What is the best way to do Orient Beach in St. Marteen

Tatertots4

:D I will be on RCCL Mariner of the Seas on July 23. We are a family of four, I would like to know what the best way to get to Orient Beach is? I checked the RCCL shore excursionsthe, price seems outrageous to me. I would like to go at it on my own. Any thoughts?? Thanks:D

Love public buses in St. Maartin ($1.50!) but we have been told local buses don't go to Orient Beach. We took a cab. Get price before you go. There are cabs to get back to ship there.

My family of 4 took a taxi straight from the dock and were on the beach in 15 minutes. I think it was $4.00 per person. You can do all sorts of activities on the beach, rent chairs, buy drinks, snorkle, parasail, etc. You don't need to sign up for a tour through your ship.

But beware, if you are traveling with children there are nude folks walking all around. Even though we stayed in the middle of the beach and avoided the "Nude Beach" and "Gay Beach", there were still naked people all around us. My boys (8 & 9) weren't fazed, but you might want to warn your kids and tell them how they are expected to behave/react.

Have fun!

We took the taxi from the pier and I think last summer it was $6 per person. It was spectacular. One of the nicest beach days ever! Nudity doesn't bother me but when we were getting ready to return we went up to the little restaraunt with bathroom and shower in the back. There was a guy showering there, nude of course...:eek: It was a little bit of surprise! Enjoy the Mariner. We really enjoyed her and the AOS as well.

WE are renting a jeep for the day ... DH , me , 2 sons....

The taxi fair to Orient would be $24.00 each way = $48.00 TOTAL

The rental for the jeep is $50.00 and we are going to all the beaches on the island and spending alot of time on Orient! For the price ... we think that the Jeep is the way to go!!

:D I will be on RCCL Mariner of the Seas on July 23. We are a family of four, I would like to know what the best way to get to Orient Beach is? I checked the RCCL shore excursionsthe, price seems outrageous to me. I would like to go at it on my own. Any thoughts?? Thanks:D

Take a taxi or rent a car. The bus stops out on the highway and it is a longish, hot walk from the highway to the beach. The taxis drop you off right at the beach and there are always plenty waiting to take you back to the ship. It is VERY easy to do Orient on your own.

there is a taxi stand right at the dock as you get off the ship, there are lines for different beaches to go to with the prices listed. the prices go down as the number of people in the taxi go up, like to orient beach, 2 people will be around $15 per person one way, get 8 people and the price is only

$6 person one way, you dont have to have 8 people in your party, there will be others wanting to go to the beach too, you just get in line and when there is enough people to fill a van, they leave, you wont be there long. the driver asks you when do you want to return, and he will be back to pick you up, or there are other taxi vans all along the beach to take you back...

....Even though we stayed in the middle of the beach and avoided the "Nude Beach" and "Gay Beach", there were still naked people all around us.....

Best I can tell the entire beach is gay. Everyone has a wonderful, fun time when at Orient. :rolleyes:

...... we are going to all the beaches on the island and spending alot of time on Orient!
I'm sorry, I got a real chuckle out of this - all 30+ beaches, AND lots of time on Orient!! We go for three weeks at a time, with a rental car the entire trip, and hit maybe four or five beaches. Oh, we have grand ambitions - just that once settled in on Orient, we just seem to stick there. By far our favorite beach to visit.

My suggestion - don't worry about seeing it all, it can't be done in one day. Just hit a few spots and maximize your fun where ever you land. I'll bet you have a wonderful time.

A word of advice. You can't "avoid" the nude part of Orient because some amount of nudity is allowed on the entire beach. The "nude" section referenced here is most likely Club Orient, at the far right end of the beach facing the water. This is a fully clothing-optional, not nudist or "gay," resort. (Although I'm sure there are gay people there; they don't wear signs or proclaim themselves for pity's sake. And, you know, we all look the same when we're clothed the way God made us--and yes, I believe God made all of us and loves us just as we are.) There will be more fully nude people at that end of the beach.

On the entire beach (and all the beaches on the French side, plus many on the Dutch side), female topless sunbathing is allowed and common. Period. It is the French/European custom and considered perfectly normal. This is the way a fair portion of the world enjoys the beach. Go to Australia and you'll see the same thing; Scandinavia, ditto; and many other countries as well (including, I might add, some beaches in Canada that are fantastic).

