Tip question, haven't cruised in two years

REGINA

........So we hopped a cab to where the Valor was docked, were lucky enough to get a cabin and boarded the Valor to enjoy another week of cruising. .......
Sandie, so you went to the Valor the day it was sailing and were able to book a cabin for that cruise? When did you do that? The reason I ask is the question about booking less than 72 hours in advance comes up a lot.
So are you saying that if you leave a tip for yor room steward, or waiter, etc they don't get the full tip you leave them? Sorry, just trying to get things clear
The way it has been explained to me is if you remove the tips from your S&S card and tip in cash they have to pool the cash tip. If you leave your tips on the S&S card and then tip them an additional amount in cash they are able to keep it. It has also been reported that if tips are removed it sends up a red flag that they might have done something wrong and they'll have to explain this to their boss:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6720223&postcount=39

John

Sandie, so you went to the Valor the day it was sailing and were able to book a cabin for that cruise? When did you do that? The reason I ask is the question about booking less than 72 hours in advance comes up a lot.The way it has been explained to me is if you remove the tips from your S&S card and tip in cash they have to pool the cash tip. If you leave your tips on the S&S card and then tip them an additional amount in cash they are able to keep it. It has also been reported that if tips are removed it sends up a red flag that they might have done something wrong and they'll have to explain this to their boss:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6720223&postcount=39

John

Now that's the part I was not clear on, I glad to learn that if I keep my tips on my S&S card then also leave cash that they receive the whole amount. If they have done exceptional work & someone wants to reward them for it I believe they should not have to share it with someone that might have just given mediocore service.

Mrdood gave me the most laughs though as he was the biggest loudmouth and most imaginative. Life is too short to be this grumpy!!! Thanks for the laughs!:D

Not sure how you interpreted my sarcasm as anger, issues, or me being grumpy - talk about misinterpreting!!!

As people that know me have chimed in on this thread - you are 100% in the wrong direction about all those imaginitive descriptions - once again, get over yourself princess! Talk about humor:)

Sandie, so you went to the Valor the day it was sailing and were able to book a cabin for that cruise? When did you do that? The reason I ask is the question about booking less than 72 hours in advance comes up a lot.

John

We sailed on the November 20th, 2005 sailing on the Radiance which we disembarked the morning of the 27th and then boarded the Valor that same morning booking less than an hour before we boarded.:D

We wanted to stay on the Radiance for another week so the night before we disembarked we went to the Crown & Anchor desk and inquired about staying on board and they said that the 27th sailing was closed as 72 hours was required to be placed on the ships manifest and for immigration purposes. So not being one to give up I used the ships internet service and went on line and checked availablity for the Valor as we had been shadowing the Valor all week and it looked like an awesome ship. I saw that there was space available for inside cabins but the site would not let me book within 24 hours of sailing. So when we arrived in port we hopped a cab over to the Valor to see about booking. Once we got there the desk was closed so I called the 1-800 number for www.cruise.com and spoke to an awesome lady named Madie (who has gained a new and very greatful customer for all future travel). She said that she had to call Carnival to make sure that we were able to get on the ship and to call her back in ten minutes. I called back and she said that Carnival would allow me to board and that there had been a cancellation for a balcony cabin and we could get it if we wanted. :D I said YES and gave her my visa number and she gave me a 7 digit confirmation number that I would need to give the Carnival desk when checking in. We waited for the desk to open then gave Cindy at the Carnival desk our reservation number and she was absolutely wonderful. She said that we would love the ship and gave the kids a couple of Carnival hats and joked that they were't like that RCI line that needs 3 days for what they could do in a few minutes. :p As their computer system still had the names of the original people who booked this cabin there was a bit of confusion but she made a quick call and all was resolved. She crossed off the names of these passengers on some paperwork she had and wrote our names in. She said that as soon as had they completed disembarkment for the current cruisers we could board immediately and would not have to wait till the afternoon to board. After a short wait we were able to board.

Our first port of call was Grand Caymen and while we got off the ship with no problems when we returned on the tender our cards all buzzed when we entered them because ours names did not match the copy of the manifest they had. So we had to wait till the copy of the manifest came from the security office, had to retake our pics for some reason and then we were cleared to reboard. After this the issue was resolved we had no futher problems with reboarding. I think that we were only added to the manifest in the security office as all others with passenger lists still had the names of the original people our cabin was intended for. This is probably why RCI requires 72 hours to avoid any confusion as to who it is thats on the ship. So while RCI is very strict about the 72 hour requirement you can always cruise with Carnival for any spur on the moment decisions to go on a cruise! :D :D I love Carnival!

Sandie

Not sure how you interpreted my sarcasm as anger, issues, or me being grumpy - talk about misinterpreting!!!

As people that know me have chimed in on this thread - you are 100% in the wrong direction about all those imaginitive descriptions - once again, get over yourself princess! Talk about humor:)

I can honestly say that you are good entertainment...................but to educate...........sarcasm is a form of anger............and ...............humor is good for the soul!

First impressions are what they are, may or may not be correct, either way you gave me a good laugh and continue to do so!:p :D ..............................................now where is my tiara?;)

Sandie:D

Archived