Personal Vacation Planners

Do you prefer a Personal Vacation Planner or a reservation office to call with CCL?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a Personal Vacation Planner or a reservation office to call with CCL?

• I like CCL's Personal Vacation Planner
    • No I would like to call a reservation office and speak to diff people

I'm not a TA, but I can answer that for you.

My PVP and I have discussed lots of things about Carnival over the past few years, and she said they work on incentives for promotions - no commission. The PVP I used before her was in her position as PVP for several years, then promoted to corporate office.

Royal Caribbean offers a weekly incentive/commission based on performance. This is what is posted on their jobs website. So I wonder why CCL doesn't pay commission, sounds odd to me.

I'm not a TA, but I can answer that for you.

My PVP and I have discussed lots of things about Carnival over the past few years, and she said they work on incentives for promotions - no commission. The PVP I used before her was in her position as PVP for several years, then promoted to corporate office.

Ok, let me clear this up a little. A PVP's salary is not commission-based. Meaning, they do not work on a percentage. They get paid based on the number of bookings, and every booking counts. So just like a TA, if a PVP does a lot of work for you and exchanged calls and emails and basically "sells" you, but then you book with a TA or another agent, yes that PVP will be grumpy, and for good reason. But most you will find will still give you service and help even if you make them do all the work for no reward. So one important note, since their incentive scale is not percentage based, it doesn't matter to them whether you book for $50 or $5000, as long as you book. There is no extra bonus or perk for "upselling."

So yes, a PVP wants (needs) your booking, because that's how they pay the rent. The base salary alone is not enough to live on.

TAs and PVPs don't exactly like eachother, and it's understandable. but that's another topic altogether.

This is my 1st time using a Carnival PVP insdtead of a TA. This will be our 6th cruise with Carnival. I just booked on Tuesday for Aug 18th 2006. I called Carnival on Monday to just get some Military rates & on Tues I had a call from a PVP. He gave me such a great deal, I hung up with him called DH & called the PVP back & booked. Since then we have already had $60 taken off of the org. price & upgraded from a 4A (which we paid for ) to a 4D. Maybe we will get more upgrade. He has been fantastic so far.

Has anyone every been assigned a cabin & it change to a better cabin?

Cheri:)

The only problem I have is the PVPs leave so quickly. Had one I was dealing with on our last cruise and before we got our final payment in she left. Who got the insentive for my cruise??

likely no one.

After reading it appears a PVP is a travel agent but someone who works for the cruise line. I wonder if they are commission based like travel agents? What do travel agents think? Do you think they get paid like travel agents. Interesting.

They are call center employees. Carnival & Royal both have large call centers that employee hundreds of employees to take your calls. "Personal Vacation Planner" was just created to battle the negative stigma of calling a large call center. Royal is building or has built, I forget, a call center in Oregon that will employee over 800 res agents eventually. It just sounds better.

As for the upgrades and incentives you might be provided. Those are all based on current sales the cruise line is running. Typically you are entitled to any promotion up until your final payment, and in most cases even after if you are cheap enough to keep complaining. Any decent TA can get you the same deals, you just have to ask.

FYI... Not all TA's work on commission, not all travel agencies have service fees...

also....

the difference is that instead of getting a random call center employee, you get assigned to the same one.

Just think of the Cruise Line as a giant travel agency and you get the picture, difference is they own the product and when you own the product you can do whatever you want.

Travel agents are willing to pass some of their commission (on average 10%-15% of the base fare, not counting port charges or taxes) to the client in the form of a discount or incentive. If everyone books with the lines directly, then you have no competition and they have complete control over pricing...

I find it funny how some people say they can find a cheaper price with online agencies. I will send anyone $25 through pay pal if you could provide a link to an online TA that is advertising a rate that Carnival does not offer. Carnival enacted a no advertised rebate policy for their TA partners several years ago. Now if you call a TA and they quote you a rebated price (they rebate by cutting their own commission) that is different. I am talking about an "advertised" rebated price. I wouldn't be suprised if in the future Carnival does not allow their TA partner to call in anything less than the gross amount do (cruise balance + full TA commission) for final payment. I heard RCCL was doing this.

No matter how you look at it, PVP - or whatever Carnival calls them, is a cruise line's attempt to circumvent the travel agents community. Travel agents book people on these cruises - then have to give an "emergency" home number - then you get a call from them after the cruise to see if they can help you with another cruise. Anyway you look at it - it is bad for travel agents.

It is my understanding that cruise lines are moving to "net rates" very soon - meaning that a travel agent can add on their percentage in order to make a profit. Then the whole ballgame should become very interesting.

