Ocho Rios snorkel vs. river tubing safari?

murphyis1

I have read many posts stating that snorkeling is fair at best in Ocho Rios. We are considering doing the river tubing safari on the White River instead. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks for the help!

murphy

I would say 'fair' is being generous. I took the Dunn's River Falls and Snorkel tour. The Falls were great, but the snorkelling was so bad everyone just got back on the boat and sat around drinking rum punch.

I would suggest anything other than snorkeling.

Ocho Rios does not have good diving or snorkeling locations. It's warm water and much better than say Lake Ontario, but nothing compared to most other places in the Carribeans. Overfishing and lack of environment conscienceness is the problem there.

The river tubing excursion is a blast; we did it back in 2004. Our guide was quite the character, and the rum punch (mostly rum - wow!) really made the trip down the river an unforgettable experience.

I'd definitely take a pass on diving or snorkeling in Jamaica. Save the snorkeling for Cozumel, if that's on your itinerary.

I would do the river tubing. My DH and I honeymooned at Sandals Dunn's River and we did a bunch of the excursions. The White River Tubing was great. Dunn's River Falls was my favorite, but tubing was a very close second. I seemed to hit every tree root or bank to get me stuck there was going down the river. My husband and I just laughed and laughed it was great fun. Snorkeling was just ok.

Jamaica isn't known for being a good dive spot. I spent a week there in '01 not far from Ocho Rios and did some diving, but it was pretty bland. Dunn's River Falls was much more fun, didn't do tubing but it sounds good too.

Archived