Is it best to book airfare through RCCL for a Mediterranean cruise?

Hi All,

I need some advice. We are looking into booking the 12 night Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance in October 2007. The airfare price that I was given was $1289.00 per person through RCCL (LAX to Barcelona). I know I am able to get it for a little less expensive. But my question is, are there advantages to booking your air through the cruiseline??

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, if any of you have ever done this itinerary, let me know how you liked it!

Luckily, we were able to book our airfare to Barcelona using frequent flier miles, so there was no out of pocket expense (ok, a little... taxes and a few fees). But we booked it for the day before, so we could make sure we were there in plenty of time, and to ovecome the jet lag, and we stayed one extra day on the back end, just so we could explore beautiful Barcelona some more.

It was an easy taxi ride from our hotel (just off Las Ramblas at the very top near the big city square) to the port (15 minute ride).

I personally like being able to control my airline schedule by picking which flights (and what kind of aircraft) and when they leave. But that's just the control freak in me. ;)

Our cruise was the 7 day Med on Splendour... a different port every day, which was great, but we almost needed a vacation from our vacation after being so busy with port touring every day! And we made sure to get late dinner seating so we wouldn't have to rush back from a tour to get dressed.

One advantage to booking with RCI is that your transfers between the airport and the ship (and reverse)are included. Have you priced how much that would be per person if you booked your own air? You may not be that much ahead once this is figured in.

Linda

Archived