There is no "clothed" versus "unclothed" area of the beach. Although full nudity isn't encouraged along the entire beach, it isn't illegal either, and is usually tolerated. It would only be an issue if someone was acting inappropriately...but that should be the same whether a person is clothed or nude; don't harrass or intentionally try to annoy others. That seems simple enough. So, you will almost certainly see topless women and some fully nude people.

abitaturbodog, I think you have it exactly right. If we simply tell our children, "We're going to a different country with different customs; you will likely see people without clothing on the beach; this is perfectly normal there and the way that they enjoy the beach...", the children are more likely to think it's no big deal and just go about enjoying their day. It's when parents or other adults act freaked out or angry or upset by it that children naturally respond in kind.

If anyone finds toplessness/nudity offensive, it's best to avoid the beaches on the French side, as well as Maho/Sunset Beach Bar and Cupecoy on the Dutch side. It's perfectly fine to not want to see nudity/toplessness. However, we are visiting their country, not the other way around. We have no right to expect that another country's customs/culture will be changed because some, not all, Americans (and others) don't care for it. Topless/nude sunbathing is a way to enjoy the beach; nothing more and nothing less.

Okay, I'll step off my (sometimes topless, but only when it's appropriate) soapbox.

kal: I love it! Absolutely correct that using the original definition of "gay" (happy, carefree, etc.), pretty much everyone on Orient Beach is indeed gay. (No offense to anyone who uses the term to describe sexuality, but it really was a word before.) An additonal FYI, Cupecoy on the Dutch side is known for being a draw for gay people (using the more modern definition). I understand that some people might be offended or simply prefer a different environment, so it's better to know in advance then be surprised and unhappy later. (I have to admit that I would feel weird if I were the only topless woman on a beach full of nude men, but we've not been to Cupecoy so I have no idea what the typical population is like.)

Tatertots4: Taxi is the best way, IMO, unless you want to rent a car. The least expensive taxi will be the "van" type taxi, which holds many people, but can have several stops depending on where pax are going. So, you might stop at 2 or 3 places before getting to Orient. That's fine, but for us it is well worth the few $ more p/p to get a small, private taxi and go right to the beach. This is just our preference, but we refuse to waste one minute of our one day worrying about a few extra $. I believe it was $30 each way (including generous tip) for the 4 of us. Just tell the taxi stand guys that you want a private taxi, and they'll call over the next one in line. (I have to tell you that a couple of the taxi stand coordinators kind of pushed us to get into one of the vans, but when my DH asked if we'd go right to Orient, they hemmed and hawed and said no. So, he got out his raised-in-NY personality and simply hailed over the next private taxi in line. I've heard that this kind of "pushing" to get you into the vans is not common, but I thought I'd pass along our experience, just in case.) We asked our driver if she could pick us up later, but she was already booked for that time. She called another driver, who was a friend of hers, and arranged for him to pick us up. He was right on time, very friendly, and even stopped in Philipsburg so my BIL could buy a Cuban cigar.

Besides price, the other reason to go on your own is that you set your own schedule and go where you want. I really don't like to be "herded" like cattle. Once you get to the beach and find an area you like, you will probably want to rent loungers and a couple of umbrellas. We rented 4 padded loungers and 2 large umbrellas for $28 total. That also included one drink (alcohol or soft) p/p. It was well worth it.

Have a great time.

beachchick

When we were there (Via Taxi) think we were at far left side of Orient Beach where the taxi dropped us off. We only saw ONE old man nude with topless old wife walking down the beach. We didn't see any other nude people. Decided this is where they take Americans but who knows, ask your taxi driver, he'll know!

Taxi drivers will usually offer a choice of where customers are to be dropped off at Orient Beach - the "right side (or nude section)" or the "left side (clothed section)". The "right side" would be Pedros which is the best access to the clothing optional section (Club Orient). The "left side" would be Bikini Beach which is actually situated in the general center of the beach.

Bikini Beach is also where cruise ships deposit people who are on a ship sponsored tour. Here, there are MANY beach lounge chairs and umbrellas which are about the highest priced on the beach. Likewise, food is over priced. Aside from the fact that people are herded together and there are lots of children, the vendors all know exactly where the cruisers can be found. On any day when there are at lease a few ships in port, the vendors hit that area like ants at a picnic. You don't see that concentration of vendors elsewhere on the beach.

Towel Sitters: There are places are Orient where there are no beach bars and where space is provided for people who want to sit on a towel. At Bikini Beach you see a higher percentage of people who don't want to pay for a lounge chair but just sit on a towel. FYI, any people sitting on a towel at one of the beach bar sections is viewed as a "cheap poacher" and is not taken kindly by the beach bars.

