No Beverages at All?

RCI's website now says you can't bring beverages of any kind on board the ship. No doubt this is an attempt to crack down on smuggling attempts (i.e. vodka in water bottles, rum in iced tea bottles, etc.). I'm cruising with them in a week and I plan to buy the soda card ($42 isn't a bad deal for the whole week), but I'd like to not have to run up to a bar or cafe every time I want something other than water. Also, I'd like to have some bottled water/gatorade to throw in a backpack when I go ashore. From what I've heard (and what I remember), soda card drinks are served, single serving, in cups.

I guess my question is, how serious are they about this policy? If i throw some water bottles with water in them, gatorade bottles with gatorade in them, or unopened cans of soda in my carry on, will I make it on board with my luggage intact? Any experience with this out there? I'm leaving from Miami. Would it be easier just to pick some stuff up at the first stop and try to bring it back?

this last trip we went to walmart and got our flavored water and took it right onto the ship "by hand" not in the bags. They didnt seem to care a bit about it and they did have that on all the thigs we had about nothing can be brought onto the ship..... we did seemany others also bring water on the ship without a thing being said. I would guess it all has something to do with just how much and what it is you bring that makes them look and take. And it may also have to do with jsut WHO is doing the looking on what is being done.

I couldn't find it on the website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=0000slNGAHn_0PRTXxvKZZsG6FW:10ktdmnut

This says no ALCOHOLIC beverages- nothing about non alcohol ones.

I saw that as well -- sometimes I think people quote things as being on the website that are never there just to stir up a ruckus...lol

I would also like to hear from anyone going soon. I want to bring a case of poland spring and a case of code red. We will buy plenty of alchol and DS will get a soda card, but these are items we choose not to be without. And from what I can see, we can't get them on the ship.

why would you want to start out your cruise as a smuggler?

brinigng soda and water is not smuggling since it doesn't violate any of the cruise lines rules. Also smuggling implies a violation of law.

You know like the well known smugglers the Kennedy's...

You're right, I didn't actually see that on the website--that was the alcohol policy. I did, however, see the exact same reply from RCI in a few different posts (as in, members had gotten the same "no beverages" reply when they asked and then posted it to the forum.)

And I'd like to "start out my cruise as a smuggler" because, even though I'm getting the soda card, sometimes I'd like to enjoy a soda/water/gatorade without waiting in line at a bar or leaving my room.

I guess I'll just throw a few in my carry-on and if they stop me, try to reason with them. Worst case scenario, I have to throw my sodas away and I'm out 10 bucks.

Okay, I just called RCI and I was told that they are currently not allowing you to bring on your own water, soda, etc. That being said she did say that it is up to the discretion of the ship. The rep I spoke with said that she has heard of several people that have had their water held until the end of the cruise while others have had no problems. It is left to the discretion of the crew of each ship if they tag it and allow it on or hold it till the end of your cruise. Probably depends on if the seal is cracked on the water bottle or not. ;) She did say that they still allowed you to bring on two bottles of wine as long as they were not on their wine list. Then she directed on how to find their wine list online so I could test out some of their wines before I cruise. :p Happy to know that I was still allowed to bring two bottles of my favorite red BC wine!

Sandie:D

I'm still going to smuggle ANYTHING I WANT in my checked luggage onto these ships! :D

The worst that can happen is they xray it, see the booze, soda and water, and take it from me till the end of the cruise.... they're not going to deny me passage over it! ;)

I can live with the consequences!

But I highly doubt the above scenario will occur! they're not goign to have the time nor personnel to inspect every piece of checked luggage!

What I can see happening is their liability policy gets revised and basically eliminates their liability in situations relating to alcohol, suicide, etc., and we all have to agree and sign it prior to embarkation.

I guess I'll just throw a few in my carry-on and if they stop me, try to reason with them. Worst case scenario, I have to throw my sodas away and I'm out 10 bucks.

Bring 2 liter bottles of soda & gallon bottles of water.

You can have the room steward clear out your fridge and put your stuff in it.

Dont forget to move the shelf to the top most slot so you can "lay" something sideways on it.

You are 100% right about the worst case scenario above!

