Tip question, haven't cruised in two years

REGINA

My kids are going on their first Cruise and we told them to expect to see their tips on their sail and sign.

We advised them to do like we do. We have them taken off and get the envelopes. We just really prefer the personal touch.

Can you still do this? Not sure they'll want to do as we do but I don't want to give them any wrong information.

Thanks

Just to let you know if you do it like that your servers, steward etc must then share those tips with everyone. If you leave it on your S&S card they get it all, otherwise it goes into a pool of money that is then split among all the crew that gets tips. So even thoguht you are trying to be nice by doing the personal touch, you are actually taking money out of their pockets. Bring them a needed gift for he personal touch instead. Calling cards, some extra ones in an envelope etc.

Yes, you can still do that:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

The automatic tips are only $10 per day and are divided up as:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

I find it easier to leave the tips in place and then give them some extra in cash near the end. We haven't had any problems where we felt it necessary to lower or remove the tips.

Also, what Illinoisgal mentioned about them having to pool tips if they are removed from your S&S card has been reported by other CC members who have talked with the staff.

John

Just to let you know if you do it like that your servers, steward etc must then share those tips with everyone. If you leave it on your S&S card they get it all, otherwise it goes into a pool of money that is then split among all the crew that gets tips. So even thoguht you are trying to be nice by doing the personal touch, you are actually taking money out of their pockets. Bring them a needed gift for he personal touch instead. Calling cards, some extra ones in an envelope etc.

Curious, why would they have to pool the cash (given to them personally) and not pool the tips from s&s?:confused: How would anyone know how much you gave them. Doesn't make sense to me! It seems more likely that the s&s tips would be pooled. I always give cash throughout the cruise and the crew has been very happy with this. When I sailed with Carnival last November, I had the tips removed immediately from my s&s card as they were put on the first night and I found this tacky. I always tip well, I hand them cash (no envelopes) throughout the cruise. The service was great and the crew ended up with more than the recommended amount! This worked great for me and the crew was happy!

Sandie

My kids are going on their first Cruise and we told them to expect to see their tips on their sail and sign.

We advised them to do like we do. We have them taken off and get the envelopes. We just really prefer the personal touch.

Can you still do this? Not sure they'll want to do as we do but I don't want to give them any wrong information.

Thanks

You can absolutley do this, as I did it just a few days ago. It is totally up to the passenger. However you want to tip is the right way, whichever the prefrence. I prefer to tip according to service I received. I had all tips removed the first day and the purser was very nice about this. My room steward and dining team was always very gracious and friendly.

Curious, why would they have to pool the cash (given to them personally) and not pool the tips from s&s?:confused: How would anyone know how much you gave them. Doesn't make sense to me! It seems more likely that the s&s tips would be pooled. I always give cash throughout the cruise and the crew has been very happy with this. When I sailed with Carnival last November, I had the tips removed immediately from my s&s card as they were put on the first night and I found this tacky. I always tip well, I hand them cash (no envelopes) throughout the cruise. The service was great and the crew ended up with more than the recommended amount! This worked great for me and the crew was happy!

Sandie

How did you tip the staff at the Lido buffet, how did you hand the bus people money at the Lido, the omelette chef, the guy carving the roast beef? Did you give money to the two assistants that work for your cabin steward or did you just pay your cabin steward? The auto tip system is a well designed system that divides the money amongst the crew that serves you, it was designed with input from the crew. Do you remove the auto tips from your drinks as well. Does not make sense to me, of course there are a thousand threads on this and what happens to the crew when auto-tips are removed. I am sure the crew that got the money acted happy, but this is not the system they like per the most I have talked to and read articles about. By all means if the service is bad, lower it and if the service is good, add to it or pay cash. Did you ask which they would prefer? I have cruised twice in the last six months, I have asked, especially on the last cruise - every single one prefers the auto system, it gives the proper amount to the right people and is available to them in an account they can have family back home debit immediately. Removing the auto tips serves no purpose to the crew except self gratification of you the rich tourist handing out money to them talk about tacky, did they bow or kneel when you handed over the wealth - yeeha!

To each his own.

How did you tip the staff at the Lido buffet, how did you hand the bus people money at the Lido, the omelette chef, the guy carving the roast beef? Did you give money to the two assistants that work for your cabin steward or did you just pay your cabin steward? The auto tip system is a well designed system that divides the money amongst the crew that serves you, it was designed with input from the crew. Do you remove the auto tips from your drinks as well. Does not make sense to me, of course there are a thousand threads on this and what happens to the crew when auto-tips are removed. I am sure the crew that got the money acted happy, but this is not the system they like per the most I have talked to and read articles about. By all means if the service is bad, lower it and if the service is good, add to it or pay cash. Did you ask which they would prefer? I have cruised twice in the last six months, I have asked, especially on the last cruise - every single one prefers the auto system, it gives the proper amount to the right people and is available to them in an account they can have family back home debit immediately. Removing the auto tips serves no purpose to the crew except self gratification of you the rich tourist handing out money to them talk about tacky, did they bow or kneel when you handed over the wealth - yeeha!

