What does "butler service" means ?

P'timousse

I am a first time cruiser hugely looking forward for my first ever transatlantic crossing on the QM2!.

I was over the moon when we received news that My husband and I would be upgraded. It was mentioned that our upgraded Queen grill cabin would include butler services. Since then I have frantically going through brochure and the web in order to ascertain waht does it means...

I understand that there would be some bringing of canapes being involved, perhaps help in booking things...

Is that all ?

I am starting to worry as I would not know how to behave.

I know that it sounds like a very nice trouble to have but I would be very happy to have any clarification from any of you.

Advance thanks to all.

P'timousse

PS . And, ho Yes, I am French, so please forgive the grammar and spelling errors

No problem -- at the start of the cruise, meet with the butler and ask him (or her) how they can help you during the cruise.

You will certainly not be the first or last person to ask -- and as the client/passenger you have the right to ask. Then mention anything you are uncomfortable with having done (for example, some people never want anyone else to unpack their personal things.)

Non-exhaustive list would include -- helping you unpack, questions about where things are located on the ship, booking your appointments onboard, running your bathwater (if you wish), arranging to send/receive laundry, perhaps a last minute pressing, etc. If you have any shipboard problems, ask him to deal with the other shipboard staff. That way you have one point of contact for any problem.

If you are the kind of person who likes to plan their day completely at the start, then ask to meet with your butler every morning to go over your schedule. That way, if he/she does chores for you that require presence in your cabin, he/she can do them while you are absent from the cabin.

My wife (who is francophone) and I (who am anglophone) certainly wish you a pleasant journey on the QM2 -- just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and relax, relax, relax.

And -- tell you husband he can ask the butler to check his shoes every day to see if they need shining and whether his clothes need pressing.

My wife (whom I also just asked) tells me if you do not need the butler, just send him to us -- she will keep him busy!!!

Not a generalization here just specific to our Queen's Grill experience. I think it is more of an "added value" to say see what you get for all that extra money. Our butler was like a ghost, we only caught fleeting glimpses of him. Had to call for ice and other things that he was responsible for that should have required no prompting from us. Had a dress sent out to be mended that he was to return. After 3 phone calls, we found out he never picked it up, and someone else had to bring it to our stateroom 15 minutes before the Captain's reception. Did not ruin our cruise, since we prefer our privacy and usually mangage tasks on our own. But if you are footing the bill and that includes a special service, it should be delivered.

Had to call for ice and other things that he was responsible for that should have required no prompting from us

I am truly shocked at what you experienced. Unless he was ill, or had another extremely demanding passenger, it doesn't sound like he warrants elevated status as a butler! (even then, it seems he might have enlisted the help of a co-worker or his supervisor) What you described above- expecting ice to be filled- is what we used to expect of a good Steward. It used to be kind of tacit, that if they saw you had brough booze (or chapagne to be kept on ice) they knew that if they kept that ice bucket full, your tip might be a bit more generous. With today's staffing level, I do feel that they are stretched too thin (along with their horribly chopped up hours, particularly for dining staff) to do the job that we all traditionally experienced in the past. Another part of traditional "luxury cruising" gone by- Of course, "luxury cruising" is more affordable than it ever was before, to a broader group of people. Never thought I would see the day when I would book two cruises in one year.

Karie,

who longs for the past, but appreciates the present and looks forward to the future... whatever that may bring!

Pisces 1 - - we had a totally different experience on our recent transatlantic crossing. Our butler was immensely helpful. Day one, he saw to our laundry (we were at the end of a month long journey) and had it back to us the early the next day at no extra charge. If I even walked down to the concierge lounge for tea or coffee, he was there to bring it back to the room for me. He was anywhere and everywhere without being intrusive. I came down with a terrible cold near the end of the voyage and he was most attentive. Ice, canapes, always in the room without fail. He even fixed our television!

Archived