Calica shore excursion

macyray

Am cruising on Inspiration (Tampa) to Cayman and Calica. My daughter (9) really wants to experience Mexico. In other words, I believe she has visions of Mariachi type bands, bright colors, and a "fiesta" feel. Are there any excursions which fit the bill? I am a beach man, and will do 7 mile in Cayman, but Calica is for her.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

First, tell your daughter not to be disappointed when you dock at Calica. It's a working rock quarry, not too attractive. However, once you get off the ship, there will be plenty of cabs to take y'all into Playa del Carmen. (Cabs are $10 per cab, not per person.) About a 10 minute ride, and you're there.

In PdC, lots of shopping, public beach, good restaurants on Avenue 5. I've seen locals performing in the little park area near the beach. Not every time I've been there, though. It's a fairly small 'town', and last time I was there they were repairing the streets. I hope she'll enjoy some of the local color, and that something will be going on that will delight her!:)

AGI Tours!

We've used them several times for full day tours. They will pick you up at the port of Calica and take you to see anything your heart desires and your time affords.

They provide a/c vehicles, with licensed and insured driver who speaks English. He has a complimentary cooler of beverages, too! They can also provide you with a licensed tour guide to ride along. Daniel was wonderful!

We went to the ruins at Ek Balam, Valladolid, and to the Hekab Be library in Akumal in March.

Javier will take great care of you!

just returned from 5nt...if u got to 7 mile on gr cayman, make sure the driver drops u off at a place that has stuff...they like to drop u off right where the condos r...a small dirt path is the beach acess...u cannot sit on the chairs..condo police will not allow it. no restrooms...sea grapes beach is supposed to be the best...but..allow an hour ina cab each way...if u go thru the ship..carnival is a huge rip-off..but with such a small amount of time they r responsible for gettin u back in time. they will say 1:00 is the last tender to the ship...it isnt..we went on the stingray/reef safari...great! got back around noon-12:20..shopped for t-shirts and went to get in line at 1:00. the line will be stretched downt he sidewalk and around the parking lot..the ship left at 2:15 and EVERYONE went to teh lido for lunch...calica was fun..10 min cab to playa del carman. there is a cab stand at the ship. u pay b-4 u get in the cab..E-Z..5th avenue is where its at...shops, restaurants...guys with iguanas...and macaws..a small park too. and mexican music... u can smell the food..do not eat at senor frogs!! my pal just had too....a plate of nachos...$11.50 us dollars...no meat just beans/cheese.. my dh had fajitas, 2 cokes...26 bucks... we stopped at a small hotel, they r all over, u can sit down and order a drink...the owner said we could eat local for about $3.99.... the pier/ferry to cozumel is right next to senor frogs....we went to this beach after lunch..not again..usually if u sit in chairs on a beach, they expect u to buy drinks/munchies...not here...10 bucks for a plastic talbe and umbrella...20 for little loungers./umbrella...6 bucks for a water and a can of sprite...mamitas beach club has a pool... but the 5th ave area is safe and clean, we loved the area....inspiration does not have a fridge or hair dryers...

We were just there last week with a group of seniors. They really loved Playa! We went to the Fifth Ave area. This is the way to experience the real Mexico in my opinion. The public beach runs parallel to Fifth Ave. There is much shopping and many local places to eat. We did an excursion in Cozumel and then visited the area where the only port is. We didn't have time to take a taxi farther into Cozumel, but the area where Panchos Restuarant is very commercial and you really don't get the real feel of Mexico. We went to a private beach here that was nice, but Cozumel is still very damaged from the hurricane.

Archived