What to do at Naples Port??

I am going to be in Naples and would like to see Amalfi and Pompei.

I don't want to pay for the Cruise Excursion - and was wondering if I could do both of these on my own in 1 day???

If it's not realistic I'll sign up for the Cruise Excursion.

If it is realistic, does anyone have any tips, advise on how to tackle this one??

Thanks

Going on RCCL Oct 21 Voyager of the Seas from Barcelona!!

I am going to be in Naples and would like to see Amalfi and Pompei.

I don't want to pay for the Cruise Excursion - and was wondering if I could do both of these on my own in 1 day???

If it's not realistic I'll sign up for the Cruise Excursion.

If it is realistic, does anyone have any tips, advise on how to tackle this one??

Thanks

Going on RCCL Oct 21 Voyager of the Seas from Barcelona!!

Just read down this board as in this past week there has been a ton of info on just this question...lot's of info to be found in a few different threads.

thanks

although I was looking for more details on whether it would be realistic to do this on my own and if so, any suggestions how.

thanks

: )

You can do Pompeii on your own with no problem.There is info re getting the train,which one,how far from port re station in a post just the other day(I don't have the link).the Amalfi coast you need to really do with a private driver or cruise tour as it is a winding road and there are small towns in which to stop etc. and really not easy to do on your own unless you rent a car as another option.They bot can be done in one day of course it just depends on how much you want to see,port time etc.That is why I mentioned to do a search re other threads on the subject as there are other's opinions and names of private tours etc.Look on page 3 of this board as there are some threads there that I know will help you...here is one to get you started,and I am sure you will get more replies...

Can I go to Pompeii,Sorrento,Capri Via the train all in 1 day without being rushed? - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Yes, you can do it in one day and on your own very easy. We are just back, we spent about an hour in Naples by their market, it was unbelievable. And then we took the circumverusis train to Sorrento, beautiful city. We purchased bus tickets at a Tabac and took the bus to Positano, the road is just breathtaking, it winds along the coast and sheer drop offs. After spending some time in Positano we went on up the coast to Amalfi. From there you can take the train, ferry, or bus back to Naples or Sorrento. The bus tickets are 1.30 each and the train was about 2.40 each. They all run frequently so you should have no problems. It was a great day. Try the lemoncello!

If you decide you want more archeology, do Pompeii, then stop at Herculaneum on the way back and make one last stop in Naples at the Museum of Archeology where most of the best objects that were found at both sites are actually housed. Depending on how long you spend at each of the sites it is doable in one day. But just watch your time so that you make it back to the ship on time.

Have a great next cruise.

loved your do it yourself plan to see sorrento, etc. can you stop off at pompeii as well? how did you get from positano to amalfi? do you speak italian--could you manage without it? thanks

We did Pompeii,Amalfi coast,and then stopped in Sorrento for lunch.We also stopped for some souvenir shopping in Positano.We got a taxi right off the ship who spoke good English and was an excellent tour guide.A tip:check out the ship's shore excursions so you can see what is being offered and plan your own private tour.It was less expensive doing our tours by taxi and very comfortable.Just make sure you find a driver who speaks English

Yes, you can do Pompeii and Amalfi on your own. Would you be booking a private tour guide instead of the ship's tour? Definitely cheaper than going through the ship.

A friend of mine did this and hired an awesome tour guide to pick them up at the dock, dropped them off at Pompeii, got them a guide to take them around Pompeii, then drove them along the Amalfi Coast. They loved it and raved about Francesco Marrapese.

Fran and 2 other couples booked Francesco for the day. They loved him so much that Fran's sister also booked him for 4 days when they went to Italy after Fran's cruise.

Here's his website: http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

If you can find a few other people who would like to share a tour with you, it would be fairly inexpensive doing this. Just post on your "Roll Call" thread.

This is a comment from someone else on the CC boards that also used Francesco.

"NAPLES/AMALFI COAST: We privately hired Francesco Marrapese in Naples and he was great! He is 32 (our age range) and fairly new on his own, although he has driven for other companies in the past. We were with him from 7:30am until 5:30pm. He was very nice and informative, and took us all over! We started at the Herculaneum where he dropped us off and we spent about 1.5 hours, and took about 250 photos. It was not crowded at all, and smaller than Pompeii. One of the guards for the property walked us around to explain and point things out for us for a nominal “tip”. Then we drove the Amalfi Coast. First stop was Sorrento, so beautiful, where we just walked around on our own for about 45 minutes. We did some shopping on the side streets. Then off to Positano where again we walked around on our own for 45 minutes. This area is known for Lemons, some the size of a soccer ball. We walked down to the beach and on the way stopped in a beautiful little church. At this point it was about 2pm and time for lunch. Francesco recommended a place and we invited him to join us. This is where he introduced me to my first taste of Limoncello at La Taverna Del Leone in Positano. Although we bought a bottle at a shop in Positano, I had not tasted any yet. We then drove through the town of Amalfi but did not stop. Then off to Ravello where again we walked around on our own for 45 minutes. All along the drive he pointed things out to us and stopped for photos at certain places. The views are just breathtaking. I’ve never seen anything like it. The cliffs just seem to drop into the beautiful blue water. Each view better than the previous. We did not have a lot of time at each place, but trust me, it was enough. I highly recommend Francesco as a private driver."

You can probably see Pompeii and get a "quick tour" in about 2 hours, then go along the Amalfi Coast.

Good luck.

Mary

Archived