Train travel to cruise from Venice.

I have a question about train travel (trenitalia) from the Milan airport to Venice. I'm flying into Venice from Philly because it was a nonstop and half the price of flying into Venice. Anyway, I can take the train from Milan to Venice for under $30, a few dollars more or less depending upon whether I go 1st class or 2nd class. I've been unable to find out the difference between 1st class and 2nd class accommodations on the train. Is anyone able to shed some light on what exactly is the difference between the two options. Thanks.

I'm doing research for an eastern Med. cruise out of Rome next year, and we want to take the train from Rome to Venice for a few days pre-cruise. I came across the answer to your question, but can't remember where, or what the answer was. :o

I do know that these websites have some very, very helpful information on train travel in Italy: http://www.slowtrav.com (just great info on how things are done in Italy - from train travel, to driving, to buying produce in the grocery store), http://www.ricksteves.com (he has some very specific advice about train travel) and http://www.portreviews.com (info. on train travel, including photos to help in explaining what is what.)

HTH! Enjoy Venice and your cruise! :)

Most of the time, you will find a larger seat in first class, just as with the airlines. On the newer trains, they are considerably more comfortable. Although you get there at the same time, first class really is a nicer way to do it, IMHO and worth the premium.

On the Eurostar, we got free sodas and a snack, nothing to jump up and down about.

We found in 2005 that you will find a wide range of ticket prices among the various agencies, especially for the Eurostar. Here's a link to the website we used: http://www.italiarail.com/tickets/IR/IR.asp?AFF=TRE

The prices were significantly less (by 25% or so) than a couple of other website we used.

Have a wonderful trip!

Go to the official website - trenitalia.com - to look for specific schedules and to purchase first or second class tickets. You can also purchase your tickets at the train station, but buying first class online lets you get on the train holding only your email "receipt" without having to get official tickets. Simply show the email to the conductor when he/she comes through the train.

KnoxvilleSam

I've lived in Italy and have always - and continue to use - trains.

Standing in line at Italian train stations in large cities is not fun. As an alternative, most travel agencies in Italy sell train tickets. You will sit down at a T.A.'s desk, and he/she will lead you through the process (1st vs. 2nd class, reserved vs. non-reserved seat, Eurostar reservation vs other type of train, etc). There are usually one or more travel agencies right by the main rail stations. This is the way I do it. It is cheaper to buy tickets in Italy than to use an agency to buy them outside of Italy.

As a college student in Italy, I always traveled 2nd class. Depending on when you go, it can be a zoo. Sunday evenings and nights during the summer are really bad. I mean, really, really bad.

Now, I always travel 1st class, and I always reserve a seat, unless I am on a local train that does not allow for seat reservations. The train system is heavily subsidized by the Italian government. The fares are much less than Amtrak for the same distance.

When traveling in Italy, here are some tips/things to keep in mind: when boarding a train, Italians will not form a neat, straight line. They will group themselves around the door to the train, and everyone will move forward at once. It is not impolite to "join the crowd." Unless you have a reserved seat, don't stand back and wait your turn. (You'll be waiting a long, long time...) After purchasing your train ticket, don't forget to activate it by using one of the machines on the track where you board. If an "inspector" on the train asks to see your ticket and it is not "validated," you will get fined. If your train doesn't take reservations, and all the seats are taken, make sure to stand in 1st class if you have a 1st class ticket. If you stand in 2nd class, or sit down in 2nd class, you will get fined. Years ago, being American, young, female and able to cry on demand SOMETIMES worked in escaping the fines (sigh). Not now.

Any questions, just ask.

Joan

Archived