Theft in Bermuda

morgan1312

I just returned from my 4th cruise to Beautiful Bermuda and I'm sad to say things are changing there, crime is infiltrating the island. My daughters book bag was stolen out of the basket on the back of her scooter while she was driving down the road!!!! The bungy cord wasn't wrapped through the bag, it was just pulled across it to keep it from bouncing out. The locals said that was actually a good thing, if she had wrapped it around they would have pulled it so hard they would have knocked her and her boyfriend off the bike. SO beware if you rent the scooters ask for the ones with the locked box on back or stow your valuables under the seat. Unfortunately there are so many side roads the thief got away and the cops doubt if they'll catch him.... luckily they were traveling with family and we were able to salvidge the rest of the vacation.

I go to Bermuda a lot,and I hate to say this,but the crime rate has been quite high for a number of years..it is just that it was kept very quiet.I was robbed back in 1971,stopping for a man crossing the street in town..he said thank you and grabbed my bag from the basket..it was not locked in back then.They have a big time drug problem on the island,and so robberies are up.It is to everyone's advantage to take special care of your belonging's no matter if you are riding a scooter,on the beach or in town.

I find it hilarious to read of a rising crime rate on Bermuda due to a stolen book bag. My wife and I walked all over Bermuda and felt safer than we do walking around most parts of northern NJ. People were fabulous and extremely friendly. Crime in Bermuda is nearly non existent compared to the Caribbean Islands.

There is an article today on the front page of the Travel section of the Washington Post about crime in Bermuda.The US State Dept. says it(Bermuda) has a "moderate but growing crime rate"and tha "petty thefts and assults occur regularly and have increased in intensity." I know this is not northern NJ,but to those who have been robbed of a backpack,purse,luggage,etc. in an area thought to be crime free it is not pleasant.I think the original poster and I meant only to tell those going to be aware of who and what is around them.We have been going for years and know many of those that live and work on the island and when they tell you to watch out..you watch out.It's just a head's up message.

I'm careful everywhere I go. Whether traveling out of the country or walking in own neighborhood. My comment about the lack of Bermuda crime was in comparison to the Caribbean. I think as long as you use your head you have nothing to worry about. Just don't walk down dark alley's in Hamilton at 3am and you should be fine. My wife wore her diamond ring while walking around Bermuda and did get some stares but nothing more than that. I did tell her next time leave it at home.

I too read the Washington Post article about a couple being robbed while they were sleeping in their condo. Of course they forgot to lock their door...which is exactly the warning. Take care wherever you go. Don't assume that any place is "safe"...Remember the old adage, "Better safe than sorry".:)

Being from NY the safest large city in the US, we are always shocked when we see crime. When we were taking a cab back to the ship in St George we saw police on the side of the road looking around we asked the cab driver and he said there had just been a purse snatching. When walking around the St George area we saw an arrest being made and the person refused to cooperate with the police. They finally had to pick him up and throw him into the back of the police car. He was making some sort of commotion after being ejected from the pub at the end of the pier... we didn't like the attitude of the pub and had drinks on the deck of Freddies.-- they were nice there. As in any place tourists are targets so carry as little cash and jewelry as possible, leave you valuables in the safe on the ship, and take a cab...

On our first Bermuda trip in 02 we were walking from the bus to the Crystal Caves and were "buzzed" by two young men on scooters. We were walking along the side of the road very close to the wall when the two scooter riders

sped up as they approached us and came so close that we thought that we would have to hit the wall to avoid being hit. They did not get my bag because

it was in a secure backpack that I was wearing. It was a definite act of aggression

I still love Bermuda and have been back since then, but I no longer have a false sense of security.

My feelings exactly MM, I'll definitely go back to Bermuda, but be more careful about my belongings.

My original post was just an FYI...if I had read about something like that before going, I would have warned everyone in our group to take precautions. We've been to Jamaica, Barbados and other parts of the Caribbean, by no means is Bermuda on a scale with those places (or North Jersey), but we did have a false sense of security and were a little naive about how safe it was and the fact that the drug problem and crime is escalating over the last few years was something the police and our friends who live there all told us.

Bermuda is always going to be the best place to go regardless of alittle crime for us.

Its a shame but in todays world every place has its problems. Even paradise.

We went out to St Davids lighthouse a few years ago and that area seems to be a depressed area of Bermuda, if there is such a thing.

poppabear I was wondering where you were..

we need your friendly posts in the mix and mingle thread :)

My link should take you there.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been that Bermuda is one of the safest islands to travel to. I left some valuables in a cab and the driver brought the items back to the ship. I also found the children in Bermuda to be extremely courteous and polite. Grafitti is almost non-existent. You will find more rude tourists than residents.

From other things I had read, I thought Bermuda was a true paradise. Though it still sounds like its a safer place to travel than most places, I appreciate being given the heads up regarding potential crime.

Will it decrease how much fun we have??? No way!

Will it change what I carry my money in? You bet.

As one of the other posters pointed it... it's better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks!

Bonnie

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Bermuda (via Celebrity Cruise Lines) and had an experience :) relevant to this thread.

We were taking a bus from Hamilton along the South Shore (Line #8 I think) and we passed by a pub my wife and I had gone to 25 years earlier (White Horse Inn) We quickly got off as the bus was stopping for someone else and our friend in the haste left his brand new, quite expensive digital camera on board. As soon as the bus sped off he realized what he had down and was, understantably, quite distraught.

Insinde the White Hosre Inn, the waitress calmed our friend down and the barteneder called the bus company, who called the bus and the camera was retrieved and brought back to the Hamlton Bus Terminal.

I think that camara would have been long gone in any large city in the USA.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the previous posting. Bermuda is my favorite island and I hope that it continues to remain a British Crown Colony. If it gains independence, I too fear that it will lose its current British proper image and become another Jamaica. What people forget about independence from Great Britain is that although they gain their indendence, they lose the British residents and the British Pounds that fund the country's infrastructure.

I just returned from the 9/6-9/11 Norweigan Crown from NYC to Bermuda voyage. My bag was stolen from the beach at Jobson's Cove. Fortunately, we were using "waterproof" fanny packs while swimming and snorkeling, so all of our cash, ID, and credit cards were not stolen. It was disappointing, but we didn't let it ruin our vacation. I would definitely go back to Bermuda - the only thing you can do is take "reasonable precautions" to limit your loses should something happen, and have a good time. This could have happened at any beach in the world as far as I am concerned.

Our first trip to Bermuda my wife was wearing her diamond ring and she was getting some serious stares from the locals which we both noticed. Nothing happened but I told her this time the ring stays home. As American tourist's we will all be looked at as being rich anywhere we go. My rule of thumb is try not to act too much like a tourist. Walk around with your head held high like you know where you are going even if you don't. A confident attitude is what the criminals avoid. They look at confused, nervous people as easy targets. Avoid asking for directions from people hanging out on the street in the middle of a weekday. If I need to ask a question I would seek out a home owner or business owner. Use your instinct.

Archived