mediterranean cruise with kids?

massachusetts_mama

It's not only Greece that's hot in August. The entire Med region is incredibly hot and very humid in August. I've been in the area a few times and not only is it hot, it's also very crowded as that's the month when all the Europeans take their vacation. If you can, try for June, as it's not as hot as August.

I did the eastern Med on Galaxy for the 8/15/05 sailing with a 14 and 18 year old, and yes it was hot but not intolerable. It was rather nice as we did shore trips in the mornings and went to the beaches in the afternoon, then hit the pool on this ship. The only place where the heat was an issue was Delos where there is little or no shade (I stood in the shadow of each column that was still standing). You can have a great time and your kids should love it. Humidity was never a problem.

'Miner

It will be hot, but you'll have the advantage of returning to the ship, where the a/c will be cranking. In Europe, most of the time a/c is not what we know it to be. So, you're always hot (or at least I am!)

Always have lots of water on hand. I swear by the powdered version of pedialyte. It's great to carry with you, and would be invaluable in the event of heatstroke. Just add water and instant electrolyte replacement! I used to have to special order it from our local (non-chain) pharmacy, but in preparing for our most recent cruise, I found it in the national chain pharmacies (it's made by Gerber, I think).

Go, enjoy! Happy cruising!

• 5 weeks later...

We're sailing on the Galaxy Oct 30/06 in the Eastern Med with 3 kids ages 11, 13, 18. We're sharing one room to help with the costs of such a fabulous experience. This cruise is so port intensive, that our room is not where we will spend most of our time. Going late in the fall means it is not stifling hot, but could be rainy.....it's all part of the adventure!

We went last May with our 11 & 12 year olds. They are much more resiliant than we are! I don't think they have thermostats at that age! We did do private drivers which was a real plus. Our 11 yr. old had enough by the time we got to Turkey, so she slept in the air conditioned van while we walked Ephesus (there was an adult from our party that was also tired of walking that stayed with her). Private drivers make all the difference. The kids got alot from the trip (they actually care what's going on in the world now). We figured they got about 2 years of history lessons while on on this trip!

Archived