Actually, Carnival has both. You can work with a PVP, or just call the 1 800 number and work with a regular agent (I think they refer to them as CVC or sumpin).

So when you call the Carnival number you will not be talking to a PVP, but a CVS? How do you get a hold of a PVP??:)

Cotton,

I know you love your PVP and you know I love my agency owner.

What are you going to do if you ever want to cruise on another line?

We cruise multi lines, that's why we use a online TA [who is also a brick and mortar TA in her hometown]

When looking at different lines, my TA's relationship with that line can be the deciding factor. Otherwise I would have no basis to use since I don't read reviews.

And you couldn't tough it out in your FEMA trailer? Tsk, tsk. Well this old age business isn't for sissies.:D JK, I glad you didn't have to spend as much time in one of those little prisons as we did.

Dan

Hey Dan. Yep, TGIO - 'thank God I'm out' of the crackerjack box, but of course was so grateful to have had use of it.:)

I DID just go on an RCI cruise a few weeks ago. Needed a change, and wanted to go to Bahamas again. I did book it through a local TA - my XDIL, who owns her agency - and everything went very smoothly. I have nothing against TAs in general; it's just that I'm so accustomed to having that same PVP who knows my idiosyncrasies.:D

This is the first time that I worked with a Carnival PVP as opposed to a local travel agent. I have been more than please with her professionalism and courtesy - not to mention the great deal and upgrade I received.

You can call the Carnival 800 number and tell whomever answers to transfer you to the PVP department.:)

Thanks Cotton. I didn't know that there was someone else you could ask for when you called that number. I thought the people that answered the phone there were called PVP's.

I am a travel agent and have my own views on the PVP's. I read some are very good and I think that is great....good competition. However I read more often to call three or four times until you get the right answer...why would anyone want to do this? There is a great turnover in this department. Most good Ta's will know more than the PVP's, because they have booked CCL for a long time, and travelled on CCl for a long time. In addition, as one other poster noted...a TA is experienced with most all cruiselines, not only one. If you do have a problem, the PVP is working for the cruiseline, the travel agent is working for you...something to think about.

I could go on an on...but...

One last question...The cruiseline is paying commission to an agent anywhere from 8-16% of the cruise price....does the cruiseline discount your cruise this amount for booking direct??? No they don't. Should they?

Why not?

lvtotrvl1.

Think I can answer that question. Carnival has a non compete agreement with the TA. So if a TA is getting 10% commish and a PVP sells a cruise for $1000. The Ta can also sell that same cruise for $1000. The TA collects $1000 from me and sends $900 to Carnival, or Carnival sends $100 to the TA in a cc sale. If a PVP sells that cruise for $900, the TA can sell it for $900 and keep $ 90 for commish. But the TA could sell that cruise for $850 and only keep $40 for commish. A PVP can't do that, whatever price they quote is the price ALL authorized sellers of Carnival cruises can quote. The TA can discount their commish and sell for less.

Supposedily they cannot advertize the cruise at a lower price but can actually sell it at a lower price.

Correct No?

Dan

lvtotrvl1.

Think I can answer that question. Carnival has a non compete agreement with the TA. So if a TA is getting 10% commish and a PVP sells a cruise for $1000. The Ta can also sell that same cruise for $1000. The TA collects $1000 from me and sends $900 to Carnival, or Carnival sends $100 to the TA in a cc sale. If a PVP sells that cruise for $900, the TA can sell it for $900 and keep $ 90 for commish. But the TA could sell that cruise for $850 and only keep $40 for commish. A PVP can't do that, whatever price they quote is the price ALL authorized sellers of Carnival cruises can quote. The TA can discount their commish and sell for less.

Supposedily they cannot advertize the cruise at a lower price but can actually sell it at a lower price.

Correct No?

Dan

I understand all that..have been a TA for 12 years...my question is to the PVP lovers...why not get the discount? As far as a non-compete..that is not true. If CCL or any other cruise line could cut out travel agents they would love to. The sad fact (for them) is 80-90% of their business is still coming from the agent community (including online sites). Renaissance Cruises cut agents out years ago, and are now out of business. It is simply a very smart business move on the cruiselines part to stay even par with the agents. They are realizing quickly how much it is costing to try to bring the business in house through PVP's etc. It's an interesting period we are going through right now with the inhouse servicing etc. I don't think it will be long until we see changes again.

To answer your pricing question..with Carnival everyone has to advertise the CCL prices, however you can discount and take less commission. Not so with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. You cannot discount in any way.

