enough talk about food, but nobody's touched dessert

dollymomma

may i start out by saying that in no way am i complaining... what i didn't eat in dessert on our cruise (star - mexican riviera - april) saved my waist... however, i was certainly disappointed in most of the desserts offered... particularly at the buffets... it seemed that most of the desserts were fluffy whipped up type desserts that had no taste... i was very disappointed with the chocoholic buffet too... not ONE good chocolate cheesecake... and everything that looked like it would be cheesecake was just another fluffy "mix" type cake... am i the only one that noticed that??? i must admit that i did have one thing at the chocoholic buffet that really tasted like good chocolate, a "one bite brownie" sized chocolate truffle... it was fabulous, and really saved the whole experience from being a total waste...

on a positive note, i did find a few desserts that were really good... and strangely enough, they were at the buffet... they had a really good rice pudding, a really good peach crumble, and a bread pudding that was really good too... funny, nothing from the specialty restaurants really stood out... at least not that i can remember;)

I've had the chocolate fondue in Le Bistro several times and I've loved it every time.

I also have enjoyed the Chocoholic Buffet several times and have always found a number of items very much to my liking.

Unfortunately for my waistline, I have always found too many desserts on NCL that were to my liking. I can't remember the names of all of them now, but a chocolate tort with whiskey caramel sauce was one. A coffee toffee dessert was another. Bananas Foster and many more. Something we always enjoy are the varieties of ice cream in the main dining rooms. Served in a Sundae glass with a wafer.

The chocoholics buffet is bursting with things that find their way onto my plate, humming over my tastebuds, and straight to the thighs, butt and elsewhere!

In 27 days we'll be on the Star again, so I'll be happy to report back what we find then.

Hikini:D

... am i the only one that noticed that???

Probably not. Perhaps the only one to whom it apparently mattered so much, though.

Though I've only recently started re-integrating dairy into my diet, and therefore haven't eaten ANY desserts on my last 3 cruises, I've heard time & again from my travel companion(s) that the crepes flambee at Le Bistro, and also the chocolate fondue were both excellent.

yes, i did have the chocolate fondue in le bistro too, and i found that the chocolate wasn't as good as i had hoped... but then, i am guess i am used to really good belgian chocolate, as we always have a slab of callebaut in the house... bad bad bad... as i said, it was good for my waistline, and of couse, i never had a problem finding a cookie or piece of pound cake around;)... now, those were good!

I try to avoid eating desserts for 51 weeks out of the year but make up for it during that 1 week cruise!

Th chocolate fondue at LeBistro is always delicious. They also have a fantastic chocolate cake. There are fresh baked cookies in the Star atrium- they were FREE 2 years ago-something they didn't advertise.

I love the Bananas Foster- we also had cherries jubilee on the PoAm.

I only went to one chocolate buffet, on the Sun- it was ok, not overly exciting- but I was sickened watching people LOAD their plates like they would never eat again. Lots of pushing and shoving and rude behavior. It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

now I'm hungry...

yes, i did have the chocolate fondue in le bistro too, and i found that the chocolate wasn't as good as i had hoped... but then, i am guess i am used to really good belgian chocolate, as we always have a slab of callebaut in the house...

How sad it must be to have to cruise without Callebaut. Perhaps you might write to Colin Veitch and suggest NCL open a branch of Wittamer on all their ships to ensure your future cruising pleasure.

There was probably no pate de foie gras, either. How dreadful it must have been for you. Oh, while you're asking, why not request a pound of sevruga for your cabin.

There was probably no pate de foie gras, either. How dreadful it must have been for you. Oh, while you're asking, why not request a pound of sevruga for your cabin.

No, there's no pate....but you can have pan-seared Foie Gras on the Rossini-style Filet Mignon at Le Bistro! :)

I believe you can complement this with a bottle of Cristal, for a small additional fee :D

I agree with you dolly. Most of the desserts looked wonderful, but had no taste (good for my waistline too!) Exceptions were the choc. fondue and some yummy iced brownies we found by accident on the kids room service menu. ;)

The wife & I always have the chocolate covered strawberries at the Choc. Buffet. I wish they'd offer that as a desert on some nights. Also, we enjoy the chocolate fondue in the Bistro but would also like to see some strawberries on that as well as the pineapple.

jmo

-Monte

No, there's no pate....but you can have pan-seared Foie Gras on the Rossini-style Filet Mignon at Le Bistro! :)

Yes, sjbdtz! We've enjoyed that on our last two cruises. Also in the beef Wellington on one of the old "special" menus (Chef's Gala?).

Must be really painful to cruise a mass-market cruise line when your nose turns up at anything but the finest Belgian chocolate. Champagne taste, beer budget, I suppose. ;-)

Here are two pictures:

Bananas Foster in SoHo: EXCELLENT

Chocoholic Buffet: Something other than cake

We thought the desserts to be the best ever. And in fact, I was prepared from reviews that there would be a lot of gelatin type desserts and we found that to be quite the opposite.

