Wear a 2-pc bathing suit - Size 14

MokieWoman

This may seem like a strange question, but I haven't been to a beach in years. I'm a size 14 and wonder if only the size 8 and below wear 2 pc. bathing suits on a beach like CocoCay? Or is it pretty much anything goes?

I absolutely always wear a 2 piece bathing suit, especially on the beach. There are some really cute ones. I'm not only a size 16 but I have load of scars and an ileostomy. I chose a high waisted bottom to cover my bag and a bikini top. My theory in life is that my scars show that I'm a survivor so I don't mind if people see them at all. If they don't like what they see they can move on down the beach.:D BTW, if you ever want to really feel comfortable with yourself flaws and all go somewhere where there's a topless beach and spend an afternoon. I promise you won't be the biggest/oldest/saggiest/most scarred.... on the beach and NO ONE CARES! It's a very liberating experience once you get past the first 5 minutes. :D

Tami

I'll go you one further--a few years ago (I was still over fifty) we went to Mexico to a little spa and the beach was topless. I was an ample size 12, but when I saw women of all sizes topless I figured that I didn't want to be the only uptight American on the beach. I slathered my bright white headlights with tons of sunblock and found new freedom. You know--nobody cared and it felt great.

People really aren't going to be looking at you on the beach, and if they do--remember--you'll never see them again after the cruise!!!

Funny story Mountain!

Watching all the cruise commercials and brouchures you would think that ships are filled with size two women, but that really is not the case, is it? As long as you are comfortable in a two-piece suit then you should wear it... You certainly wont be alone.

I have my 2-piece ready and waiting for our cruise. But just in case, I also have a new tankini that is coming along, just in case!

I agree with the others who said that it all depends on what you'll feel comforatble in. I think tankinis are great for looking a little sexy but hiding my poochy tummy as well! I've never felt comfortable in a bikini myself, even at a size 8, but now that I've lost a little more weight, I'm going shopping for my first bikini tomorrow! But knowing me, I'll probably end up deciding to play it safe and go with another tankini! :rolleyes: But if you want to wear a bikini, then go for it!

I just think it's great that they make options in all sorts of sizes now. There are some really cute tankinis out there but they tend not to work for me. They cut the bottoms to low. With an ostomy I need the bottom to hit my belly button, even if I get back down into single digit sizes. I did find a cute one though at Walmart that has a skirt for the bottom and a tie on top. It's not really a tankini per se but the top has a panel in the front that covers the belly but the back is open. I've gotten tons of compliments on it. I havent' test driven my other new ones yet. I have 2-3 suits because we have a pool. I can't stand to put on a wet suit if we get in the pool twice in one day. Just one of my wierdnesses.:rolleyes:

Tami

I found the perfect bikini for me! I guess it's not a true bikini, becuase it has a skirted bottom, but the skirt is really short and cute--just barely long enough to cover my dimply upper thighs--which I remain cursed with despite my weight loss! :mad:

But it has a tie on bikini top, and I love it! :) It's the first time I've ever shown my stomach! But now that I've lost some weight, I'm not so self-conscious about my stomach anymore...just those darn rear upper thighs!

Mokie - I hope you find the perfect bikini/tankini/whatever that works for you too!

• 4 weeks later...
There are some really cute tankinis out there but they tend not to work for me. They cut the bottoms to low.
You're not alone! Tankinis look great on other people, but the "open spot" tends to hit me at my very worst spot -- no thanks!

Keep looking! I managed to find 3 very cute 2 piece suits that worked for me this year. Two of them were from Newport News catalog and had higher bottoms and sports bra style tops. The other was from Walmart, of all places. It was in their separates. The bottom was a black skirt with aqua and white trim and the top was black with the same trim. It ties like a regular Bikini top but the front has a panel that flutters down over the belly but leaves the back open. It's really cute and I've gotten loads of compliments on it. It was cheap too. I'm in the pool almost every day so I hate to spend alot on suits that will be rotten by the end of the summer.

Tami

Archived