Galapagos -- Underwater Camera ???

chily3

Next year we are off the Galapagos on the Xpedition, was and wondering if it is worthwhile to have an underwater camera. Currently have cancorder and go digital. If you did use an underwater camera which one worked for you.

Mike & Emily:confused:

Next year we are off the Galapagos on the Xpedition, was and wondering if it is worthwhile to have an underwater camera. Currently have cancorder and go digital. If you did use an underwater camera which one worked for you.

Mike & Emily:confused:

I used a Canon Power Shot for which you can get an underwater housing that works great.Many brought the disposables and were happy,but you don't get the immediate feedback.The sea lions are great targets but fast and hard to capture so taking many digital shots until you get a good one wins out IMO over the disposables.But remember not to get so involved in picture taking that you miss the live show. This is also good advice for you excursions on land.Don't view the Galapagos so much through the lens of a camera that you don't see the panarama with your eyes.

Relax, have a great trip and let the experience come to you.

I used a couple of disposable underwater cameras with mixed results. Sometimes the water was murky, sometimes it was a bit cloudy. But the cameras worked well on sunny days and were good for taking pictures when not under water - like standing in the water watching sea lions, etc. I'd take one just for the possibilities. You might want to check out the older Xpedition threads in the Roll Call section for good information

I've used Kodak and Fuji UW disposables in Carib. Kodak has easier viewfinder than Fuji. Both take UW pics that are a little blue-grey tinted unless full sun and short distance. But, at $8 they work OK but don't expect Nat Geographic visuals. If you buy onboard they'll be at least $20. Good Luck.

I have a Canon Powershot S-45, it's about 3 years old now. I bought the water proof case for it and have used it not only for underwater pictures but also for taking the camera on excursions that where wet, rough or otherwise unsafe for digital cameras.

Take a look through my webshots directory and anything underwater was taken with that camera.....there are a lot of underwater shots on my Hawaiian cruise and my Century cruise, and a few on a couple of the other ones. Enjoy! http://community.webshots.com/user/desertbelle

This is funny. I posted a variation on your question on the Scuba and Snorkeling board yesterday morning:D

To confuse you more, the suggestions I have received over there so far are:

1. one for for the Sealife DSC500 - 5MP
  2. one vote for an Olympus Stylus 600 - 6MP
  3. two votes for the Canon A620 with the underwater housing

If you want to follow that thread for additional information, here is that link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=352567

We just booked the same trip as you, but in December. Should be a fabulous experience.

Hal

Archived