Some of our favorites are the Chocolate Fondue, Bananas Foster, the deep fried cake in SoHo (can't remember the name), the souffle in Versailles, the cheese cake in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Can't wait for July on the Jewel.

BananasFoster.jpg.3484df46382962afd3b71607a7689a84.jpg

ChocoholicBuffet.jpg.9fe96b72f57b60f9801966867f63e16b.jpg

Yes, sjbdtz! We've enjoyed that on our last two cruises. Also in the beef Wellington on one of the old "special" menus (Chef's Gala?).

Must be really painful to cruise a mass-market cruise line when your nose turns up at anything but the finest Belgian chocolate. Champagne taste, beer budget, I suppose. ;-)

what is with you two and obnoctious insults to posters - you should be banned

Here are two pictures:

Bananas Foster in SoHo: EXCELLENT

Chocoholic Buffet: Something other than cake

We thought the desserts to be the best ever. And in fact, I was prepared from reviews that there would be a lot of gelatin type desserts and we found that to be quite the opposite.

Some of our favorites are the Chocolate Fondue, Bananas Foster, the deep fried cake in SoHo (can't remember the name), the souffle in Versailles, the cheese cake in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Can't wait for July on the Jewel.

I agree with you CruisingfromMN. I had the deep fried cake in SoHo, too, and it was wonderful. It was called "Tempura Chocolate Cake with Caramel Fudge Sauce." It was recommended by our server.

Sue

I agree with you CruisingfromMN. I had the deep fried cake in SoHo, too, and it was wonderful. It was called "Tempura Chocolate Cake with Caramel Fudge Sauce." It was recommended by our server.

Sue

Yup Sue, that was it. Very, very rich but oh so good!

Just got off the Jewel and both my DH and I both said the same thing at the end of the week--we didn't have one dessert we considered really excellent. Supposed to have bananas foster at le bistro but both times we ate there no. I take that back, I did like the creme brulee at le bistro but that's about it. Nothing else was worth the calories. I'm glad I didn't like the desserts because then I would need to lose more weight. To be honest, the only cruise line that comes to mind as outstanding for desserts is Princess--they do souffles in various flavors accompanied by sauces like vanilla sauce. They are to die for. I love sweets and I'm glad there weren't more temptations, really.

I agree with the general consensus that the desserts weren't that great. (we were on the Dawn). There were a couple of souffles that were delicious and I too loved the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro. The cheesecake at Cagneys was tasty. And, although its not "exciting", the pound cake and banana cake that is always out at the Blue Lagoon is very moist and good.

but oh those buffet deserts and dining room deserts - awful. Not sweet at all.

Thats something I enjoy about them. Sort of reminds me of when I was in Europe (US Army mid '70s). Often had deserts there (in cities not on base) that didn't have as much "sweetness" as US deserts.

jmo

-Monte

Dear Hot Spur - you really chose a fantastic nickname!

I thought I would let go on your first comment on this thread, but this second one just blew it! :mad: Most people read and write here in a relaxed and respectful way, I wish your tone would not be this condescending.

Everywhere you read about The "famous" Bistro fondue, people rave about it and that creates expectations, and then some guests who are true fondue passionate get a little disappointed that is all.

My husband and I enjoyed most meals or found interesting things on the menu each day, but just like the OP, we thought the desserts were not at par with the rest of the food we enjoyed on that cruise.

Dear Hot Spur - you really chose a fantastic nickname!

I thought I would let go on your first comment on this thread, but this second one just blew it! :mad: Most people read and write here in a relaxed and respectful way, I wish your tone would not be this condescending.

Look, the self-serving comment made by dollymomma about Callebaut was "condescending," if you are worried about "condescending." I wasn't overwhelmed by the chocolate fondue either, but I wouldn't feel a need to tell the CC world I'm a chocolate snob--even if I were.

Aim your nastygrams at the correct target.

I had the chocolate fondue the first time dining in Le Bistro and found it OK, but this time had the Creme Brullee - to die for.

In the main dining rooms we enjoyed the Creme Caramel, Chocolate Velvet Cake, and absolutely love souffles and were not disappointed with the Vienna Vanilla Souffle w Strawberry sauce, and the Chocolate Souffle.

We found many desserts in the buffet tasteless and my husband kept asking if we took the sugar-free by mistake. We stopped trying after a few times, and had the cookies or pound cake to satisfy the sweet-tooth a few times, but otherwise waited for dinner to have dessert.

We enjoyed the chocolate buffet and were lucky with our selections. We were glad they moved it to 11:15 pm on this cruise (Dawn 5/20) as opposed to mid afternoon on the last 2 Dawn cruises.

Archived