To each his own.

Oh for heaven's sakes settle down! Don't make people feel bad because they prefer to pay cash. How it gets distributed from there is NOT MY PROBLEM! You have the right to tip as you wish. Because that's what it is, a TIP! Let's not get into a pissing match now..

Oh for heaven's sakes settle down! Don't make people feel bad because they prefer to pay cash. How it gets distributed from there is NOT MY PROBLEM! You have the right to tip as you wish. Because that's what it is, a TIP! Let's not get into a pissing match now..

If people feel bad because of a post - NOT MY PROBLEM! Hungry kids in Asia - NOT MY PROBLEM! Homeless in Louisiana - NOT MY PROBLEM!

I encourage people to tip as they wish, I am allowed my opinion, and was passing on direct information from the crew, pissing match - no, NOT MY PROBLEM!

If people feel bad because of a post - NOT MY PROBLEM! Hungry kids in Asia - NOT MY PROBLEM! Homeless in Louisiana - NOT MY PROBLEM!

I encourage people to tip as they wish, I am allowed my opinion, and was passing on direct information from the crew, pissing match - no, NOT MY PROBLEM!

Pass on your opinion like a mature adult instead of a preacher, get off your soap box now. Don't have to be overbearing and rude.

I never knew that about them pooling it Illinoisgal! We always leave ours on there because it's easier and we like not hassling and I'm really glad we did!

I have to say that when we took our first and second cruise the tipping was done on the last night with the envelopes. We tipped more than what they suggested.

The last two cruises we did the Auto tip and left them in place and just gave a little extra on the last night.

The last thing I want to worry about is the tipping. If they go above and beyond they get the extra tip. If they just do their job they get a tip.

We have never removed for bad service. I hope that day never comes.

Bring them a needed gift for he personal touch instead. Calling cards, some extra ones in an envelope etc.

This is something I have thought about doing. Especially since we are going at Christmas time. But I hear different things about this. Some people say the staff likes the extra touches. Some people say they prefer money and toss the extras. I have not decided what to do about that yet. :confused:

We are going to leave our tips on. Perhaps we will tip extra at the end, but tipping is not something we want to think about if we don't have to. It's nice to have it taken care of and to know everyone is going to get what they should be getting.

To each his own.

Wow...I just got ripped on another thread, because I didn't like a RCCL comment on a review. (5 days and 4 nights was more than enough!!! back to royal caribbean for me! ~ sorry, I did not like that comment and dared to say so.) You would have put them into a coma...my hero!

I too, leave it on the S&S card. I also never leave my cabin without a roll of singles....for the people who bring me coffee, clears a table on the Lido for me, the nice lady who squirted me with the lavender scented water, you get the point. Also all the $$$ that goes out to the Piano Player.

Then on my last night I always give a large tip to the crew member that made my cruise exceptional..and yes, there is always one.

Having cruised 3 times over Christmas, I always give my "people" a gift bag. It contains phonecards..WalMart cards (so they can stock up while in Port ) a t shirt from our home town.

I too, work in the service industry, the extra kind people totally make up for all the ***** you meet along the way. For some reason, I see alot of them on cruise ships. Tips are a great thing, but you can't expect them.

Wow...I just got ripped on another thread, because I didn't like a RCCL comment on a review. (5 days and 4 nights was more than enough!!! back to royal caribbean for me! ~ sorry, I did not like that comment and dared to say so.) You would have put them into a coma...my hero!

So what does that have to do with this thread:confused: anyway that thread got pulled:rolleyes:

....now getting back to this thread... We leave our tips on the S&S card.. much easier that way..

So what does that have to do with this thread:confused: anyway that thread got pulled:rolleyes:

As it should have since they couldn't play nice.

I was complimenting mrdood on his "tell it like it is" honest comment. It was just a refreshing change last night..that's all. Sorry complimenting someone seems to offend some folks.

As for the tipping, the charges to the Sail and Sign has its pros and cons, but since Carnival has a lot of young, college age cruisers...I can't imagine the number of cabin stewards who have worked all week only to get stiffed because the tip money got "drunk up". Now that is not a problem. So that is a good thing.

I too, leave it on the S&S card. I also never leave my cabin without a roll of singles....for the people who bring me coffee, clears a table on the Lido for me, the nice lady who squirted me with the lavender scented water, you get the point. Also all the $$$ that goes out to the Piano Player.

Then on my last night I always give a large tip to the crew member that made my cruise exceptional..and yes, there is always one.

Having cruised 3 times over Christmas, I always give my "people" a gift bag. It contains phonecards..WalMart cards (so they can stock up while in Port ) a t shirt from our home town.

