCCL? No particular reason. Nothing memorable about them. Nothing stuck out as achingly good or achingly bad. The food was not memorable, nor did I have any complaints. I have booked clients on RCCL. It's what they like so I book them there. I know that Cunard is not for everyone. One I booked this year has three rambunctious (but well-behaved, all the same) children. They are smart and would explore the ship, the library, and more. But I think they were much more suited to Royal Carib, which they loved.

We love the ambiance, the food, the adult-oriented (not kid-centric) atmosphere of Cunard. We like being part of a grand tradition, and not "just another non-descript, ubiquitous cookie cutter cruise ship" To tell you the truth, even as much as I have had training classes with RCCL (none with Cunard) and done a lot of digging for the right cruise for my friends and others who like RCCL, and I get multiple weekly emails from them and my regional rep, I have trouble remembering which ship is which, or which one I sailed on! Likewise my one Carnival cruise. Different day, Same ship, so to speak.

Get a book from your TA or go on the websight of each line. See what they emphasize as their strong selling points. Which attracts you more? Which lights a fire in your heart? That will tell you more of which is right for you. Compare the Jr Suite with the balcony cabin on Cunard. Will your cabin be just a place to sleep and bathe? Or do you plan to spend a lot of time in there? I have never had a problem with Cunard's cabins. Even after staying in a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL- about three times the size of most cabins I have ever sailed in- Still. I chose the 3 Jan Panama trip on the QM2 this year over the Feb 22 Inaugural on the Nooordam.

Do what is right for you.

We can give you information, but only YOUR opinion matters!

Karie,

who hopes to see you some day on Cunard!

My wife and I just returned from a 04/29 QM2 Transatlantic from NY to Southampton, and were disappointed. This was at least our 3rd Transatlantic, the first on the QM2. We just did not like the ambience or "feel" of the QM2 - the food was adequate but certainly not up to Celebrity standards. The Todd English restaurant was ok - and the appetizers in the champagne bar were less than adequate. We are in our mid 50s and felt at home with the age groups represented - but just did not like the ship. I know there are many people who take repeated trips on this ship, but after doing Celebrity, HAL and Princess, I just don't get it. Different strokes for different folks.

I think it depends on your wishes and what you feel you can put up with. I haven't done either yet, but will be doing the QM2 for the first time this December. Each line offers a different lifestyle and there even tends to be differences between ships. I can't say anything bad about RCCL but, for me and me only, I tend to think its not the line for me as I am not the adventurer type. I read the Cruise Critic report on the new Freedom of the Seas and thought "Glad I am going on the QM2". I think you'll have to read up on what both ships offer and decide what type of traveller you are.

I have not sailed on the QM2 yet but you may want to consider a sailing with Cunard especially if you are already booked on the Navigator. It will be a very different experience. I sailed on the Navigator back in January and on the Explorer 2 weeks ago. Both great cruises (though did like the Explorer a lot better for some reason) but very similar. Same menus, very similar decor, same activities, etc. The 2 ships are almost carbon copies of one another. I'm all for new experiences and trying different things. Can't wait to sail the QE2 in January.

I have sailed on both QM2 and Voyager of the Seas (sister to Explorer of the Seas). They are both great vacation destinations but I personally enjoyed the QM2 much much more. However, one should definitly try a voyager-class ship at least once. The Royal Promenade and three level restaurant are spectacular. Everything onboard is supersized, so be prepared for a crowd and some minor waits. The ice skating show was a lot of fun, and so were the themed parades down the Royal Promenade. Some people do not like to travel in a floating mall, but it is something to see. I think the QM2 and Voyager are exact opposites in terms of life onboard. The QM2 is more refined and elegant, while the Voyager had a younger, more energetic party crowd. There are many legitimate points for choosing each ship that should be considered. I cruised the Voyager before my first time on the Queen Mary 2. Up until QM2 I thought the Voyager was my favorite ship, but I obviously changed my mind. You will have the time of your life on which ever ship.

Archived