Valor questions

jerseygirl3

I asked this on the Costa Maya board, but got no responses. We're leaving this weekend on the Valor. One of our stops is Costa Maya. We plan on beaching it for the day and head to Majuhal. Can somebody assure me (or warn me) whether or not it is safe to drink the water (as in ice cubes, as in libations!) and food?

Yes, perfectly safe - unless you get violently ill! Sorry, there are no assurances in life, we ate and drank there in December with no problems, but if you are one that gets sick easily, stick with bottled libations and very well cooked food.

...and on another note, if people would use the port forum boards instead of posting here, yes, even if you are on a Carnival cruise, they would get a lot more activity and people would not have to post here, is that an egg v. chicken thing:confused:

MrDood, thanks for the info. No, we don't ordinarily get sick easily, so I guess we'll be okay. I know there are no absolutes, but I just wondered if it was recommended to avoid the little bars/restaurants that I've heard make up most of Majuhal.

I wouldn't ordinarily post here, but I got no responses on the Port of Call board. Since we'll be leaving home in two days, I was getting a bit anxious to get an answer. Sorry if I was wrong to post here.

I don't know if I'd risk it either to be honest. I had a diet coke with ice in Cozumel and almost flipped out after I took a couple sips and realized it.

You never know :)

Have fun! Please post and let us know how the trip is, I'm on the next Western Sailing on the Valor after yours and would love your review!

While we were in Costa Maya we went to the Mahal (sp) villiage. We ate and drank at the Cat's Meow. Great food, service and we had ice with our drinks. No one got sick.

If you go there, ask for Horhay. he is an excellent server. If you want a lounge chair he will get one for you if they are all taken at the time. Need a table by the chair, he will make sure you have one. They also have tables in the shade if you need/want one. Also if you want to go look around and not carry all your things he will watch them as well. We left all of our things (back pack, all the stuff we had purchased so far and TWO DIGITAL cameras (cameras were laying on the table)) and we went and looked around and he took care of our things. NOTHING was moved. Great piece of mind knowing you can trust another in a different country. If you do stop by tell him Christine says HELLO.

It is the first place you come to after being dropped off. The cost is $3.00 pp to get there and $2.00 pp for the return.

Don't forget to barter while in the village. We got some great deals while we were there. Also make sure you have lots small bills. Makes the bartering easier. Most things are also cheaper in the villiage as well.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

If you go to Cat's Meow, right after that, there is a tent on the left with some massage tables and about 4 ladies offering massages for $20 for 30 minutes. I bartered to get a 45 minute massage for $20 for my husband and I. It was WONDERFUL!

Ooooh, that sounds wonderful. After just learning that my son, who is supposed to join us on this cruise this coming Sunday, is not going to be able to make the cruise due to unforeseen work conflicts, I will need a massage to rid me of the tension I feel right now!

MrDood, thanks for the info. No, we don't ordinarily get sick easily, so I guess we'll be okay. I know there are no absolutes, but I just wondered if it was recommended to avoid the little bars/restaurants that I've heard make up most of Majuhal.

I wouldn't ordinarily post here, but I got no responses on the Port of Call board. Since we'll be leaving home in two days, I was getting a bit anxious to get an answer. Sorry if I was wrong to post here.

You would most likely be fine, I only drank the bottled stuff, but ate lots of local food. We walked to the end of town, there is a bar/shack called Pez Quadro, you can use lounge chairs on the beach and hang out, it is so nice, it was our favorite stop - we love undeveloped!

Sad you did not get a response on the Cost Maya forum, people don't go there often enough unfortuneately, I try to encourage the use of forums the way Cruise Critic was intended by the designers/owners - does not always work, it would if everyone would understand it, but people are too excited - are going on a carnival cruise and would even post here wondering what condoms are best... it can get silly, but it is about vacations and we all need to chill - sometimes I do get a little crazy, so just let it slide by....:eek:

Archived