Speedboat Rental & Guide in Phuket?

Saga Ruby

Has anyone hired a speedboat and driver to see the many islands around Phuket? I'm interested in the karst formations which form the vertical islands jutting up out of the sea, plus Ko Phi Phi Beach, and the "James Bond" island.

Sea canoes and kayaking are popular in the area for the partially submerged caves along the coasts, but my life is at the point of motoring, not paddling!

If you have any thoughts or input, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruby We were in Phuket 2 years ago and hired a speedboat and driver from a vendor in the main shopping area on beach road. It was just outside the McDonalds and we had a fantastic day for a really reasonable price. I am not sure uf this will be rebuilt after the storm but it is a great day out. If you do hire a boat make sure it has shade or you could get sunburnt on the water. Hope this is of some help Nicole

Yes, this is wonderful information! I'm so happy to hear from someone who understands what I'm trying to accomplish.

So you did a walk-up to the vendor, bought the charter, and off you went? I had heard that major hotels (whatever is functional at this time after the tsumani) can arrange charters. From what you say, it is possible to arrange same day.

Since I have a limited amount of shore time (I'm in port for one day only), do you think I can pull off the island sightseeing when I walk off the ship or should I make arrangements ahead of time? I'm trying to avoid the "tourist traffic jam" at Phang Nga Beach by doing an independent jaunt.

I understand about a boat with shade - I thought of that one already and, for this poor tired skin, I gotta have a shade. My dermatologist will appreciate it!

I'm so excited to hear from someone who has "been there, done that." Any other thoughts you may have about the hours you spent on the speedboat and the level of English available, I'd love to hear. My personal thought is that anything we tourists can do to pump up the economy of the tsumani-ravaged areas is good for everyone.

Ruby

Hi Ruby We actually stayed in Phuket for a week but arranged our speedboat trip and went on the same day The level of english is no problem as we definately do not speak thai. You will find the people very obliging and if you want to go for just a few hours I don't see you having a problem. We had a great day out, and like yourself, do not wish to paddle a khiak. (if I am on holidays the most vigorous thing I do is drink cocktails) Hope this helps Regards Nicole;)

Your information is brilliant! In Hawaii, I know you can walk up to a booth and get onboard a yacht charter within an hour. You have relieved my mind about pulling off this very important boat charter while I am in the area.

I had to laugh - you're right, nobody speaks Thai. I was in Bangkok some years ago and learned to say "hello" and "thank you" but that language is truly unique.

I gather you were in Phuket before the tsunami? I'm trying to "divine" what shape the tourism industry is in after that terrible catastrophe. May I ask what hotel or accommodation you used in Phuket? Do you know if the place still exists?

I do believe that, based on your kind information, I'll be able to pull off my day charter. As you say, sea canoes or kayaks are way too strenuous for this gal. Not to mention I would look like a boiled lobster afterward!

I'm very happy and appreciative for your input.

Ruby

Hi Ruby I hope my information has helped. We were in Phuket before the tsunami and stayed at one of the hotels right on the beach (I can't remember the name, but it will come to me). We are actually sailing on Superstar Virgo in September with 12 hours in Phuket (not nearly long enough:rolleyes: ) so I am looking forward to seeing what it looks like now. As the people are so lovely I think they will be obliging no matter what you want to do. Take care Regards Nicole:p

Just wanted to wish you fair winds and following seas - an old mariner's prayer. I too will be in Phuket for only 12 hours but, thanks to your kind input, I've decided to get a boat chartered when I arrive, and enjoy my day ashore.

Most of the passengers on my ship, the Oceania Nautica, will jump off for their shore excursions early in the morning. My plan is to take my time, maybe have lunch in town after purchasing a charter ticket, then bash around Phang Nga and the other islands that afternoon.

Your information has given me the ability to make a plan and not worry so much about getting signed up months ahead of time. It sounds like a lovely cruise you have coming up. If you have any further thoughts about Phuket when you get back, I would enjoy hearing them. I don't leave for Istanbul until the end of November.

Happy sails,

Ruby

Hi Ruby This is great that you leave after we get back. We will have a scout around for you while we are there if you like and hopefully get more information. We stayed at the holiday inn in phuket, but did all the islands you are talking about - they were beautiful. We also went out to coral island and the snorkelling was unbelievable (don't know if you are into snorkelling) but either way we had a great time. Talk soon Nicole;)

• 3 months later...
Hi Ruby This is great that you leave after we get back. We will have a scout around for you while we are there if you like and hopefully get more information. We stayed at the holiday inn in phuket, but did all the islands you are talking about - they were beautiful. We also went out to coral island and the snorkelling was unbelievable (don't know if you are into snorkelling) but either way we had a great time. Talk soon Nicole;)

I hope your cruise and visit to Thailand was good. I was reviewing our chat about how to rent a shaded motorboat to cruise all the beautiful islands off Phuket Town. I will be in Phuket in early December and am very excited about seeing all the wonderful geography in that area. Were you surprised at the level of recovery in the Phuket area after the tsumani or is it still a rebuilding situation?

If you have any thoughts about the best method for renting a boat and guide for the day, I would really enjoy hearing them. I can catch a cab to a major hotel and use the concierge service for a boat rental, or I can walk around the beach area and find a suitable boat for hire. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ruby

Reading through this thread and thought I'd pipe in... we were there this past Feb..... you wouldn't even know there had been a tsunami there... it looked rebuilt along the beach fronts and businesses were back doing their old thing, just in newer digs. I'm sure there are spots that still need work and we saw a few, but it's amazing what they have done in so short of time period... at least in Phuket.

Reading through this thread and thought I'd pipe in... we were there this past Feb..... you wouldn't even know there had been a tsunami there... it looked rebuilt along the beach fronts and businesses were back doing their old thing, just in newer digs. I'm sure there are spots that still need work and we saw a few, but it's amazing what they have done in so short of time period... at least in Phuket.

Thanks, Tropic. The area around Phuket sounds like Kauai before and after Hurricane Iniki. After Iniki, and after a year of rebuilding, you couldn't tell the hurricane had leveled the island other than every single edifice was a newbuild. It's good to hear that the Thais are back in business. I'll be sure to make my own personal contributions to the tourist economy!

Happy sails,

Ruby

Archived