Taxis are readily available at the pier for $4.00-$6.00 pp.

If you prefer to do some shopping in Phillipsburg first & then go to Orient, Taxis are also available from the town center near the post office. (look for the tall flag post & a red mailbox)

Taxis to Orient beach from Marigot are also readily available, and the view coming in from this direction is BREATHTAKING!!

I wouldn't spend the extra money doing the ships tour. I think this is designed more for someoneone traveling alone or on their very 1st cruise, and really would like to go to Orient, but might be leary of venturing out on their own.

But don't miss Orient Beach. It really IS, as they claim, 1 of the 10 most BEAUTIFUL beaches in the world!!

As mentioned above, might be a good idea to talk to your children beforehand to expect to see naked people on this beach and discuss proper ediquette with them.

Enjoy O'Bay!

Annie

A word of advice. You can't "avoid" the nude part of Orient because some amount of nudity is allowed on the entire beach. The "nude" section referenced here is most likely Club Orient, at the far right end of the beach facing the water. This is a fully clothing-optional, not nudist or "gay," resort. (Although I'm sure there are gay people there; they don't wear signs or proclaim themselves for pity's sake. And, you know, we all look the same when we're clothed the way God made us--and yes, I believe God made all of us and loves us just as we are.) There will be more fully nude people at that end of the beach.

On the entire beach (and all the beaches on the French side, plus many on the Dutch side), female topless sunbathing is allowed and common. Period. It is the French/European custom and considered perfectly normal. This is the way a fair portion of the world enjoys the beach. Go to Australia and you'll see the same thing; Scandinavia, ditto; and many other countries as well (including, I might add, some beaches in Canada that are fantastic).

There is no "clothed" versus "unclothed" area of the beach. Although full nudity isn't encouraged along the entire beach, it isn't illegal either, and is usually tolerated. It would only be an issue if someone was acting inappropriately...but that should be the same whether a person is clothed or nude; don't harrass or intentionally try to annoy others. That seems simple enough. So, you will almost certainly see topless women and some fully nude people.

abitaturbodog, I think you have it exactly right. If we simply tell our children, "We're going to a different country with different customs; you will likely see people without clothing on the beach; this is perfectly normal there and the way that they enjoy the beach...", the children are more likely to think it's no big deal and just go about enjoying their day. It's when parents or other adults act freaked out or angry or upset by it that children naturally respond in kind.

If anyone finds toplessness/nudity offensive, it's best to avoid the beaches on the French side, as well as Maho/Sunset Beach Bar and Cupecoy on the Dutch side. It's perfectly fine to not want to see nudity/toplessness. However, we are visiting their country, not the other way around. We have no right to expect that another country's customs/culture will be changed because some, not all, Americans (and others) don't care for it. Topless/nude sunbathing is a way to enjoy the beach; nothing more and nothing less.

Okay, I'll step off my (sometimes topless, but only when it's appropriate) soapbox.

kal: I love it! Absolutely correct that using the original definition of "gay" (happy, carefree, etc.), pretty much everyone on Orient Beach is indeed gay. (No offense to anyone who uses the term to describe sexuality, but it really was a word before.) An additonal FYI, Cupecoy on the Dutch side is known for being a draw for gay people (using the more modern definition). I understand that some people might be offended or simply prefer a different environment, so it's better to know in advance then be surprised and unhappy later. (I have to admit that I would feel weird if I were the only topless woman on a beach full of nude men, but we've not been to Cupecoy so I have no idea what the typical population is like.)

Tatertots4: Taxi is the best way, IMO, unless you want to rent a car. The least expensive taxi will be the "van" type taxi, which holds many people, but can have several stops depending on where pax are going. So, you might stop at 2 or 3 places before getting to Orient. That's fine, but for us it is well worth the few $ more p/p to get a small, private taxi and go right to the beach. This is just our preference, but we refuse to waste one minute of our one day worrying about a few extra $. I believe it was $30 each way (including generous tip) for the 4 of us. Just tell the taxi stand guys that you want a private taxi, and they'll call over the next one in line. (I have to tell you that a couple of the taxi stand coordinators kind of pushed us to get into one of the vans, but when my DH asked if we'd go right to Orient, they hemmed and hawed and said no. So, he got out his raised-in-NY personality and simply hailed over the next private taxi in line. I've heard that this kind of "pushing" to get you into the vans is not common, but I thought I'd pass along our experience, just in case.) We asked our driver if she could pick us up later, but she was already booked for that time. She called another driver, who was a friend of hers, and arranged for him to pick us up. He was right on time, very friendly, and even stopped in Philipsburg so my BIL could buy a Cuban cigar.