I too, work in the service industry, the extra kind people totally make up for all the ***** you meet along the way. For some reason, I see alot of them on cruise ships. Tips are a great thing, but you can't expect them.

The Christmas gift is a nice touch. I have also always felt that along with the money, our "respect" is a wonderful gift to give those who make our cruise its best. I was so proud when our cabin steward (at the end of our cruise) literally thanked me for not acting like a "princess". Because I knew that our respect for him and the wonderful job he did was clear!

I TOTALLY AGREE! I have always been respectful to the staff onboard. I could NEVER do that job. I'm sure that made you feel great!! Another way to help is to fill out the comment cards with names and incidents of the great crew, that was they get recongnized, which could help with promotions, bonuses, more off time etc.

I personally dont need to feel the gratification of giving it in cash over the S&S. they get all of the money then, plus I can still tip extra in cash at the end, everyone wins!

I TOTALLY AGREE! I have always been respectful to the staff onboard. I could NEVER do that job. I'm sure that made you feel great!! Another way to help is to fill out the comment cards with names and incidents of the great crew, that was they get recongnized, which could help with promotions, bonuses, more off time etc.

I personally dont need to feel the gratification of giving it in cash over the S&S. they get all of the money then, plus I can still tip extra in cash at the end, everyone wins!

So true. Great reminder about the comment cards!! They are very important.

To each his own.

LOL. Maybe you need another cruise to lighten up your heavy load of anger that you're carrying! Its not about self gratification and the only tacky behavior here is yours!!! YOU have ISSUES!!!

I don't make a big fan fare out of tipping, I just hand it to the person in conversation or in passing. As a matter of fact, I did tip both my room steward and his assistant! I tipped everyone that I was supposed to and then some. As far as the buffet chef or the guy carving the roast beef I don't believe I saw that category on the suggested auto tipping amount!:rolleyes: Why would I remove the auto tips from my drinks?:confused: I think the servers deserve their tips! I feel the opposite way than you do as I do not believe that everyone gets their share of the auto tips. The cruiseline could easily keep 10 or 20% say and divide the rest amongst the crew. I pay cash simply because I want to make sure that the crew gets the money and not the cruiseline! Simple as that! As far as it being distributed properly, that I guess it would be up to the individual to contribute to the pool that is to be shared. Not all cruiselines do it this way and yet the system seems to work! When I worked as I server we tipped a % of our tips to support staff so I see no reason it would not work this way on the cruiseship! I know from personal experience that many servers do not get all the money when its left to the company to distribute! And that is why I tip cash!

You are correct though................to each his own!

Sandie:D

fierysand -- so it's more a personal gratification to you? I don't mean that to be snarky. Like, because you handed it to them you feel more comforatable with the fact of you "know" it will go straight to them just like we "know" that our tips on the S&S go straight to them. Does that make sense? It's almost like a security blanket for you to give it to them that way? My only question is did they know that this was the way you chose to do it? Like, they weren't thinking "wow this woman is very, very nice to give us all this on top of our room tips!" and then you actually were giving them their tips?

I'm genuinely curious on how it works to tell you the truth. Anytime I've ever given a cabin steward money throughout the week (did on RCCL with my Mom and had IMPECABLE service to our room, I should do that this summer on CCL) I've always just done it as extra and given my tips at the end of the week so I was wondering :)

LOL. Maybe you need another cruise to lighten up your heavy load of anger that you're carrying! Its not about self gratification and the only tacky behavior here is yours!!! YOU have ISSUES!!!

I don't make a big fan fare out of tipping, I just hand it to the person in conversation or in passing. As a matter of fact, I did tip both my room steward and his assistant! I tipped everyone that I was supposed to and then some. As far as the buffet chef or the guy carving the roast beef I don't believe I saw that category on the suggested auto tipping amount!:rolleyes: Why would I remove the auto tips from my drinks?:confused: I think the servers deserve their tips! I feel the opposite way than you do as I do not believe that everyone gets their share of the auto tips. The cruiseline could easily keep 10 or 20% say and divide the rest amongst the crew. I pay cash simply because I want to make sure that the crew gets the money and not the cruiseline! Simple as that! As far as it being distributed properly, that I guess it would be up to the individual to contribute to the pool that is to be shared. Not all cruiselines do it this way and yet the system seems to work! When I worked as I server we tipped a % of our tips to support staff so I see no reason it would not work this way on the cruiseship! I know from personal experience that many servers do not get all the money when its left to the company to distribute! And that is why I tip cash!

You are correct though................to each his own!

Sandie:D

Excuse Me!!! I cruised with mrdood on May 1. He is the most generous and kind person that I have met. If he has a heavy load of anger, it would only be for someone like you. He is 100% correct on his tipping. I don't blame him for having issues with your methods of tipping. Most people on here would have issues with you. YOU are the tacky one in this situation.

Archived