snorkeling in Ketchikan

alaswhales

Has anyone ever snorkeled in Ketchikan at the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure? Looking to know how it was (is). I am booked for June 5th and the air temp is only going to be 54 and showers. I am assuming that the wetsuits are going to keep us kinda warm???? Never snorkeled in cold weather.

I don't think even wet suits will keep you warm in that weather. If the daytime temps are in the 50's, night temps must be in the 30-40's. that makes water temp somewhere in between unless the water is hot springs (is it?).

You could survive a short while in a wet suit. Remember a wet suit allows surrounding water to seep into the suit and creat a barrier between you and the outside water, but your body has to warm the water in the suit up to 98.6 (body temp.) and that's hard to do when it starts out at 40 or so.

Maybe that's why they are calling this excursion and Adventure??:D

Happy bubbles.

My first reaction when I saw this posting was "this has got to be a joke, who would go snorkeling in Alaska?!?!"...but I Google'd "Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure" and sure enough, it's for real!

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=KTN&excursionname=Mountain+Point+Snorkeling+Adventure&excursioncode=170012

I'd be very surprised if the water temps up there ever get much above the mid 50s; a 7mm wetsuit w/hood, gloves, & boots might keep you warm for a little while, but there's a reason it's called a wetsuit...that cold water will find its way inside sooner or later! :eek:

Actually, I've read several positive reviews on CC about snorkeling in Alaska, usually from Princess cruisers. Two of my dive buddies have been diving in AK and had positive experiences as well, and I'd really like to try it myself. If the diving there is anything like it is in British Columbia, it is worth the effort.

UW photos from Quadra, BC

Actually, I've read several positive reviews on CC about snorkeling in Alaska, usually from Princess cruisers. Two of my dive buddies have been diving in AK and had positive experiences as well, and I'd really like to try it myself. If the diving there is anything like it is in British Columbia, it is worth the effort.

UW photos from Quadra, BC

I suppose that we are a bit too spoiled down here in FL; personally I'd love to do a cold-water dive up in BC some day but would definitely need a dry suit! My lovely wife & dive buddy laughed at me when I told her about this posting...but she's definitely the tropical type & if we ever make it up to Ketchikan or BC, I'd definitely be diving or snorkeling sans spouse!

We snorkeled in Ketchikan on a Princess excursion in August, 2003, and had a blast!!! It happened to be a sunny day, and we actually welcomed the cool water flowing into the wetsuit. We snorkeled in a kelp forest. Saw huge starfish, fish and sea cucumbers. Not colorful like the Caribbean, but exciting nonetheless. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Yes, the wetsuit will keep you warm. When you first get in the water, there is a slight rush of cold water that fills the little nooks under your wetsuit. That water will stay there, but it will quickly warm up to your body temperature in a few seconds.

If it was very uncomfortable, then nobody would do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just decided to check this and since I was the one who started this thread, let me just tell you that this was one of the coolest things I have done. I love to watch peoples faces when they hear me say that I snorkeled in Alaska!!!! The wet suit was enough. The water temp was the same as the air temp on June 5th, 54 degrees (F).......When the first water got into the boots, it was a bit cold, but I was VERY surprised at how quickly the water warmed up. We were in the water a good hour to an hour and a half, and when we got out I couldn't wait to get the hood off, I was actually a little too warm. And trust me, I am a wus in the cold weather now as I get older. I live in Michigan and should be used to it!!! I hardly even snowmobile anymore. As someone posted above, we were in kelp and it was so beautiful. We saw a giant sunflower starfish, LOTS of different color starfish, fish, Sea urchins, sea cucumbers .......All of which we got to hold except the sunflower. (and the fish, of course LOL) LOTS AND LOTS of jellyfish......thankfully no-one got stung.. I left my epipen at the shop where we changed. They were cool though, and I got some pics of them.. I ran out of film when I saw a giant one!!! It must have been about 12 inches tall with VERY long tenticles or whatever they are called. I was pretty close to it too. I probably would have panicked had I thought about the fact it could have reached me. Such a small part of your face is exposed, as long as you protect that part, you are safe!!! With it being a cloudy day, the pictures underwater didn't turn out the greatest, but it was a great experience. I would also do this tour again in a heartbeat..........the remark that made me go through with this after thinking twice (since it was raining at port and cold) was a guy who said that in all the times he snorkeled in different areas of the world (as I have) everyone is "yeah, yeah" until you say you snorkeled in Alaska and everyone stops and listens, because they don't know that you can do this. It is so true and awesome to see the reactions. When we got to the site, it wasn't raining at all. All in all, a great day! I will try to post the pictures if anyone is interested.:D

I hope this works, please forgive me if I can't figure this out. This should take you to the album the snorkeling pictures are in. Crossing my fingers!!

Your link worked for me. It looks like you had a good time. Jelly fish are hard to photograph. It is difficult to get them in focus unless you have something next to them, like this:

jelly-camera.jpg

I was in British Columbia diving with some friends. I believe that what we saw are moon jellyfish.

WOW!! What a shot. Sure makes mine look even worse now! I wish it would have been a clearer day to get better shots. I used to have a much better camera, but nothing like that!!!!!!!! Oh well, like you said, I had a lot of fun, and all the memories are in my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Shot of the Moon Jelly.

We just returned from Alaska, and were in Ketchikan July 7. I had initially signed up for the snorkelling excursion, but decided to scuba at Mountain Point instead.

Cruising with dive gear is a real pain. Next time, I will likely bring only me regulators, and rent/borrow the rest when there.

I would highly recommend the experience (snorkel or scuba) to anyone. I was amazed not only by the amount of marine life, but also by the size. (The Sunflower stars and Ochre stars were huge!). The fish were also very docile. They did not seem to be at all wary of divers, even close up.

While diving, we saw pretty much everything that the snorkellers saw, but also a close up view of a wolfeel, and some time with an octopus.

The snorkellers probably did not realize that there are some small sharks down there as well. We saw a couple of spiny dogfish sharks. Not to worry- they are harmless, but always fun to see.

On the first dive, I had some camer troubles, and I didn't manage to get a picture of the wolfeel. Here are some pictures from the second dive, including the octopus and a couple of others ( a China Rockfish and a Rose Star).

octopuscopy.jpg

chinarockfishcopy.jpg

F1000016copy.jpg

Archived