Live from the Pride of Hawaii!

kat28

Dolcidog, Thanks for your response. I think I have packed and repacked many times. The time is crawling till we leave. I have my excurisions made 4 of them. Jude and I are renewing our vows on the beach on the 20th, with a very simple ceremony. Will you be on POH on the 19th? Counting the days until my once in a lifetime trip is here.

If you want to see a cool video of the lava flow the recent passengers on the Pride of Hawaii just saw, go to the below website and click on the link in the middle of the page titled "Lava Flow from The Pride of Hawaii". It will probably only be there a short time since it's a news website and the news changes daily. So check it out while it's still there if you're interested.

http://www.khnl.com/

THAT WAS COOL! Thank you for the link. I cannot wait to see it in person.

Thanks thecruisers723, the lava video was pretty cool.

I am still confused about the side of the ship that we may really want to be on-2 different answers have been given.

Any others want to pipe in on their experience?

Thanks,

Tacy

Because of limitations on numbers of objects that can be copied into these messages, I'll post two in a row. Here's the first:

Here is the published itinerary for the POH:

hi_ncla_it_popup_top.gifspacer.gif

hiPAM05_7d2_hon_hon.gif

7-Day Round Trip Honolulu

Honolulu to Honolulu - Pride of Hawaii

2007: Jan 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; Feb 5, 12, 19, 26; Mar 5, 12, 19, 26; Apr 2, 9, 16, 23; May 7, 14, 21, 28; Jun 4, 11, 18, 25; Jul 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; Aug 6, 13, 20, 27; Sep 3, 10, 17, 24; Oct 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; Nov 5, 12, 19, 26; Dec 3, 10, 17, 24, 31

2008: Jan 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb 4, 11, 18, 25; Mar 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; Apr 7, 14, 21

DayPortArriveDepart

8:00pm

Tue.

Hilo, Hawaii

8:00am

7:00pm

(Evening sail by Mount Kilauea)

Wed.

Kahului, Maui

Overnight

(Optional Tours to Lana'i Available)

Thu.

Kahului, Maui

--

6:00pm

Fri.

Kona, Hawaii

7:00am

Sat.

Nawiliwili, Kauai

Overnight

Sun.

Nawiliwili, Kauai

--

2:00pm

(Scenic cruising)

Mon.

Honolulu, O'ahu

7:00am*

--

* Debarkation usually begins two hours after docking.

Mon.

Honolulu, O'ahu

--

eu_it_popup_rgt.gif

eu_it_popup_rgt.gif

And here is the second:

This is the itinerary for the POAM:

hi_ncla_it_popup_top.gifspacer.gif

dest_hawaii_3.jpg

: Jan 6, 13, 20, 27; Feb 3, 10, 17, 24; Mar 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; Apr 7, 14, 21, 28; May 5, 12, 19, 26; Jun 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; Jul 7, 14, 21, 28; Aug 4, 11, 18, 25; Sep 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; Oct 6, 13, 20, 27; Nov 3, 10, 17, 24; Dec 1, 8, 15, 22, 29

: Jan 5, 12, 19, 26; Feb 2, 9, 16, 23; Mar 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; Apr 5, 12, 19

DayPortArriveDepart

Sat.

Honolulu, Oahu

--

8:00pm

Sun.

Hilo, Hawaii

7:00pm

(Evening sail by Mount Kilauea)

Mon.

Kahului, Maui

Overnight

(Optional tours to Lanai available)

Tue.

Kahului, Maui

--

Wed.

Kona, Hawaii

Thu.

Nawiliwili, Kauai

Overnight

Fri.

Nawiliwili, Kauai

--

2:00pm

(Scenic Cruising)

Sat.

Honolulu, Oahu

7:00am*

- -

* Disembarkation usually begins two hours after docking.

