Early Vs Late seating

Astronomer

The closer we get to our first cruise, the more I seem to be worrying.

Spoke with a couple this weekend that had sailed on the Pride, the one VERY IMPORTANT tip they has was that we should choose the early seating, and not the late seating as the food was better on the early seating.

They said all the meat was too well done on the late seating. The food just was not as good.

Usually I take things people say with a cow lick of salt, but this one threw me.

I had booked us on the late seating for several reasons.

Although we usually eat fairly early at home, on vacation we seem to use a later time clock, staying up well into the night.

The late seating offers us more time in port in locations like PV where they ship will be there quite late.

The later seating we have heard has fewer children, we love children, we must, we had 4 of them, but we like well behaved children which seems to be going out of fashion these days.

Now I am doing a double take.. perhaps I made a mistake?

Or am I worrying needlessly... again. ( or is that still? ) :eek:

We just returned in April from a six nite sail on the liberty. This was our second cruise and first with teen daughters. Both we had late seating. We found the food exceptional at late seating. I would discount those comments as "Hog Wash". Food service personell can well handle the different dinner times.

We like late seating because we can come back on board when ever we want. Order a lite snack from room service, catch a nap, or watch the ship sail away from port, grab a cocktail etc. Relax before dinner. Why be rushed. I would say stay with late seating if you want to extend your day, the food is fine.

Note I have ate in resturants at all different times of the evening and the quality of the meal has never ran consistent with the time that we eat. If I order a rare steak, was it cooked at the 5:30PM early seating and left waiting for me? I doubt it.

I'm sailing on Pride with DD (8 yrs old) and had booked the late seating as I like the relaxation of not having to rush to dinner. DD loves fine dining. I have heard great things from others about late seating, but changed to early only becasue DD wanted to partake in Camp Carnival activities.

DD is very well behaved at dinner, but you are correct, many kids these days have not been taught appropriate restaurant manners!

When do you sail, would love to hear a report!

Thank you! I needed that reassurance.

My wife and I love dining out, we have thorughly enjoyed everything from a 5 star restraunt to a hole in the wall, greesy spoon kitchen.

But.. we do like our meat medium rare.

Katnapa... click on the 2 bottom links on my sig...

I guarantee you a full trip report....probably longer than you will want to read.

Because there were no other diners after us we were able to relax and enjoy our meal, sit and talk with our wait team a little and banter with them, very relaxing. We did see a few kids, ours two teens daughters 16 and 17 as well as a few others, no toddlers, crying babies etc.

Relax, enjoy your cruise everything will be fine.

Dean Hamy

Early or late seating is totally a personal preference. We prefer late seating because we can take our time returning from an excursion and getting ready for dinner. I enjoy some sushi and a cocktail while my wife is getting dressed. The quality of the food is just as good at the late seating.

.......... and had booked the late seating as I like the relaxation of not having to rush to dinner. DD loves fine dining. I have heard great things from others about late seating, but changed to early..........

First - You haven't booked anything. You have requested late seating. All dining seatings are requests only. You won't know for sure until you receive your Sail & Sign card just prior to boarding the ship.

Look at your card, and if it isn't what you want, the Maitre d' may be able to change it for you. When you first get to your cabin, there will be a copy of the "Capers" (ship's daily newsletter). In there will be an announcement as to when and where the Maitre d' can be seen to take requests for changes. Go earlier than the appointed time, as the lines do get long.:)

I like the others have always enjoyed late dining, able to relax longer... Never have I had a bad experience on my 8 cruisies with bad food on late seating, but I will try almost anything once :p , I do have well behaved children who will sit and enjoy cutting up with the wait staff , so we all have fun....go, good luck and enjoy!!!!

Tina

We always have to eat at the early seating due to hubby's sleep apnea. He isn't suppose to eat anything heavy after 7pm; hence he does not do the midnight buffet. Since we have never eaten anything but the early seating, I can't comment on the late seating food quality. But personally, I would think that is nonsense.

Since your dining time is only a request, I am glad we are Platinum members now. One of the perks is a priority about your dining time.

Our first 5 cruise we had late seating. Loved it. No rush in the afternoon to get ready, no rush back from excursions, etc. Always seemed like after dinner we were too whooped to do much.

Tried early seating this cruise to try to get more nightlife going. Had to rush to get ready, really seemed to put a damper on at-sea days. And, after we did dinner, and went to the show, there was nothing going on! Everything seemed to be happening much later, but nothing in between 10:30 and 12:00.

Back to late seating!

We have never heard complaints about the food quality of late seating. We are big eaters, so we always do early seating. This gives us an excuse to eat again. In 5 cruises, we’ve only missed one late night feed.

Happy sailing

We have had both, the early and late seating for dinner. The food was just as great at both seatings. We prefer the 8:00 seating as we are not as rushed to get ready for dinner. We like to dress for dinner, its part of the cruise experience for us.