DH did buy a soda card and also smuggled his favorite morning drink on - Dr. Pepper in 2 liter bottles. Because who wants to roll out of bed to have to go get a "cup of coke" first thing in the morning?!

For me, I brought 2 single liter bottles of water and 2 gallons of water onboard because I am 20 weeks pregnant and absolutely have to stay hydrated. We just kept refilling the liter bottles and travelling around the ship and on shore with them. It worked out very well!

Okay, I just called RCI and I was told that they are currently not allowing you to bring on your own water, soda, etc. That being said she did say that it is up to the discretion of the ship. The rep I spoke with said that she has heard of several people that have had their water held until the end of the cruise while others have had no problems. It is left to the discretion of the crew of each ship if they tag it and allow it on or hold it till the end of your cruise. Probably depends on if the seal is cracked on the water bottle or not. ;) She did say that they still allowed you to bring on two bottles of wine as long as they were not on their wine list. Then she directed on how to find their wine list online so I could test out some of their wines before I cruise. :p Happy to know that I was still allowed to bring two bottles of my favorite red BC wine!

So for those of us who check this message board alot - we can see that nothing on this topic has changed over the past few years

I think you will always have your "conspiracy theorists" who think its all part of a new policy, crackdown due to accident publicity, etc.

Pack it in your luggage - if someobody says something they may ask you not to bring it on or they may let you - or 90% of the time, nobody sees it, nobody says anything and you go on about your day.

Don't sweat the vocal minority on stuff like this - One person out of 500 is not allowed to bring something, then posts a heated thread and gets people all worked up.

Also...you never know what might of provoked the RCI personnel to give them a hard time - maybe they deserved it! lol

ok...enough of my venting....have fun everyone

I'm still going to smuggle ANYTHING I WANT in my checked luggage onto these ships! :D

The worst that can happen is they xray it, see the booze, soda and water, and take it from me till the end of the cruise.... they're not going to deny me passage over it! ;)

I can live with the consequences!

But I highly doubt the above scenario will occur! they're not goign to have the time nor personnel to inspect every piece of checked luggage!

What I can see happening is their liability policy gets revised and basically eliminates their liability in situations relating to alcohol, suicide, etc., and we all have to agree and sign it prior to embarkation.

I agree 100%! They're just covering their a$$ for liability reasons! Just glad that I can still bring on some of my favorite wine for dinner and I'll still bring my water!;)

BTW, NJ2003WVUGrad, I was only quoting RCI not my own beliefs on my previous post! I'm all FOR bringing your own water! :D

I would like to see the wine list ahead of time if some of you can point me to the right direction. I would rather not have to bring the wine with me unless I don't like their selection.

Thanks, Judy

I would like to see the wine list ahead of time if some of you can point me to the right direction. I would rather not have to bring the wine with me unless I don't like their selection.

Thanks, Judy

From what I understand you are not allowed to bring any wine on board that appears on their wine list. If it appears on the list you have to buy from them.

Here is where the wine is found:

www.royalcaribbean.com

choose Before you Board -> Gifts and Gear

In the Gifts and Gear Aboard section click "shop now"

scroll down and choose the "wine cellar" link

Happy drinking....and remember....puking over the side of the ship is never a good idea!

I agree 100%! They're just covering their a$$ for liability reasons! Just glad that I can still bring on some of my favorite wine for dinner and I'll still bring my water!;)

BTW, NJ2003WVUGrad, I was only quoting RCI not my own beliefs on my previous post! I'm all FOR bringing your own water! :D

Gotcha - I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus..lol

Just using your post as a reference point - my comments were't neceassaryily for anyone in this thread - just on this overall topic in general

whitsmom- If you go to www.rccl.com then go to the tab "before you board" then click on "gifts & gear" then on "gifts & gear aboard" click on "shop now", scroll down until you see "Wine Cellar" and click on it and voila you will see the wine list.

I probably wouldn't have found it if the rep hadn't told me where to find it. I just wanted to be able to try out some of the wines that they carry before hand because on the last cruise I spent toooooo much money on crappy wine. :p And I always like to have a good bottle of wine with dinner!

Sandie

Guess I should refresh the page before I post as you've already found the answer! In my defence I was too busy sipping my wine...................it is 5 o'clock somewhere right?! :p

Archived