questions about Xcaret Eco-Archeological Park

My wife and I are thinking about doing this excursion when we are in Cozumel but we also want to be able to just do some sight seeing as well. On rccl.com it says this excursion is 8 hours. I was wondering can leave early and take a taxi else where? Any advice would be greatly appreicated !!

DH and I also went on the Xcaret excursion about 3 yrs ago and can't say enough good things about this place. Totally worth the money. I actually could of spent alot more time there because it was so nice and huge. I would love to go back there for a weeks vacation sometime in the future and stay at one of their nearby hotels.

As far as knowing if you can leave and take a taxi to explore on your own, I really don't know. We loved it so much, we felt there was so much more to see but the bus was leaving to take us back to the boat.

This place is fantastic you will really love it. I'm not a great swimmer but anyone going into the underground river must wear a life jackets. They are the ones that strap you under/between your legs and then back up to top. They really make you feel secure and keep your head afloat. Even in the underground tunnels, you can still see your feet, that is how clear the water is. You cannot wear your own suntan lotion because it will wash off in the water, but they do give you some to use at the main gate for free.

I think you would be so in love with this place you won't want to leave - unless the bus is leaving. They have dancing at night etc but we had to leave before that started.

I was there in April of this year. While the park was beautiful and I wish I had more time to spend there, I was not happy with the bus arrangements. We docked at the pier (it had just reopened), took the ferry to the mainland, and found the tour guide. We then had to walk what seemed like a mile in the hot sun to the bus. People on the tour kept going into the shops that we passed on the way to the bus, so the tour guide had to stop to wait for them. He did not tell them not to stop to browse. It seemed like the bus could have met us closer to the ferry pier on a side street instead of a far away parking lot. The bus ride to the park took maybe 20 to 30 minutes. We had to be back at the bus by 5 pm. Time flew by very quickly. When we returned to the city, the bus driver dropped us off about 2 blocks from the ferry. Why couldn't they have picked us up at that same spot? Is it so that we could stop at the shops on the way to the bus? In any event, it was not a pleasant experience trying to get to the bus to get us to the park. The underground river is quite an experience. The water was a bit cold when I first got in, but it was fine after that. I would recommend it.

Archived