Another Jewel balcony question

I've read the questions about the lifeboat covers blocking the view from deck 7 balconies to the ocean. I've seen the photos. What I can't figure out is if they are bothersome if you go above deck 7.

If you get a hump cabin, even if it's on the outer edges of the hump, is the lifeboat cover hidden? From looking at deck plans, it looks like it is.

I'm the official cruise and room picker in my group, but I've never been on a Radience class ship.

We were on deck 10-- and I don't recall even seeing a lifeboat. Seems like a non issue.

Nobody sees the lifeboats from their balcony, that´s why there are covers for the lifeboats.;)

To the OP:

None of the lifeboat covers obstructs the view from the balcony.

You have unobstructed views out to the ocean. Only thing you can´t do is stand at the railing and look straight down to the water as your balcony is not at the outer side of the ship. The ships hull is wider than the balconies.

We had the kind of balcony (on deck 9) that has a beautiful view in all directions, but it's true that if you look straight down you see the lifeboat covers. You still see plenty of ocean, just not that final absolute line where water meets hull somewhere directly below you.

Evidently some people have a strong enough preference for the view of sea against ship that they try hard to book an appropriate cabin if they can. Because of the design, they aren't many of them like that on the Radiance class ships.

BUT - I can't imagine the lifeboat covers bothering anyone enough to distract from having a great time and enjoying the otherwise spectacular views from the balconies. Besides, there are several (public) places on the ship where you can see the "water's edge" just fine.

So, in short, don't give it another thought.

We always go for Deck 7!! Here's another take on the lifeboat cover - in case of emergency, you can always walk on this canopy to another part of the ship!!! This is strictly forbidden of course, but sailors were walking across it whilst working near the balcony railings, so it is possible. Obviously, in case of fire, it would be better than jumping overboard!

As far as the view goes, never bothered us!! I did however, see a complaint on these boards, that pax in a cabin on the centrum were disturbed by the music there at night!! Something to consider - especially if you go to bed early!!

Archived