Sensation Review

br76jook

Here is a review of our Carnival Sensation cruise on 4/14/06. First all, I didn’t notice any of the problems others have talked about on previous cruises. There were no bad odors, no excessive motion and everything seemed to be in fine working order. Staff all seemed friendly and there to help.

Embarkation went quick and we were on the ship within a half hour. Our bags were at our cabin just a short time after we made it. Our cabin steward never really introduced herself but did a good job, was always smiling and was able to answer any questions over the next few days. The cabin was ok for being an inside stateroom. I noticed the condition of the tile in the shower showed the ship’s age. I was disappointed there was no fridge and we did not get bathrobes but not a big deal. It was always a little on the cold side, even with the air turned all the way down.

The food during the cruise was just ok. I did not think diner was anything extravagant but usually found one or two main dishes every night to order. Portions were a little small but you can always order two. There were several people in shorts and a few in jeans on casual nights. On formal night most dressed appropriately but I still saw several men in slacks and only a collared shirt. Lunches in seaview grill were a little disappointing. I didn’t think there was much of a selection and never found the quality to be all that great. The salad bar was under stocked and didn’t see much in the way of fresh fruit. The deli did have some excellent sandwiches and the hot dog/hamburger line was pretty good. We ate in the seaview grill one night for dinner and regretted it. The selection was bad; only one line of the two available was open. It did not seem to be any different than the type of food available at lunch. We made it to two midnight buffets. They were no different quality than lunch. They never had a “grand” buffet but maybe that is only on longer cruises. We had coffee and croissants delivered to our room most mornings. A warning, when you put the time you want breakfast delivered on the door hanger, expect it about 15 minutes earlier. Happened every time. Breakfast on the lido deck was really plain: sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, cereal, fruit, pancakes, French toast, etc. I thought they would have smoked salmon but I never saw any. Bar service at the bars was good. Most beer and regular drinks ran about $5.

Freeport was not much to write about. On our taxi ride to Lucaya we saw plenty of evidence of hurricane damage. We spent a very short time in the Lucaya marketplace but not enough to tell you much about it. The nearby beach was very nice. The water was pretty clear and calm, would be great for kids. The beach wasn’t crowded at all and there were plenty of places nearby to get refreshments. I highly recommend the small stand in the marketplace selling daiquiris in coconut shells. Very tasty.

I had been to Nassau a few times before so did not do much there. Did a little shopping for cigars and in the straw market. We had scheduled a snorkeling trip in the afternoon but bad weather rolled in. Carnival did not cancel the trip but at the last minute gave everyone the option of going or getting a full refund. We chose the refund due to rain, high winds and very choppy waters.

On board entertainment was pretty good. The cruise director, Wee Jimmy, was always entertaining. The discos were always hopping at night and usually had a good crowd. Barry in the piano bar was entertaining but not so loud you couldn’t still have a conversation. He was good at getting the audience to participate. We didn’t see any of the production shows. We caught an adult only comedy routine of T.C. Tahoe. He was just okay. The calypso band by the pool was pretty good.

Debarkation went ok. We chose to carry our own bags out. There was the usual pile up in the lobby and stairwells waiting to get to the gangway. Immigration was also backed up. We ended up finally getting in our vehicle and on the road at about 9:00. I guess that's really not too bad.

All in all, the cruise was okay. I've been on 4 cruises. It has been over 10 years since my last Carnival cruise and I noticed a difference. I last cruised on R.C. and tried not to compare the two but it was hard. It seems like Carnival has gotten more casual and less elaborate, especially with the food. I also didn’t see the games/activities geared towards drinking like I did last time. I considered that a good thing. Even though we had a good time, that was probably my last Carnival cruise.

Thanks for the review!

I cruised on the Sensation in November of 2004 and the food in the dining room was fantastic, "better than the Conquest". Also there were absolutely no shorts or T-shirts in the dining room at dinner.

It seems that the Sensation dining has gone downhill. Very sad!

A warning, when you put the time you want breakfast delivered on the door hanger, expect it about 15 minutes earlier. Happened every time.

That's so funny that you mention this because when we were on the Miracle, room service consistently showed up 15-20 minutes before the time specified on our card. Many mornings we just stumbled to the door in our jammies barely able to see through half closed/sleepy eyes. :D

hi just got home yesterday from sensation. we had cat. 12 penthouse it was not as large as we all imagined there was a fridge but did not really get cold. the rest i agree with all was well just not as fancy as i remember 16 yrs. ago.

We are goin in September on her. On short cruises I don't expect much except a good time and if you can't have a good time on a cruise it is your own fault. We plan on staying on the Island as long as we can. We are going on a 3 day in Nassau from 10:00am till 7:00am the next day:)

I have been on ling cruises and nice ships some days their food wasn't anything to write home about mostly in the mornings. But always had a great time.:) ;)

We are goin in September on her. On short cruises I don't expect much except a good time and if you can't have a good time on a cruise it is your own fault. We plan on staying on the Island as long as we can. We are going on a 3 day in Nassau from 10:00am till 7:00am the next day:)

I have been on ling cruises and nice ships some days their food wasn't anything to write home about mostly in the mornings. But always had a great time.:) ;)

I'm going to be on the Sensation in September also. Going on the 3 day September 21st cruise. This will be our first cruise.

We will be there the 21st also. We are staying as cheap as we can and as not much luggage--We always eat in the dining room on other cruises dress up everything--this time just plain fun--we are bumming it all the way down to a inside cabin. If we like it we will try to do these at least 2-3 times a year.

Hi, we are leaving 6/11 on the Sensation. Thanks for your review.

We (DH, 2 DD's-16 & 19 & myself) are looking forward to our trip. From previous reviews, I figured not to expect too much from Freeport, but will make the best of it. DH & myself have been to Nassau twice, last time being 16 yrs ago. Very curious to see the changes.

We're planning to do an excursion from the ship in Freeport & on our own in Nassau. Would like to snorkel on both islands. Any input as to what was popular & things to stay away from would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Archived