Try both seatings on different cruises and you will find out which you prefer.:cool:

Just enjoy the ship and the cruise experience!;)

Hey Astronomer!

You should be fine with the late seating. We have requested late seating also. We had requested early seating on our last cruise but that was on the Victory and they had 2 early and 2 late seatings. We requested the later of the early seatings (6:15 p.m.) and we got it but a couple of nights, it was still too early. We had to rush getting back from our excursions.

On the Pride with only 2 seatings, I just think the early is too early and it will be nice to have that time to relax before dinner.

It's getting close now! Can't wait...

The closer we get to our first cruise, the more I seem to be worrying. Or am I worrying needlessly... again. ( or is that still? ) :eek:

LOL Astronomer!

You are not a "worryer", you are just "detail oriented".:D

Just one more dining tip to add to your detail oriented mind (because I am the same way).

When I get on the ship, I like to visit the maitre'd at the times posted in the capers.

First of all making sure that I have the dining time I requested (which you know before this when you get to the dock) and if not get it changed.

But also, I like to check my table, and make sure that:

#1 I like the location.

I've been stuck by the galley doors before, and right at the entrance of the dining room (too much continual traffic), and got those changed.

#2 I like the size of the table.

I like to sit at a big table with lots of soon to be new friends.

#3 I have an idea of the people they are seating me with.

The maitre'd will have a general idea of this information. One time I wanted to be at a table with couples, and they did this and were able to tell me beforehand. Another time, I went with my brother, and wanted to make sure it was all singles. But one time, they had me and my girlfriend at a table with a family with 4 kids under 10 years:eek: . I was able to get that changed on that first afternoon, and glad I checked beforehand.

Just more tips to get detail oriented about.;)

CJW

PS, and yes, stick with late seating.

We've had both early and late seatings and never noticed any difference in food. Did feel rushed at the late seatings a time or two - suspect waitstaff doesn't want you hanging around when they want to finish up the job.

My suggestion would be to go with your used to at home. I was miserable being stuffed to the gills at 10PM when I usually have dinner at home at 6PM.

The closer we get to our first cruise, the more I seem to be worrying.

Spoke with a couple this weekend that had sailed on the Pride, the one VERY IMPORTANT tip they has was that we should choose the early seating, and not the late seating as the food was better on the early seating.

They said all the meat was too well done on the late seating. The food just was not as good.

Usually I take things people say with a cow lick of salt, but this one threw me.

I had booked us on the late seating for several reasons.

Although we usually eat fairly early at home, on vacation we seem to use a later time clock, staying up well into the night.

The late seating offers us more time in port in locations like PV where they ship will be there quite late.

The later seating we have heard has fewer children, we love children, we must, we had 4 of them, but we like well behaved children which seems to be going out of fashion these days.

Now I am doing a double take.. perhaps I made a mistake?

Or am I worrying needlessly... again. ( or is that still? ) :eek:

I like early, so the kids can get back to camp carnival, early show too I like

I have taken quite a few cruises, and always prefer the late dining over early. I have kept in mind that kids would be at early dining and that is usually a major concern, also like another person said, running back to ship straight into dining room is not much fun, I also like to see the ship depart.

My major reason for choosing late dining is that I prefer to attend the late shows in the showroom, and those shows are usually focused on an adult audience. The ealr shows are usually going on while late dining is eating.

So here is what I suggest: If traveling with teen-agers and ages below, and maybe a few older folks who prefer to eat early then do early dining. If just couples or singles, then of course you want to do the late dining.

Also, when i book my dining, I prefer to get the "earlier" late dining, that is usually in the dining room in the rear of the ship (it is ALL about the view).

Paul

Thank folks, I feel a whole lot better.

I am going to stick with late seating, and request a table close enough so when the food fight starts I am sitting close to Victory Bound :rolleyes:

( just kidding )

I too would prefer to sit at a large table with several other couples, I always figured having table mates and meeting people would be a part of the whole experience.

Got our docs today, woooo hoooo :D

Thank folks, I feel a whole lot better.

I am going to stick with late seating, and request a table close enough so when the food fight starts I am sitting close to Victory Bound :rolleyes:

( just kidding )

Oh that's really funny! Remember, I will have my two kids with us (9 & 13) so if the food fighting starts, that will probably want to join in. (ok, now I'm kidding)

My kids know that I expect them to behave while on a cruise and I didn't have any problems last time. Now with them being a little older, they know that I will expect more. And with 2 of my sisters and their husbands on the cruise also, they will have lots of adult family members looking out for them.

You know, I have seen a LOT of posters talking about wanting to get a table alone, I actually hope we are sitting with other couples.

I am kind of looking forward to that.:)

Looking forward to meeting you and your kids, I have 4 myself and have been through that mess.

Archived