What should I see when docked in Villefranche? (Nice)

We are docking in Villefranche. What places should we see? We are only there for 12 hours. Do we go to Monte Carlo, Monaco, Cannes, Nice or ??? I am looking to arrange a private tour, but wanted to hear your recommendations.

Also, for anyone who has done private tours in this area, which private tour company would you recommend?

Thanks!

Tam

We are docking in Villefranche. What places should we see? We are only there for 12 hours. Do we go to Monte Carlo, Monaco, Cannes, Nice or ??? I am looking to arrange a private tour, but wanted to hear your recommendations.

Also, for anyone who has done private tours in this area, which private tour company would you recommend?

Thanks!

Tam

Do a search on this board going back a page or two as there is LOT's of info re this port and private guides.You have to decide what YOU want to see as far as sightseeing,beaches,area as there is much to see and do.Google the areas and see what strikes your fancy.

Tam - here's a link to a thread which will give you some ideas and as mentioned above, there are quite a number of other threads re this port on the Europe Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=291339&highlight=villefranche

We went to Eze and Monte Carlo/Monaco, but used local transportation (buses and train).

Just returned from the 5/14/2006 sailing on the Jewel. Everyone who did the St. Paul de Vinence tour with the ship were very impressed. If your not interested in that tour then you might try doing Monte Carlo on your own. Just pay attention to the time. Our sailing time was set for 2:30 PM but because of the pick up in winds (35 mph) getting tenders back on the ship was a problem. I think we finally sailed out at 3:45PM. Tim and Cathy

HI-Was also on the Jewel May 14th sailing.We took a taxi from port into Nice for 5 euro pp-was about a 15 minute ride along the Riviera.There was a wonderful open-air market there selling pastries,fruit,cheeses,flowers etc. as well as souvenirs.There are also out door cafes lining the streets where you can sit and enjoy a latte and croissant as we did.We also went to St. Paul De Vence from there via taxi which was 50 euro total one way.We thoroughly enjoyed it there. It is a medieval village with beautiful views from the top and many little shops and restaurants.We did not go to Monaco because we were told it would be too crowded because of the Grand Prix.Right off the ship in Villefranche there is a nice little area of shops and cafes, as well.Beautiful port-you will love it!

I'm on the 7/30 sailing of the Jewel. Vivian92, I asked you this question on another thread. On the St. Paul de Vence tour, how long were you actually there? Were you able to go off on your own?

Patqrq: Did you also take a taxi back from St. Paul de Vence? If so, how much was it? Were there many taxis at the port of Villefranche? Were there many taxis in St. Paul de Vence?

I know I would like to go to St. Paul de Vence, but would prefer to do it on my own. I'm trying to figure out the best way.Thank you.

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie-It cost 60 euros back to the ship from St Paul.There were no taxi's lined up there but if you wait at the taxi drop off area you can easily hail one as they were constantly dropping people off.We were also advised that the cafe would call us one if needed.Unless you speak French,you will need to be able to tell the driver you want to go to the cruise ship terminal in Villefranche,as we had great difficulty doing so.There was a lot more traffic going back to ship that afternoon so allow for enough time.In Villefranche-there were no taxi's lined up-we walked a short distance to taxi stand where there were 2 taxi's waiting.You may even ask the driver if he can return for you when you are ready to head back to ship.

Villefranche to St Paul de Vence by Bus:

Walk from the ship uphill to the top of town to Octroi (10 minutes)

Get the 100 bus - every 20 minutes to Nice Gare Routiers (Bus station) - takes 20 minutes costs a couple of euros or so.

Walk a few steps to the 400/410 bus stop - every 30 minutes or so - pay 1.30 euros - arrive 1 hour later.

Reverse above to return to ship.

Eat at Colombe D'or.

http://www.la-colombe-dor.com/

(was there last Friday - fish was excellent)

Jeff

Archived