another insurance question

I am considering buying trip insurance but had a question that I was hoping some of you could answer. Our cruise is in August which has threats of hurricanes. If RCCL cancels a cruise completely (for whatever reason) what happens if you DO NOT have insurance? The weather is really my only concern as far as purchasing isurance. I don't mind missing ports and spending days at sea but I don't want be out 2 grand because of a Hurricane! Thanks.

Then buy the insurance. and buy it early. If a tropical strom has been named before you buy the insurance it will not cover your loss. We always buy the insurance. Have never needed it yet!! But if you have a accident or illness, you will be glad you have it. Happened to some friends of ours on a cruise 2 years ago. They did not have the insurance because they had been told by there insurance agent that they would be covered. They weren't covered they found out after they turned in the bills.

If you do not have insurance, then you are at the mercy of whatever RCI decides to do for you. Refund, future cruise credit or tough luck. I know one person who had her cruise cancled on Carnival maybe 10 years ago due to a hurricane and didn't have insurance. Her and her boyfriend were just out all of their money.

Lately it seems as if the cruise lines aren't telling people to bad and are doing something for them. Although I did find on RCI's web site a statement that they didn't have to do anything. Thus, you are at their mercy.

IMO I'd rather have the insurance and get reimbursed in cash, not a future cruise credit that might have exclusions or exceptions tied to it. I'd also like reimbursement if I have to fly into the debarkation port only to find out the cruise was cancelled. It seems as if cruise lines like to wait until the last minute, creating a hardship on cruisers who arrive early and then have to evacuate the area. I'd like to feel protected from any fee's the ailrine or hotels might hit me with.

Having said this, read the insurance policies VERY CAREFULLY. They can be chock full of exception and exclusions that can let them out of paying a claim. Most travel insurance policies seem to be stated peril policies that only pay if certain conditions are met, not just if the cruise is cancelled or you miss your flight for any particular reason. We were out $1,400 in airfare becaue the definition of trip interuption/travel delay did not meet the definition of the insurance policy (Travelsafe) when a fisherman's strike in Spain delayed us getting off the ship by around 12 hours. While ours did not pay, other cruisers policies with different companies (CSA and TravelEx that I know of) DID pay the claim.

We are going on the Freedom in July and just found out that my mother-in-law has cancer. I want to go ahead and purchase Travelex Lite insurance (I think that is what it is called) for our trip, but I'm a little confused about how to enter our cost. We have two separate rooms, one room for my husband and I, and the other room for our two daughters (ages 21 & 18). I'm assuming that since I booked both of the rooms at the same time (directly through RCCL), that they are linked somewhere in their computer. When I purchase the insurance online, do I enter the total cost of the entire trip for the four of us, or do I do two separate policies (one for them and one for us)? Their offices are closed right now, or I would ask them.

Holly, if you are paying the total cost for both rooms, you can put them all together for one policy. You're insuring the total COST, not the number of rooms you have. :)

Holly, if you are paying the total cost for both rooms, you can put them all together for one policy. You're insuring the total COST, not the number of rooms you have. :)

Great! I originally got a quote based on the entire price, but when I went to actually purchase it, I suddenly was afraid that if I got it for the entire cost and then something happened, they would only pay for the room that has my name on it. It's good to know that isn't the case.

Thanks for the info!

Archived