enough talk about food, but nobody's touched dessert

dollymomma

We enjoyed the chocolate buffet and were lucky with our selections. We were glad they moved it to 11:15 pm on this cruise (Dawn 5/20) as opposed to mid afternoon on the last 2 Dawn cruises.

I prefer the mid afternoon chocolate buffets. We had a midnight buffet on the Star and I just don't like having that much sugar coursing thru my body when it's time to go to bed!:eek: I liked the afternoon, at sea days where we had the chocoholics buffets on the Sky and Spirit.

But, if the choice is midnight or not at all.....bring on the chocolate fest at midnight!:D

We enjoyed the chocolate buffet and were lucky with our selections. We were glad they moved it to 11:15 pm on this cruise (Dawn 5/20) as opposed to mid afternoon on the last 2 Dawn cruises.

Did they move it hoping that us "old folks" wouldn't be able to stay awake that long? Shorter lines for you young 'uns. ;)

-Monte

I also found that the desserts looked pretty but were tasteless, it's like they go for appearances & quantity, but the quality/flavour is just not there.

I did find some little tasty fruit tarts once night, but for the most part had the cheese/fruit plate for dessert. Their cheeses were excellent.

I wish they would go with higher quality desserts, like decadent cakes, tortes etc.. and skip all the edible oil whipped concoctions.

Look, the self-serving comment made by dollymomma about Callebaut was "condescending," if you are worried about "condescending." I wasn't overwhelmed by the chocolate fondue either, but I wouldn't feel a need to tell the CC world I'm a chocolate snob--even if I were.

Aim your nastygrams at the correct target.

Oh, don't worry, Hotspur--she has superb aim. I read nothing at all condescending in Dollymama's post; she was giving a point of reference, much as for example if you were comparing the chocolate offerings to Ding Dongs, which you may have been.

The board monitors must be gone for the weekend, to let your comments remain on the board.

Did they move it hoping that us "old folks" wouldn't be able to stay awake that long? Shorter lines for you young 'uns. ;)

-Monte

Very funny, Monte ... OK, I give, what's your minimum age for an 'old folk' ? I'm 48 and DH is 54, and we're early risers, so many nights we were not up past 11:00 PM ... Luckily we took a nap that day ... ;)

Last year, only the women in our group went to the Chocolate buffet mid afternoon (3 of us ... chocolate is definitely an important 'girl thing') while the guys opted to stay out on deck.

I agree with Casshew that the cheeses are excellent. I seldom eat sweets as they would wreak havoc with my blood sugar levels, so I usually have the cheese plate for dessert in restaurants both on land and onboard ship. I was very pleasantly surprised by the cheese menu offered by NCL. It was an actual cheese platter from which I could select from a variety of cheeses, and the waiter would slice them, plate them, and add the fruit garnish. On other lines -- some that many would consider more upscale -- the selection was up to the chef. IMO, that's like ordering "pie" and being surprised by the flavor that's presented. :)

I hope this is still the case, as I hear so much has changed since our last NCL cruise last year.

I agree with Casshew that the cheeses are excellent. I seldom eat sweets as they would wreak havoc with my blood sugar levels, so I usually have the cheese plate for dessert in restaurants both on land and onboard ship. I was very pleasantly surprised by the cheese menu offered by NCL. It was an actual cheese platter from which I could select from a variety of cheeses, and the waiter would slice them, plate them, and add the fruit garnish. On other lines -- some that many would consider more upscale -- the selection was up to the chef. IMO, that's like ordering "pie" and being surprised by the flavor that's presented. :)

Yes, I was very pleased that I could choose from a large tray of cheeses and that it wasn't pre-sliced and wrapped in saran by someone hours before. I was very disappointed with the cheese offerings on those "other" lines.

Oh, don't worry, Hotspur--she has superb aim. I read nothing at all condescending in Dollymama's post; she was giving a point of reference, much as for example if you were comparing the chocolate offerings to Ding Dongs, which you may have been.

Rudeness prize goes to you, GoHuskies. Wear it proudly.

The chocolate souffle with warm bailey's sauce is one of the best desserts I have ever had!

Was that in the main restaurants or Le Bistro? The Bailey's sauce is what caught my interest--best wedding cake I ever tasted was at my daughter's, where the frosting was infused with a Bailey's concoction that I've not been able to duplicate. It reminded you of a Boston cream pie, with Bailey's. (Now if the ship just had a Baileyholic dessert buffet....)

... OK, I give, what's your minimum age for an 'old folk' ? I'm 48 and DH is 54, and we're early risers, so many nights we were not up past 11:00 PM ... Luckily we took a nap that day ... ;)

Now, you don't think I'd back into this one do you? LOL

Let's just say it's not an age, it's a state of mind.

HOWEVER, on a cruise & not up past 11??? I guess, we're both geezers ;)

See ya on deck at sunrise!

-Monte

I try to avoid eating desserts for 51 weeks out of the year but make up for it during that 1 week cruise!

Th chocolate fondue at LeBistro is always delicious. They also have a fantastic chocolate cake. There are fresh baked cookies in the Star atrium- they were FREE 2 years ago-something they didn't advertise.

I love the Bananas Foster- we also had cherries jubilee on the PoAm.

I only went to one chocolate buffet, on the Sun- it was ok, not overly exciting- but I was sickened watching people LOAD their plates like they would never eat again. Lots of pushing and shoving and rude behavior. It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

now I'm hungry...

There was a Chocolate buffet on the PofA one afternoon at 2:30 p.m. when most cruisers were off the ship. Personally, I did not find one dessert worth the calories. The bread pudding was really weird (bad). I ate jello.

Carol Ann

Archived