swim suits for Alaska on the Veendam?

travlin4fun

The Lido pool has a retractable cover which is opened when the weather is warm and closed when the cold breezes blow. The aft pool is not covered and it may be too cool to swim in that one unless the ship is in port. You might be lucky and have some really warm weather. By all means, bring the swimsuit.

Have a wonderful trip. I think every child should see Alaska!!

Bring the swim suit but use the Lido pool rather than the Navigation pool aft.

At this time of the year Alaska can be very cool but with the roof closed on the Lido pool things should be fine. I have seen many use that pool in May in Alaska

Thanks, the2ofus!

She's a good swimmer, though only 9, but I KNOW it will be too cold for me (we heat our pool all summer long, and we live in SW Fla!). But she braves the cold water and loves to swim.

So her swimsuit is going in the bag...

Gosh, sure is hard to pack with all this dancing going on! Am I excited or what!??!! I'll probably have cc withdrawals from the time we leave home until we SEE the ship!

Thanks again!

We went swimming in the Lido pool on our Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam. They had the retractable cover closed, obviously, but the water was still freezing! We lasted all of five minutes maybe. However, the only people who managed to stay in the pool were children, so maybe your DD won't mind!

Last year on the Zaandam, the current temperature of both the Lido and Aft Pools was displayed on the information board that tracks the current ship's position, ocean conditions, etc. The Lido Pool was consistently in the mid 80s and the aft pool was in the upper 80s and low 90s the entire trip. :eek: Our nephew swam ever day in the Lido pool and loved it. :D.

the current temperature of both the Lido and Aft Pools was displayed on the information board that tracks the current ship's position, ocean conditions, etc.

wow! That is good to know! I wonder if the Veendam does that?

Thanks, Himself!

I've been searching for pictures of folks in the pool on an Alaska cruise, and hadn't found any.

Thanks again to you both!

hope you have a great time. If you could could you please go up to deck 10 starboard side and tell mifta rohman i say hello! he was our room steward and is absolutly amazing!

travlin4fun, Have a great cruise onboard the Veendam. We'll be getting on in Seward when you get off (Jun 4th). I sure hope I get the docs soon.:mad: You'll love the Veendam. It's our favorite. This will be our 3rd cruise on it. Very elegant. It should be even better with the upgrade. Can't wait. Enjoy.

Hoosierheadhunter

Hoosierheadhunter,

Try tracking the docs on DHL.com using your cruise confirmation number as the reference. It may not work, but it did for me. If it works for you, then you will at least know when to expect them.

My TA had to make numerous calls and endure lengthy holds, but it paid off in the end.

I can doc dance and pack dance at the same time!

Yeah, I've been checking DHL several times a day and we've been calling daily as well. They told me that they would put me on "priority status"! That doesn't give me much relief. I do have my e-tickets for the air to Anchorage. Also, the rep said that they will have people to meet and greet every step of the way, so, "worst case, even if we don't have the docs, we are on lists and manifests, so don't worry yada, yada, yada". I am preparing for this. If the docs come, all the better. In the last call, they said "if the docs don't come by Friday (tomorrow), we will do something drastic".

HH

DD wants to bring her swim suit! Will it be warm enough for that? This is our first cruise to a cold climate.

We are packing now! Thanks to any who can shed some light...

If you are packing now for a cruise that will embark soon, then you will encounter chillier temperatures than those on a midsummer cruise. I would suggest your daughter wear a cover-up and she can determine if it is too cold for her to swim in a pool. I hope that this activity isn't very important to her, though, as it can be quite cold this time of year.

Don't count on her being able to warm up in the hot tub, as that is, to the best of my knowledge, an adults-only area. (Thank goodness!)

As far as I can tell, no one lets the fact that they are in Alaska keep them from the pools! They are always crowded, and lots of kids to play with. If your daughter decides she wants to join the Club HAL activities, they have swim parties too.

Southeast Alaska has a temperate climate, much like Seattle. A lot of folks get into that Alaskan Eskimo/igloo mindset, and think they are going to freeze. The summers of 2000 and 2001 were (to my way of thinking) almost hot in Southeast Alaska. Anchorage and Fairbanks are even warmer than Southeast.

Pack that swim suit! She will use it! Everyday, if she's like my kids.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks! I'll try to pass along your greeting. Will he recognize you by the name "kikiwik" ?

Wait a minute....which deck is deck 10? Is that the navigator deck?

Thanks that would be great. I'd Love to get in touch with him so if you can get an e-mail addy that would be great too heh!

No tell him Kim and Aaron Say Hi From 007 he will know us from that. He kept calling us James Bond Because of our room number. And Yes it's the Navigation Deck.

Archived