Live from the Pride of Hawaii!

kat28

go to the other cruise website, someone has a fantastic link of over 250 pictures including all cabins, etc. Gorgeous!!!![/quote

Hey, breezey, which website is that? I looked at all of zimmerjulie's stuff and all the threads from CC. I am so tired from reading everything, but it is so very informative. thanks again

Hope this works, the pictures are FANTASTIC!!!!

Take the cruise and have fun...the young American staff are working hard to make sure you are having a good time. I saw a lot of the same employees smiling in the morning and then be just as nice and friendly at night. I know I couldn't do it.

For what it's worth, the restaurant manager and head chef came by our table on the second formal night and asked us how we were enjoying our cruise so far and what we thought about the food and service. They really seemed sincere when asking passengers for their opinions.

I was glad to see that the staff was able to get off the ship and relax at the ports, it made sharing land adventures much more interesting...working 7 days a week on the same ship get's pretty boring no matter how new it is.

Focus on the land trips and read up on what to see and do, then return to the ship and enjoy a great dining experience and show. I would definitely take another POH cruise.

Thanks for the positive perspective. I guess we will stick with it and hope for the best. I really don't want to go through the hassles of cancelling and re-booking on another line.

Thanks again!

Thanks for info. I missed it earlier in the thread. Is Cagney's really worth the $15?

Again, thanks!

Not really, but we wanted to try it. Their steaks are very good, but you can get great meals in the free restaurants.

Thanks for info. I missed it earlier in the thread. Is Cagney's really worth the $15?

Again, thanks!

Well here in Texas we have the best steaks IMO :p :D . But I thought that Cagneys was great; and I am very picky about steak. I didn't get one, but my husband did and his was good. He asked them to butterfly his to cook it faster and wanted it medium well; no problem there. I don't remember what I ordered but I remember that it was very good. We went late at night; about 9pm; it was pretty empty in there and it took a long time still. The service was very very slow. We waited for a long time for our food then for our dessert. By the time we got our dessert there were only a few people left in the whole restaurant. I wasn't at all impressed with timeliness of service there. overall the food was good; but not impressive. I just say that b/c we have a lot of good steak places here in Texas; so more than half of them seem lackluster to me. But to others it would probably be amazing.

Thanks, NCLcruisefan, for your opinion of Cagney's.

We are from Kansas City and are also used to great steaks, so I guess we will have to try Cagney's to see how it compares. I'm sure it will be fine. As long as I'm not cooking, I really can't complain!:)

Sorry, Texas-lovers, but if you start out with a good cut of steak to begin with (which is available all over the USA), the real value of a steak--taste, texture, the "bite", is in the hands of the cook. I've had many steaks all over Texas and they are generally very good indeed; but the best have come out of kitchens and off of grills in other states. At least IMO. I know--I know--"them's fightin' words"--but I cain't he'p it if it's true!! LOL

So it is going to depend on the experience and talents of the chef anyway, which are not cruise-line-dependent factors.

YES!! We are very worried. We are cruising on 1/1 and are considering cancelling and re-booking with another line. This will be our first cruise with NCL. Can you imagine what the employees will be like on New Year's Day? If the service is as bad as everyone says, coupled with hangovers, I am really concerned!

What can you do? You would think the upper management at NCLA is aware of the issues and is trying to correct them. I hope they read the boards and reviews. I'm assuming they cannot hire international employees because the ships are registered in the U.S.. Is that correct?

We are crossing our fingers and hope the reviews get better.

Mary in KC

Hi mfinn, I am booking for 01/01/07 POH. I have not cruised in a very long time and are celebrating my daughter's 16th BD too. I hope that by then the kinks will be worked out. Nothing is every perfect the first time around and although some of the reviews are concerning, most of the other are positive. Keep in touch.

Shiraz, when does the POH sail past the Na Pali coastline? I switched from port to starboard and now I know NCL will think I'm nuts, but I'm thinking of trying to get back on the port side. When docked, was Port side better? Thanks!

Napaili is about 2.5 hours after leaving Kaua'i (We just got back from the cruise today)

CAUTION: There's good and bad to being Port-side. Except for Kona, Honolulu and Lihu'e (Kaua'i), the dock is on that side, and if you have a balcony and sleep with the slider open, it is noisy enough to wake the dead. Kona is a non-event because the ship anchors offshore. So it is a trade-off.

Comments on cruise forthcoming...

hi, i was just wondering if someone could clarify the internet usage policy. i know this question has already been asked, but I just wanted a more detailed explanation (if anyone is able to provide one). i have to use the internet on one specific day during the cruise and was wondering what i should do. i know there is a charge of .75/min which i think is a little expensive and i understand there are some plans (i think, 100 or 250 min), but i only need to use it for around an hour or so. i don't know if bringing a laptop would be a better choice..i think on NCL's website, it says that a wireless card could be rented for $10 a day, which i guess is a better way to go, but is that all i need to go on the internet? are there any other options out there? thanks so much for answering. i really appreciate it!

also, i read that t-shirts are not allowed in the restaurants. how formal are you expected to dress? can someone describe an example outfit? i don't really enjoy wearing dresses, so can anyone advise me on what to wear? thanks! :P

i read that t-shirts are not allowed in the restaurants. how formal are you expected to dress? can someone describe an example outfit? i don't really enjoy wearing dresses, so can anyone advise me on what to wear? thanks! :P

I wore stretch sateen type capris (not denim) and a sleeveless pullover top (technical name: shell) sometimes. I would take a light jacket in case I got cold but I never wore it. My daughters have introduced me to gauchos (I know, not everyone reading this knows what they are -- a flowing, split skirt, usually knee length or longer), which would also be an easy, comfy choice. You said you don't enjoy dresses -- what about a skirt -- same deal? Otherwise, those wrinkle-free outfits are so handy (Chico's calls them "Travelers") and I've seen the same type of separates for less $$ at Mervyn's and Penney's.

Sorry we were computer-free so I'm no help there. We got some sort of e-mail address issued by the cruise line but it looked like we were expected to pay to use it even if we accessed via the wireless remote keyboard that went to the tv set in the room.

I'm pretty sure the $10 wireless card is just to access their network, which you would still need to buy time on. Newer laptops often have wireless built in so you wouldn't need the $10 card. What about trying to use the internet in port? I'm sure there's internet cafes or places you could hook up your laptop that are much cheaper than the ship's rates.

thanks so much for the advice!! oh and tikimeekie, i noticed that you will be going on the july 31st cruise! i will also be on that ship!

Aznstarangel - come join us on the 7/31 roll call - we've got about 7 CC'ers signed up so far. :)

• 11 months later...

I was on the POH in January and had a Mini-suite (AF). It was plenty big for 2 adults and 2 kids (16 and 12). You really don't spend much time in your room anyway and the balcony helps, because the first one ready for dinner stood in line at the specialty restaurants, the next one relaxed on the balcony and the last two had room to get ready and put things away....

Archived