Dining Room Seating Times and Bringing *Drinks* on Board

loisgriffin

Hope this is the appropriate place to post these questions! Getting ready for my second cruise - will be taking RC Serenade of the Seas to Alaska September 2006...first cruise was on Carnival to Mexico about 6 years ago - and I have a few questions.

Are there any benefits to early dinner seating over late seating or vice versa? (specifically for Royal Caribbean) On my first cruise, it seemed like those with late seating had a hard time getting seats to the evening shows. I believe I would prefer late seating so I do not have to cut my day short to get ready for dinner... Plus, with late seating, I could go grab a cocktail before dinner. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, what are the rules for brining wine and/or champagne on board RC for consumption in my stateroom? It appears hard alcohol is a no-no, but is it the same for wine/champagne?

Thanks for the help! :)

Technically you may not bring alcohol onto an RCI ship. That's what the rules state. However, some people are still doing it and being charged a fee.

If you book late dinner your shows will be before dinner. You should not have a problem getting seated.

I like late seating. I've always had it and always will. If you normally eat late (like I do) then it's the way to go. If you start to poop out at 10 each night you might want early.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe the wine/champagne thing was for another cruise line.....I have been reading about way too many boats lately!!

It would be nice to have a seating between early and late... Is it true that late seating is usually less crowded than early seating?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe the wine/champagne thing was for another cruise line.....I have been reading about way too many boats lately!!

It would be nice to have a seating between early and late... Is it true that late seating is usually less crowded than early seating?

Thanks again.

No, I've not noticed the late seating to be less populated. The dining room is still very full.

I always eat late seating as well. Since they have 2 shows, 1 for early and 1 for late (sometimes before dinner, sometimes after) I've never had troubles getting seats in the theater. Late seating usually has less kids, but is not necessarily less crowded. Although there are frequently wait lists for early seating.

As to wine, yes you can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard. There is a corkage fee. Now, reports are coming out this week that wine bottles are being confiscated as people board on certain ships - but if you tell the maitre'd which one you want for the next night's meal, he will retrieve it for you from your luggage.

While it's true that you are not supposed to bring any liquor onboard, I think they are more lax when it comes to a bottle or two of wine or champagne. Personally, I have taken a bottle of wine in my carry-on bag on every single cruise and I've never had it confiscated. In fact, the cabin steward will keep it on ice for you if you request.

I prefer late seating for the just the reason you state: your day is longer, you can take your time getting ready for dinner and if time allows, have a drink beforehard.

It used to be that late seating was much more popular than early seating, but I sense that turning around a bit (maybe as the general population gets older). It's hard to tell with the introduction of 'anytime' dining and the alternative restaurants what's most requested these days.

T

I always eat late seating as well. Since they have 2 shows, 1 for early and 1 for late (sometimes before dinner, sometimes after) I've never had troubles getting seats in the theater. Late seating usually has less kids, but is not necessarily less crowded. Although there are frequently wait lists for early seating.

Good point about the late seating having less kids. I think late seating is the way to go (since RCI does not appear to offer "anytime" seating)....

Definitely choose early or main seating. They have better candles and food. They don't charge for napkins like in late seating. They give away balloons to the kids and several free cars everynight to lucky passengers.

Sshh, I'm keeping Late Seating open for the rest of us...it is the best hands down.

Quoting Nliedel - No, RCI does not offer anytime dining and reservations for the specialty restaurants does fill up early. You do have some flezibility if you're willing to eat in the Windjammer.

So, speaking of the specialty restaurants... worth the extra money or not? And are you expected to tip extra?

I've only been to Portofino's not Chops but can definitely say they are worth it. The food is wonderful and the service is even better than the main dining rooms. The $20 includes a tip but I always tip a extra in Portofino's because the service is that great.

Archived