Medical Question

DMD3302

From the CCL website:

Refrigerators are available in some staterooms for insulin storage. Ships that are equipped with refrigerators in the stateroom are the Spirit, Pride, Conquest, Legend, Valor, Liberty, Glory and the Miracle. Alternatively, insulin can be stored with room service or at the Pursers desk; both are available 24 hours a day. Sugar free substitute desserts are available onboard.

[updated info, if there is any, is available by calling CCL]

Inform your TA or PVP prior to the cruise and you will have a fridge in the stateroom, they may ask for a letter from the doctor. My mother just gets a script from her PCP with a note stating she will need to have her insulin kept refridgerated. Laura

My mom need to have her diabetic medication refrigerated and they told me to tell the TA and then inform the steward where it needed to be kept and they will do so for you. When it is time to retrieve it they wll bring it to your cabin. They also have sharps containers for your use if you need this service. Just ask your steward and they will put one in your room.

We are saling on the Victory June13th. My husband called Carnival for a fridge for our inside cabin for my insulin. They will try to have one. If not, a small cooler will be provided and ice. I had the cooler on NCL Spirit in April for my insulin and it worked out fine. Past Victory cruises the last 2 summers, I just kept it cold in the ice bucket. Brought small zip loc baggies. I doubled bagged them wiith insulin inside them. They worked out fine too.NCL also said the medical ctr would keep iinsulin in their fridge. And I could get it whenever I wanted to. Maybe you could do that too.

I am diabetic as well. They will either provide you with a refridgerator or room service will take it and bring it as you need it or you can keep it in the ice bucket in a ziplock. The other option, which I would ask the doctor or the pharmicist about is that most insulin can be kept at room temp for up to a period of 30 days. But it depends on the type of insulin you are on so I would ask. Good luck and have a great cruise....either way you will need to tell you TA or PVP.

I was just curious if those of you taking insulin have checked with your physicians or pharmacists lately about the need to refigerate your insulin. I am a critical care nurse in a major medical/trauma center and deal with patients that have insulin pumps and people who are in insulin shock frequently and our hospital no longer refigerates insulin and our internal medicine docotrs and endocrinologists agree this is a very old practice that is no longer necessary. I wouldn't want any of you to go against the medical advice you are told, but you may want to ask your physician if refigeration is still necessary in your case.

I am so glad a nurse answered! I don't refrigerate my insulin for my pump (I don't let it bake in the sun either) I was told the air conditioned room is more than sufficient. Plus with the pump I have a supply that is sitting next to my body (body heat) as I sit out on the hot deck (air temp) so what I am using isn't chilled anyway.

But ask you endo to make sure.

Another pump user that doesn't refrigerate on vacation. On my last cruise we had a fridge in the cabin and I still left my insulin (Novolog) out the whole week. No harm, no foul. I also cruised without any sort of doctor's note with no problem, just took the boxes that had the prescription labels on them.

Just think, several days worth of insulin stays on your body inside the pump at a time, and that's always okay even in warm weather. I personally think my insulin is safer in my cabin than being passed around between several people.

Archived