Is 3+ a good age?

CookieBird

I am really wanting to take my child on a Disney cruise and am trying as hard as I can to wait until he is old enough. He will be 2 this summer and I am thinking that next summer or fall when he will be a little over 3 might be ok. I want him to be old enough to be excited about going and be able to do some of the activites. Would 7 days be too much or is 4 days better for this age?

I really want to take him to regular Disney too but I think I may have to suffer a while longer and wait until he is 4 or 5. I have been to Disney so many times as an adult I just can't wait to go and experience it through a child's eyes.

Thanks!

Hi,

I think around 4 is a perfect age. They are young enough it is all still pure magic to them. they are old enough to not be afraid of the characters.

Also they are completely potty trained so they can experience the clubs and the Mickey pool too. Plus alot of excursions you really need to be atleast 4 to be able to do them.

Plus he wont tire quite as easily and he willb e more sociable with alot of kids whom are strangers and the counselors too.

I think a 7 day would be awesome!!! It always take a day or two for them to adjust to the new surroundings and get use to the routines.

DL or WDW you are right the child should be older because waiting in all those lines is frustrating and tiring to kids and there is so much walking to do, even with a stroller.

DCL will be AWESOME around age 4!! Plus he is old enough to remember a lot of it too!! We took our grandkids around that age and it was perfect for them!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi,

I think around 4 is a perfect age. They are young enough it is all still pure magic to them.

As a grandma thinking about taking the grandkids (and their parents) on a Disney cruise, here's my question... How do you deal with little ones and bed time?

Even if the children are 5 or 6 or even older, you can't just put them in the cabin and tell them to go to sleep and then leave them ...so what do you do? I know there is a curtain between the sleeping areas, but I can guarantee you if I stay in the cabin with them and want to watch TV, they are not going to sleep. Ditto for keeping a light on so I can read. So, this means at least one adult must miss out on all the night time activities to stay with the children.

I know lots of people bring young children ...so how do you handle bed times???

Gloria in Miami

The kids clubs have sleep matts they roll out late at night, so if you want to do something in the evening, let the kids start out sleeping there a couple of evenings.They usually play a movie for the kids and they just fall asleep on the matts.

Also i have seen people in the Promenade lounge with kids sleeping along the padded seats along the back while they listen to music or visit with friends. Guess you would need help to take them back to the room or a stroller.

When we had young grandkids with us they were so excited that they stayed up as late as we did and then they slept like a rock all night.

We figured it was vacation for them too, so no real bedtimes. But there were a couple of extra long afternoon naps, for them and us!!

mom x4,grandma x4

3+ is a wonderful age. We just returned earlier this month from the 7-day Magic with our grandchildren (and their parents). Both the 3 year old and 6 year old are still talking about the wonderful time and experiences they had. This is particularly remarkable because they (not we) are fortunate to be on another exotic vacation already.

For konslerg: We had adjoining cabins and when the children were put down we, the grandparents, just stayed on our "side" and had no problem, watching TV or going to bed. As said before, the children generally stayed up later than usual, so their bedtime was probably closer to our (the older generation) bedtime.

Go for it! Don't postpone. I'm less concerned about the age of the children than I am about not being here to do the cruise with them or not able to do the cruise with them. It's Magical! We have fabulous memories.

HI!

We just returned from the Diney Wonder 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic! Wish I could live on a cruise!

We brought our 3 year old and 9 month old and it worked just fine. I was very nervous about everything from nap times, food, and behavior but it went so smooth! We only brought 1 suitcase and half of it was diapers for our infant, the other half light clothes. All the restaurants would puree food for our infant and our 3 year old ate whatever we ate so we didn't have to bring special food. We stuck to their nap schedules every morning and afternoon by taking turns in the cabin while the other went to the spa, pool, or whatever else. I suggest bring a noise machine or something because it can get kind of loud with kids running up and down hallways and people laughing and talking, but the soundmachine drowned everything out. We also used the kids club and nursery frequently so we got plenty of couple time as well. And of course plenty of family time. It was the perfect combination vacation! Didn't have to lift a finger, just worry about what to wear. I do stress keeping to a sleep schedule for the kids because they need it and if they don't get it it may not be pleasant for anyone. Anyway, our kids can't sleep well on matts, in lounges, strollers etc while there's a ton of other noise going on...maybe 20 min or so but not a solid 2-3 hour nap, which my kids need. The cabin was the best place for good sleep. But everyone is different so just try to stick to your normal routine and be flexible here and there.

Disney does an amazing job to cater and please everyone!

We went last year with my 2 nieces. At the time, they were (just turned)- 4 & 8, and they loved it. The 4 year old needed a nap every now and then, but she did fine. The 8 year old played in the kids camp, but the 4 year old didn't really like it.

I don't think 3 is too young.

Have fun! :)

Archived