QV keel laying ceremony today May 19

highcbob

Peter,

Thanks for the picture post. It is a hard to put "200.jpg" into perspective. How high do you suppose that segment of the keel is ... 30~40 feet? What are those geometrical box-like things before and after? At first glance, I thought they were chairs lined up for the ceremony, but then realized they must be supports for when the rest of the keel is ultimately laid? If you come across any larger pictures let us know.

I wonder what a keel-laying ceremony entails. Do they lower the pre-fabricated piece on a crane? Or is it already laying there, and someone just makes a speech. Has anyone ever been to one of these events?

Paul

No that is not the Arcadia because we know the Arcadia was floated out as a whole ship and the QV (2) was preveously only a floating bow section and it matches up with the other two photos (shown on the Cunard website) and the section now it should be in the drydock with the keel...

Originally Posted by Paul NH

I wonder what a keel-laying ceremony entails. Do they lower the pre-fabricated piece on a crane? Or is it already laying there, and someone just makes a speech. Has anyone ever been to one of these events?

I remember a segment of a QM2 dvd that explained the tradition of dropping coins into the keel of a new ship. Below is an explanation of this ritual.

Then, in a tradition dating back over the centuries, two coins were placed in the keel of QM2. One was a commemorative £5 Queen's Golden Jubilee coin representing the UK, where QM2 will have its home berth in Southampton, while a silver 100 French franc coin was chosen to recall the country where the ship is being built.

The coins are a custom, believed to have originated in ancient Greece, intended to bring luck to the ship, the builders, owners and to all those who sail on board the ship.

This excerpt was taken from this site: http://www.nqsouthern.com/digitalpublication/digitalpublications/index.cfm?dpid=89&section_id=547&article_id=1546

Cruiserking

The keel laying ceremony received coverage on tonight's BBC South TV news. It showed the section being lowered into place in the drydock. It showed Commodore Warwick giving a short speech in 'Italian'. But more importantly the report laboured the BBC 'rumour' that QV was the 'replacement' for QE2 - Carol Marlow was interviewed and asked this question but sidestepped by saying that they 'hoped' they might keep QE2 going as long as possible.

The BBC clearly thinks it knows something we don't!!!

Ken

Cunard is promoting QV as a "true oceanliner". To be a true oceanliner one must have speed, sleek hull and have extra thick steel hull. QV is a cookie cutter design of the HAL lVista class.

Then that would eliminate 90% of the oceanliners ever built. What about Cunard's Saxonia class - only 22 knots, chunky 1950's hull and 4 of them (does that make them cookie cutter design???) I think people can denigrate too quickly the rapid modern technological advances that can produce these huge vessels so effortlessly. How well I remember QE2 being denigrated when she was first revealed to the public - today some would think she was the only liner ever built.

Ken

Ken,

Agree - during the 'golden age' of ocean travel, the vast majority of liners were 20/20s - 20,000 tonnes, capable of 20 knots - the 'express liner' class (upon which all attention now seems to focus) were an economically highly marginal minority - and slower ships - such as MAURETANIA (II) had their own followings of people who didn't want to get across the Atlantic at maximum speed and not infrequently maximum discomfort. So too with air travel the 747 may be the 'Queen of the skies' - but the majority of Transatlantic air travel is in more prosaic 767s.....

Peter

I think people can denigrate too quickly the rapid modern technological advances that can produce these huge vessels so effortlessly. How well I remember QE2 being denigrated when she was first revealed to the public - today some would think she was the only liner ever built.

Ken

Well said Ken

I am no fan of Queen Victoria, either inside or out. But my (and everyone else's) opinion is based only on CGI images.

I believe that externally she will look a lot like Arcadia (ok, different color hull and funnel), ie a cruise ship. But she may be built to enable her to cross TA quite often each year (not just positioning) we don't know yet. The top speed may not be "express liner" speed but how many liners were able to exceed 30 knots? Most were 20/20 ships. OK QV will be a 90 (,000 tons) / 20 (knots) ship.

Internally, I am very disappointed with her faux victorian "look". The atrium is clearly inspired by the 1st class dining room of France (1912). But I was very disappointed with the early CGI pics of QM2. The real thing is far better. It well be so with QV.

I am disappointed that Carnival are promoting her as a Cunard "Queen" Ocean Liner when she clearly is not. If they plan to develop the line they could have kept the "Queen" title for future (25 knots+) ships like QM2 and named her "somethingia" rather than have decided that all Cunard ships must be Queen something. From Carnival's point of view I can see it's all branding.

Your point about QE2's reception in 1969 is well made. Professional opinion was very positive at the time, however, the public's opinion was mixed to say the least. Then, just as now, there were many who felt that she was not a real Cunard Liner. Imagine the shock of passengers who were used to the 3 deck high dining room or saloon on Queen Mary, coming to the low deck head of the Columbia resturant or Queen's room 2 years later. Many (visitors and press) thought that the Double Room was the first class lounge. Now the Queen's Room is the most famous room afloat.

As you say, many think that QE2 is the ONLY ocean liner. QM2 has a planned life of 40 years, I won't be around but I'll bet that she will attract the same sort of attention when she comes close to retirement as QE2 does now.

