Internet/Phone usage on ship

jerseygirl3

We're sailing on the Valor this weekend. My son, who is supposed to be sailing with us, may have to cancel due to a commitment for work. If he is able to go on the cruise, he will have to be in contact with his office in Chicago. Does anybody know if there is a less expensive way (other than a ship-to-shore call) to have a lengthy conference call? In other words, can you purchase a package of minutes like you can with the internet. What do businessmen do who have to stay in touch? Is there a conference center or some such thing on the ship And with the internet, I've heard the Valor has wi-fi throughout the ship. Is it reliable? If he brings his laptop, is it highly likely to work?

Under any other circumstances, he would just cancel, and that may be ultimately what he will have to do. But this is a special cruise (we're celebrating one of our sons graduation from college) and our entire family is going. I know most people go on a cruise for relaxation, but my son is only 25, so he's got plenty of years ahead of him to relax. He knows how much it means for me that he be on this cruise with the rest of us, so I know he's trying to figure out a way to be on this cruise but be able to stay in touch with his office on a merger that will be taking place while we're on the ship. He's in investment banking, so their jobs are highly demanding and very unpredictable.

Any advice?

We are on the Valor (Western Itinerary) in June and are having the same issue. My sister is leaving her twins with her mother-in-law and will need to call a couple of times during the week and we just don't know what to do. MIL does not have internet and the last time we were in the Caribbean we had some really outrageous phone bills when we got home. I'm needing suggestions too!

I brought my laptop to keep in touch with my kids while we were gone. They have internet specials you can purchase the first day. I bought something like 240 minutes for $100, plus one time 3.95 activation fee. I had plenty of minutes to keep in touch.

I also used the laptop in my room, around the ship with no problems at all.

I don't know how much the phones cost per minute or what packages are out there. I would suggest your son ask about the company reimbursing him for any phone calls related to work. It is a business expense after all. Then he would not have to worry about cost and he could enjoy the trip with his family.

We're sailing on the Valor this weekend. My son, who is supposed to be sailing with us, may have to cancel due to a commitment for work. If he is able to go on the cruise, he will have to be in contact with his office in Chicago. Does anybody know if there is a less expensive way (other than a ship-to-shore call) to have a lengthy conference call?

Hi JoAnn--Unfortunately, there is no "package" for the ship-to-shore phone calls. From what I hear, the wireless Internet [which is bow-to-stern] on the Valor is rather reliable. Your son should have no problems with a Windows-based laptop

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't think his company will reimburse him since it's not a business trip he'll be on. In his field, you always have to be prepared to cancel personal vacation plans last minute (he has associates that have been called back when they're on the way to the airport). Investment banking is so unpredictable. A deal they are working on for two years that looks like it's going nowhere will suddenly close.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can go, but I don't want him to go and worry the entire time.

Since his job is so unpredictable, he should consider buying travel insurance with a 'cancel for any reason' option if he plans to cruise in the future. TravelSafe is the only one I know that has that option, but some cruise lines protection plans have similar features. With TravelSafe, you pay extra for that option, but you can cancel for ANY reason up to 2 days before your travel date.

If he can schedule the call during a port visit, there are very reasonable phone rates ashore in some Internet cafes.

However, if he is going to have to work and worry, he probably won't enjoy the cruise any may be better off staying back home.

Hopefully, he will close a lot of deals and eventually get to the point were he can go on vacation and not worry about what happens at work.

The "cancel for any reason" might be a good idea. But the 2 day notification might be a problem, as his cancellations might be very last minute.

Yes, hopefully, he will do so well that he can retire early and not have to worry about things like this. Actually, I'm probably the one worrying more than he is! He's used to working under pressure Me? I like to have all my ducks in a row. Don't know how I gave birth to this child!

D4, thank you for the suggestion of the satellite phone. My son has decided to go on the cruise, and he has rented a satellite phone and will bring his laptop. I'm so thankful he will be joining us! Hopefully, he'll be able to relax and enjoy the cruise too!

Archived