I understand all that..have been a TA for 12 years...my question is to the PVP lovers...why not get the discount? As far as a non-compete..that is not true. If CCL or any other cruise line could cut out travel agents they would love to. The sad fact (for them) is 80-90% of their business is still coming from the agent community (including online sites). Renaissance Cruises cut agents out years ago, and are now out of business. It is simply a very smart business move on the cruiselines part to stay even par with the agents. They are realizing quickly how much it is costing to try to bring the business in house through PVP's etc. It's an interesting period we are going through right now with the inhouse servicing etc. I don't think it will be long until we see changes again.

To answer your pricing question..with Carnival everyone has to advertise the CCL prices, however you can discount and take less commission. Not so with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. You cannot discount in any way.

As an agent - do you think that Renaissance has been reborn as Oceanic - after all it is all the same owners and operators. And does it worry you that they may do the same thing that Renaissance did?

This is my first cruise on Carnival, we are on the Miracle Sept 2006. Anyway... she is fabulous. Asks about my family AND saved me a bunch of $$$! I called the other day about the sale and she had already adjusted my rate. How great is that? If I sail again with Carnival she will be the first person I call.

moeesha

Carnival Miracle Sept 17th 2006

NCL Dawn June 12 2005

Disney Magic August 2001

Thanks Cotton. I didn't know that there was someone else you could ask for when you called that number. I thought the people that answered the phone there were called PVP's.

You can call 1-800-Carnival and ask to be transferred to the PVP department, but they are going to ask you for a specific PVP's extension. Without that there is no where to transfer you. They don't have a extension where you can be tranferred to and someone answers. If you want to be called by a PVP go on Carnival's website and register or sign up with click to call. A PVP will call you after you register.

As an agent - do you think that Renaissance has been reborn as Oceanic - after all it is all the same owners and operators. And does it worry you that they may do the same thing that Renaissance did?

Supposedly it has...are you asking if they will cut out TA's? If so, I don't think they will...Renaissance tried at the end to get us back on board with them..wined and dined us, offered discounts...too many other good options out there for consumers to choose from. Oceania doesn't have that large of following yet to concern anyone.

One last question...The cruiseline is paying commission to an agent anywhere from 8-16% of the cruise price....does the cruiseline discount your cruise this amount for booking direct??? No they don't. Should they?

Why not?

First off all they don't get paid the 8-16% on the booking to give back to the guest and even if they did and they rebated the cruise they would be undercutting the travel agent. How long would you continue to push Carnival's product if they were undercutting the price you could get?

Give it up! Carnival and the other cruise lines aren't trying to cut out travel agents they are just trying to fill their ships cause travels agents aren't doing it for them.;) Every year hundreds if not thousands of travel agencies go out of business, while at the same time, the cruise lines keep adding more ships. Let's see.....more inventory and less travel agents. Who is going to fill these ships if the travel agents aren't filling them? Yes that's right PVP and CVS agents.

Also a Carnival agent is loyal to Carnival in the sense that they are not going to push another cruise line or vacation package on the guest. They are only going to push Carnival. How many millions of dollars does Carnival spend in marketing every year in order to get someone to walk into your travel agency and then you push RCCL because they are paying 20% commission this week?

Give it up! Carnival and the other cruise lines aren't trying to cut out travel agents they are just trying to fill their ships cause travels agents aren't doing it for them.;) Every year hundreds if not thousands of travel agencies go out of business, while at the same time, the cruise lines keep adding more ships. Let's see.....more inventory and less travel agents. Who is going to fill these ships if the travel agents aren't filling them? Yes that's right PVP and CVS agents.

Also a Carnival agent is loyal to Carnival in the sense that they are not going to push another cruise line or vacation package on the guest. They are only going to push Carnival. How many millions of dollars does Carnival spend in marketing every year in order to get someone to walk into your travel agency and then you push RCCL because they are paying 20% commission this week?

Wow...didn't expect such harsh responses. Never said they are trying too. I said if they could they would. Been in the business a long time and Carnival did try this years back, hence their marketing program "CCL loves travel agents". My origianl post, if you read it, says I think the good PVP's are good competition. I enjoy what I do for a living, and do quite well at it. I also am happy when I see other people (agents or cruiselines) doing well. Everyone is happy then. The original poster asked opinions, and I gave mine..didn't think it was a one sided opinion. Sorry if you thought so. Bottom line in this industry that if the clients are happy they come back for more! As far as the commission goes, I don't push people to a specific vendor for 1 or 2 % more commission. I try to match them to a product they will be happy with so they come back as a customer. FYI The major cruiselines all pay the same commissions to large agencies.

Archived