Anyone Currently Aboard QM2? Smoke detector refit?

Crouton

Did they get 2000 smoke detectors installed on QM2 in Southampton as planned?

I'm curious: are they independent battery types or did they somehow manage to link them to the central fire protection system?

Crouton

P.S. In the emergency safety refit historical parallels category...

When the original Queen Mary was launched in 1936, they thought the ship would be so stable that they did not fit handrailings along the sides of the interior corridors of the ship. Well...the first rough weather proved them wrong, and people were losing their balance all over the place and had nothing to grab onto.

Cunard had to (quickly?) install handrails, which were made of 'Bakelite' -- a white colored predecessor of plastic which apparently was fashionable, revolutionary, and one of the lightest weight materials at the time -- and which are still on the QM1 docked in Long Beach (and which do not look fashionable these days IMHO).

I found this photo which shows them fairly well:

hall-thumb.jpg

The Cunard website has broken through to a new level of sophistication with a video interview with Carnival (hmmm...) executive Peter Ratcliffe about the bathroom fire safety issue. You can view it here:

http://w3.cantos.com/04/cunard-406-49r5c/interviews.php?task=view&cnt=nb&med=asx

My favorite quote: "There are clear fire regulations that deal with the shower. It did not meet those standards, so we need to put a sprinkler in there to eliminate that fire risk."

:confused:

Water water all around and not a drop to......

No fuss, no muss, no delay...nothing having to do with the smoke detectors delayed the departure.

The pods malfunctioning did delay the departure an hour and a half, and most of us almost tipped the ship over trying to get a gander at Jane Seymour, the CNN guys doing a travel document and some BBC guys waiting to see if the new detectors would explode.

The Cunard website has broken through to a new level of sophistication with a video interview with Carnival (hmmm...) executive Peter Ratcliffe
Well, Peter Ratcliffe is a Carnival executive, if "Carnival" means the corporate entity, not the cruise line.

Anyhow, I've not watched the interview, but the idea of putting a fire sprinkler inside a shower is rather novel I must admit. I've seen them in bathrooms (on land - I'm thinking hotels here - if not at sea) but certainly not in showers.

Perhaps it would simply be more efficient to rig the shower head so that it turns on full force if a certain temperature is reached in the shower stall ;) ?

Archived