Besides price, the other reason to go on your own is that you set your own schedule and go where you want. I really don't like to be "herded" like cattle. Once you get to the beach and find an area you like, you will probably want to rent loungers and a couple of umbrellas. We rented 4 padded loungers and 2 large umbrellas for $28 total. That also included one drink (alcohol or soft) p/p. It was well worth it.

Have a great time.

beachchick

GREAT POST

your right on the money!

I could not have said it better myself.

I was surprised and interested in your reference to a van taxi at the dispatch area at the cruise pier making other stops before Orient. This is not normal practice. If you get into a taxi at dispatch there which is taking you to Orient Beach, it should not "stop at two or three other places before getting to Orient"; that simply should not happen. Did you see this happen at a very slow time when they were simply trying hard to get a worthwhile load?

1) Awesome post Beachchic! Very well reasoned.

2) Can you rent chairs / umbrellas in the "Club Orient" section? It seemes more like a resort where they cater to the people who stay there, rather than dealing with the "transient" cruise passenger population. Is there beach bar(s) there also? We are considering spending our time at Orient beach there next cruise.

1) Awesome post Beachchic! Very well reasoned.

2) Can you rent chairs / umbrellas in the "Club Orient" section? It seemes more like a resort where they cater to the people who stay there, rather than dealing with the "transient" cruise passenger population. Is there beach bar(s) there also? We are considering spending our time at Orient beach there next cruise.

We have never stayed at Club O. We just walk onto the beach in their area, find empty chairs with umbrella and plop down. The attendant will be over to collect the fee. We have never been there in high season (Dec-Mar) so don't know about availability then.

There is a beach bar on the beach midway between Pedros and Papagayo. Nothing like a bunch of nekkid people wandering up to order booze and/or sodas. We usually try to park ourselves in the vicinity of this bar to make it easy to get liquid refreshments and to locate our chairs after the gently moving sideways tide pushes us down the beach towards Pedros when we are in the water.:D

During 'season', Club Orient oftens fills all of their rental chairs and umbrellas by 10:00 or so.

If chairs are available, you can just take one, and the attendent will be by to collect the fee. Alternatively, you can now (since November 2005) park on the Club Orient property for $20 and receive two chairs and an umbrella, supervised parking, and shower and restroom use included.

The beach bar on property near Pedro's is 'The Perch'. They offer a two-for-one happy hour from 12:30 - 1:30. They will ring their bell to announce, but you will see lots of strollers headed their way just before the bell, to get into line. Clothing optional, but if you plan to sit and stay, bring a towel, as it's the right thing to do.

gary

I was surprised and interested in your reference to a van taxi at the dispatch area at the cruise pier making other stops before Orient. This is not normal practice. If you get into a taxi at dispatch there which is taking you to Orient Beach, it should not "stop at two or three other places before getting to Orient"; that simply should not happen. Did you see this happen at a very slow time when they were simply trying hard to get a worthwhile load?

I can only tell you what it was like the day we were there. There were a fair number of people waiting. The dispatchers were doing two types of taxis: private car taxis that would take you wherever you wanted to go (at a higher price) or "van" taxis (almost like small shuttles and with a lower p/p fare) where they kept adding people until it was full. They were not separating those vans by destination. In one, there were people going to Philipsburg and Little Divi, as well as Orient. It was almost more like a bus in that there were multiple stops. I don't know if that's the normal thing, but that's how it was that day.

K&RCurt: Thank you for the nice compliment. I don't know anything about the Club Orient lounges/umbrellas. Sounds like The Big Booper has the info on that. We only walked along the beach and then stopped at the bar for a snack and drink. Oh, we also went to the little store there and got a great "Club Orient" shot glass for a friend. The people couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming. I think, but am not sure, that the lounges there were not padded. We rented at Pedro's, which does have padded loungers. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

beachchick

It really would be difficult to miss it. Every taxi driver and anyone with a shop along the beach knows exactly where it is.

It's on the 'Club Orient' end of the beach, just past Pedro's, which is one of the major taxi drop off points. Bikini is more towards the center of Orient Beach, but probably isn't more than a 15 minute stroll away.

gary

Archived