children and motion sickness meds

trex-de

We will be on the Spirit in two weeks. Our 4 y/o daughter and 7 y/o son will be joining us.

What is the recommendation for sea-sickness meds for kids? Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks

I would ask your peditrician. It is a good idea to have them start meds ( on your doc's advice)before the cruise in case they are sensitive. You must prevent sea sickness before it starts. If they seem ok aftr a few days then you could probably stop the meds. But again ask your doc. Have a great cruise :)

Before going for the meds, try a natural remedy like green apples (readily available onboard ship) or anything containing ginger. Apples worked very well for my son last year.

And, as the previous poster mentioned, please discuss with your kids' pediatrician regarding side effects, etc.

We have also used sea-bands or Gravol Natural (which are just ginger capsules) and taken children's gravol with us but never needed to use it ( of course, check with pediatrician re: any med usage)

I have cruised with our 2 four year olds and they have never had a problem. I talked to their doctor and he suggested Benadryl if they got sick. I have also read that younger children do not get sea sick because the inner ear is not fully developed.

When we travelled with our 2 kids (3 and 5), the doctor suggested bringing chewable bonine. Half a tablet per child. We ended up needing it for one child on one day 9together with some ginger ale). As suggetsed above, ask your kids' doctor.

We asked the pediatrician before leaving about dosage.

We were having breakfast on the Lido in Barbados. We had a snorkeling trip booked. I took one look at the water and decided DS would take half a bonine after he ate. Also, put the sea bands on him. He was fine, when many others on the trip were really, really sick. Of course, did other common sense things like kept him out of the cabin in the fresh air, etc.

Coming back from Canada last August, it was getting rocky one night. Called the purser who informed me they'd just heard from the Captain that rough waters were ahead. I gave DS 1/2 bonine before bed, and he was fine again.

I'm not sure about the efficacy of the sea bands, but with a child I think sometimes the power of suggestion works wonders. If you put them on your child with an air of authority that they will work, you may find they actually do! (I'm not sure 'd rely on them to the exclusion of other methods, though! LOL)

As someone else said previously, prevention really is the ticket. Once you start to feel nauseous, not much is really going to turn the tide. Best you'll do is feeling slightly better rather than slightly worse.

Hope you have no problems...Enjoy your cruise!

Archived