For more information contact your local

travel professional or contact NCL at

1-888-327-7030

As you can see, the itineraries are identical except for the days of the week. When we took this cruise on the POAm last fall, we had to forego the cruise by the volcano entirely; there were stated speed problems, though we suspected fuel-cost problems instead. Had we done the volcano cruise, it would have first cruised with the lava flow on the starboard, then turned around for the view on the port. At Kauai, the ship leaves Nawiliwili harbor (Lihue) and sails counter-clockwise around Kauai on its way to Honolulu. View on the port side. I know it doesn't show this on the map, but that's what it means by leaving harbor at 2:00 pm for "scenic cruising." I'd pick the port side again.

7-Day Round Trip Honolulu

Honolulu to Honolulu - Pride of America

I was on the inaugural cruise and started this thread a few weeks ago. We were on the starboard side of the ship and saw the lava flow first. Then the ship turned around and the port side got the same view. Same thing for the Napali coast. The captain did a turnaround and both sides got to see the gorgeous view! There is no captain's dinner. Remember, this is 'freestyle cruising' and there is no set time or place to eat. You make your own schedule and choose your own restaurant. Hint...make reservations ASAP as the best restaurants fill up fast! My number one fave...Cagney's ($). Second fave Papa's (free). Third fave Jasmine's ($). Fourth Paniolo's (free). Do NOT go to Tempanyaki. ICK!:eek:

Thanks everyone-looks like it won't much matter what side we are on as long as we are on the ship!

I am getting excited and we have not even booked it yet!

Tacy

I was on the inaugural cruise and started this thread a few weeks ago. We were on the starboard side of the ship and saw the lava flow first. Then the ship turned around and the port side got the same view. Same thing for the Napali coast. The captain did a turnaround and both sides got to see the gorgeous view! There is no captain's dinner. Remember, this is 'freestyle cruising' and there is no set time or place to eat. You make your own schedule and choose your own restaurant. Hint...make reservations ASAP as the best restaurants fill up fast! My number one fave...Cagney's ($). Second fave Papa's (free). Third fave Jasmine's ($). Fourth Paniolo's (free). Do NOT go to Tempanyaki. ICK!:eek:

Hi kat28,

I see you're from Clearwater...my wife and I are leaving from Tampa on Sunday to go on the 6/12/06 POH sailing. Thanks for all of your posts, lot's of good information.

Dave

Kat - please explain why you didn't like the Teppanyaki - I am hoping to dine there on my son's birthday and want it to be special - we have been to a couple restaurants like that on land and have always enjoyed them.

Hi Kabookie. I had such a fabulous experience on the POH I almost hate to complain. But the Tepanyaki was so bad I can't NOT complain. The service was very good...but we were the ONLY 4 people in the whole place! That should tell you something right there. The restaurant has big windows facing the hall so we could see into the place every night and it was NEVER full! They served us a miniscule seaweed salad (yuck!), miso soup (yuck), one slice each of carrot, zucchini, and squash, a small bowl of fried rice (the best thing), and a small steak. When my daughter asked for more steak since she didn't eat any of the other food, the chef said 'no, I am cleaning the grill now and I don't want to get it dirty again'. The chef did no tricks except for tossing a shrimp tail in his pocket. The 2 dips for the steak and veggies is really icky. I am comparing this to Arigato's and Edo, 2 restaurants here where I live. They are wonderful and my daughter really loves them. Tepanyaki is nothing like those restaurants. I would save your $20 per person and go to Papa's Italian which is free. It is so yummy and we all loved it! We ate there 4 times on the inaugural cruise. We also loved Paniolo's and especially Cagney's. You will absolutely LOVE the ship and crew! Have a terrific time!

Hello all! We just got back on the ship after docking in San Francisco. Picked up a few hundred additional passengers. Still way under capacity. To answer questions...no self service laundry...however they will do your laundry for you for quite a large cost!

Actually there is a self service laundry on board. In fact I think there is one on each of about 5 decks. We used the one on Deck 11.

So, there is free laundry area- is this absolutely true, as it will change how much I pack...

