Urgent Advice Needed!

jerseygirl3

We (my husband, me, our four sons and three of their friends) are due to sail on the Valor this coming Sunday (May 28). My one son who will be meeting us in Miami from Chicago has just informed me that it looks like he won't be able to make the cruise. His job has something going on next week that may prohibit him from being gone. My TA is on vacation this week so I called Carnival. They are telling me that since I wouldn't be ADDING a passenger, but simply substituting a passenger, we can wait right up until we arrive at the pier and make a name change for $50. I asked several times if that was correct info (Carnival has been known to give out erroneous information) and she said she checked with her supervisor. If it comes down to that, we will try to find somebody who can go for free just not to lose the ticket. But does anybody know if that's true that you can make the name change that soon before sailing. I thought it was something like 72 hours? She said that's just for new bookings or adding a passenger, but a substitution can be done right up until the last minute.

My TA doesn't have a manager. He is a one-person operation. He is on vacation this week (on a cruise), but he keeps in touch via email. I have sent him an email and I'm waiting to hear back from him. But in the meantime I thought I'd get some advice from these boards, since people here are so knowledgeable.

I encountered a similar situation last September on the Glory and was able to change a passenger name 18 hours before we sailed -- for the $50 fee. As long as the replacement person has valid sailing id (passport or birth certificate, etc.), you should be fine.

Sorry your son can't make it, though.

SB

I can just see your replacement getting to the port all excited and not being let on the ship. That would be horrible.

Be sure whoever you are considering has the proper travel documentation - some people don't know where their official birth certificate is or they have it in a safe deposit box and have to go get it. Of course a passport is easiest.

Good luck. I hope your son can go.

I thought that due to Homeland Security, they had to have the name at least 48 hours in advance???

It is within 15 minutes of sailing. It is the return to the US that the list must be turned in in advance. If the list is submitted that far in advance it would not be accurate, ie, people not showing up, crew substitutions, etc.

Dave

It is within 15 minutes of sailing. It is the return to the US that the list must be turned in in advance. If the list is submitted that far in advance it would not be accurate, ie, people not showing up, crew substitutions, etc.

Dave

Going to back up jetskier here...

Especially if it's already booked and you're just doing a passenger substitution.

Just make sure that the person has all ID and paperwork ready (preferably a passport).

Ideally make it before the day of sailing.

Here's a previous thread from earlier today that backs up the info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=352245

CJW

Archived