Queen Victoria may surprise us all, time will tell, I still think (at the moment) that she will be a mistake by Carnival who feel they can brand any ship a Queen and that's all it takes to make her "Cunard". I think they're wrong. But let her enter service before we finally judge. Those of us with long memories can remember QE2's early years and the negative opinion, we can all remember the purists damming QM2 before she made her debut. Now, of course, they all see she IS a true atlantic liner for this age.

Give QV a chance. (Despite my reservations, I will try!)

Gosh!!! Thanks for the agreement Peter and Pepper!!!

Must admit that I have always agreed that it was unfortunate for Cunard to create another Queen when she is not intended primarily for transatlantic service. My preferred names were Mauretania or Aquitania - they would be far more amazing and iconic than QV, but that's another story!!!

Must say that the frenzied criticism by many of the use of the word 'oceanliner' is a bit harder to swallow. When is an oceanliner not an oceanliner - or when is a cruiseship not a cruiseship? As far as I can see the name is attibutable solely because of the service that a ship performs - so, QM2 is an oceanliner because she operates scheduled line voyages across the ocean between Southampton and New York. It has nothing to do with her appearance, speed, interior decor or structural suitability. Does this make sense? Under the above definition it is questionable that QV will ever operate as an 'oceanliner' (though we don't know for sure). However .... QE2 (although originally sailing oceanline voyages) now operates solely as a cruiseship so in theory is no longer an 'oceanliner' either - but will the critics of 'QV the oceanliner' quit referring to QE2 as an oceanliner .... no, I don't think so! All I am saying is that 'oceanliner' is being used by some as a badge of honour to be worn only by some class of mythical elite greyhounds of the Atlantic whereas it should and could describe any passenger vessel (or balcony carrying barge as some would say) that was in regular line service across an ocean, however unwise that service might be.

Ken

Ken,

If you really want to get the liner-snobs going, you can always point out that its really 'just' a ferry - hence 'North Atlantic Ferry'. In fact, today's ships owe a lot more to ferry design than ocean liner design......

Peter

Ken,

If you really want to get the liner-snobs going, you can always point out that its really 'just' a ferry - hence 'North Atlantic Ferry'. In fact, today's ships owe a lot more to ferry design than ocean liner design......

Peter

Peter

I studiously avoided the word 'ferry' - even to the extent of mentioning ocean line voyages. Ferries are the new liners really!!! Nothing wrong there, some North Sea Ferries today are more luxurious than QE2!!!

By the way have you read Stephen@stoneyard's review of the QE2 post refit cruise. Sounds like a disaster to me - but at least the new carpets are nice!!! If that happened on QM2 can you imagine the commotion on this Board????

Ken

..... and not even roll on roll off !!!!!

Ok you've got me there :). I understand that every drop of petrol/gas and any excess oil had to be drained from each car, that there were lifts and turntables for the cars (what happened to them?) fore and aft (near A and H stairways?) going down to 7 and 8 decks?.

Ok you've got me there :). I understand that every drop of petrol/gas and any excess oil had to be drained from each car, that there were lifts and turntables for the cars (what happened to them?) fore and aft (near A and H stairways?) going down to 7 and 8 decks?.

Now you've got me!!! I'm sure Peter or Doug will know the answer to that....

Paul,

Difficult to say....but we know the QV beam is 103 feet......its funny though - the Cunard web site still has other pictures of the QV - but I guess it may be ARCADIA:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/QueenVictoria/default.asp?Active=about&sub=makingof

Peter

Note the disclaimer under these obvious photographs- Either that or the "artist" is either a photographic artist or quite skilled at drawing and painting!

At the time of going to press Queen Victoria is under construction and images featured on the website are artist impressions only. Final designs and decor may vary.

Karie,

who suspects the former

Peter

I studiously avoided the word 'ferry' - even to the extent of mentioning ocean line voyages. Ferries are the new liners really!!! Nothing wrong there, some North Sea Ferries today are more luxurious than QE2!!!

By the way have you read Stephen@stoneyard's review of the QE2 post refit cruise. Sounds like a disaster to me - but at least the new carpets are nice!!! If that happened on QM2 can you imagine the commotion on this Board????

Ken

All I could think of was the major overhaul of the mid-nineties- This time appears to be a bit better than that one. As I remember (this is all strictly from memory) they had to cancel or delay several cruises and yet, there was bad water, no water, welding in the hallways and in some staterooms, nonworking toilets, geysers in toilets, hammering in the hallways, etc. She was not yet fit for duty, but they didn't want any more bad publicity and liability for cancelled cruises than they had already suffered, and they had made a big public bally-hoo about her new look and improvements, so they put her to sea anyway, to much public complaint and ridicule!

Now these are strictly my recollections, as someone totally not-knowledgeable and new to cruising!

Karie, who considered going on her after that shake-out voyage, but elected not to.

..... and not even roll on roll off !!!!!

The cars were roll on, roll off. They used to drive up through shell door, then into a 'Thunderbirds' style lift, that rotated through about 90 degrees. After the lift it went into 5 hold, and got lashed down there. #3 hold (forward) hasn't been used for cars for some time. #5 hold was last used a couple of years ago, and is now used for storing technical items as it adjacent to tech stores.

Archived