Also, can you make ressies for more than one night at the specialty restaurants on the first day. Can I make ressies to eat twice at the Italian restaurant on the first day?

Lastly, is the Italian restaurant casual.. what is appropriapriate attire for dinner there?

So, there is free laundry area- is this absolutely true, as it will change how much I pack...

Yes, I found out after I posted that there IS a free laundry on 3 decks. $1 for a box of Tide but I brought my own just in case.

Also, can you make ressies for more than one night at the specialty restaurants on the first day. Can I make ressies to eat twice at the Italian restaurant on the first day?

Yes, you can make ressies for all 7 nights when you board. Yes, you can eat as many times as you want at one particular restaurant. We ate at Papa's 4 times! YUMMY!

Lastly, is the Italian restaurant casual.. what is appropriapriate attire for dinner there?

ALL the restaurants are casual...but no shorts in any of the restaurants. Capris, slacks, sundresses, etc. are fine. Shorts are OK in Aloha Nui cafe.

Yes, there are several guest "Landerettes". I posted info on this thread earlier on how to use the machines and the 4 quarters needed to buy soap if you don't bring your own.

-Maeve

quote]

Most of the specialty restaurants are only open for dinner, and I don't believe you'd be able to reserve the same party for 2 times on one night (although I'm also having a hard time imagining why you would want to.) You can reserve multiple nights at the same restaurant. (ex., Tuesday and Wednesday, or whatever)

(Now, as Kat pointed out, Cagney's was open on the inagural cruise for Suite guests, but I don't think that they took reservations for breakfast and lunch for that limited subset. Have to say I'm not sure about that, though.)

-Maeve

I see now how my post sounded. I do not want to eat twice in the same night. I was asking if on day of embarkation, I can make dinner ressies for 2 different evenings at the same restaurant.

On the Disney cruise, they limited you to one night at the adult only restaurant so others would also be able to book it. I love Italian and would like to eat there 2 different nights and would like to make my ressies on the first day of the cruise of the entire week.

I knew I read about the launderettes. I was very excited. I just had to double check that I had read it.

Thanks for all the info.

Maeve619

Quick question. My cousin wants to know if she can get dressed up in the evening? Are there any special nights for "formal" pictures. Would she feel out of place dressed or her husband with a suit and tie?

Thanks

Maeve619

Quick question. My cousin wants to know if she can get dressed up in the evening? Are there any special nights for "formal" pictures. Would she feel out of place dressed or her husband with a suit and tie?

Thanks

The photographers take pictures every evening, so you can have your pictures taken as often as you'd like. Different themes each evening for the photos. One night was 'ship night' with our ship in the background. One night was 'patriotic night' with the flag in the background. There is one 'formal optional' evening and lots of folks were in tuxs and formal gowns. Also lots of folks were very casual.

Thanks Kat28. Very helpful. My cousins will be happy they can dress up. I am more the casual type. But hubby and I will go along with whatever they want to do. What would a cruise be without those formal pictures!

Thanks again.

EVA

A word of warning about the photographers on the POH...I have never been on a cruise ship where the photographers were so awesome and the pictures they took were so incredible! I would say that at least 90% of the many many pics they took of my family and I were buy-able. It was the hardest decision of the cruise to pick only a few out! As it was we spent well over $200 on the pics!! They were very professional and very very sweet! For being so young, they really knew their stuff!:D

My cousin wants to know if she can get dressed up in the evening? Are there any special nights for "formal" pictures. Would she feel out of place dressed or her husband with a suit and tie?

Thanks

Our cruise (which was different from the 7 day itinerary) did have one optional "formal night", and took pics that night, and I believe that that is true of each of the sailings. However, even *not* on formal night, people wore all sorts of different things. I wouldn't have taken a second glance at anyone in a coat and tie on any night. Lots of women wore beautiful dresses every evening. Others wore slacks, skirts and even capris.

The only rules I remember were no jeans, flip flops or Tshirts.

-Maeve

Archived