STAR any tips/hints/avoids?

offwego

Hikini -- I hope you have a fantastic cruise and will also be looking forward to any of your posts when you return. From all the good reviews that have been coming back from the Star recently, I'm sure you'll have a spectacular cruise.

BTW -- Do you have any favourite downtown restaurants for seafood (or other ;) ) you'd recommend near the Seattle Sheraton?

Dave -- who still has a while longer to countdown ...

Thanks for your good wishes Dave. I can't wait!

I know you asked for a recommendation of a good seafood restaurant near the Seattle Sheraton, but the one I really want to recommend isn't that close. A taxi would be happy to take you to the waterfront though. I recommend The Fishermans, which is right on the waterfront - actually very close to the pier where the STAR is docked when in Seattle. The address is 1301 Alaskan Way - it's on Pier 57.

They have these platters for 2 with a variety of seafoods - excellent! My favorite appetizer there is a warm artichoke dip; yummy!!!

There are a LOT of good seafood restaurants, or a lot of good restaurants, period, in Seattle. I'm sure others can give you some great ideas as well.

Another of our favorite restaurants which is known more for its steaks, but also has seafood is the Union Square Grill. Pricey indeed, but worth it for a great meal!

Enjoy our city - have fun!

Hikini:D

If you like clam chowder, IVARS Acres of Clams is good. A place we didn't get to visit but heard great things about was Elliotts. A couple on our cruise and our underground tour guide Rick both recommended this spot. Both of these restaurants are on the waterfront.

Half a block North from Pikes Market on Western Ave we had delicious "rub with love" Salmon at Ettas. It was about $27.00 for the Salmon, but well worth the price. We loved the Salmon so much we bought the rub and cooked us up some Salmon last night...delicious.

Here are some answers to questions I know some people had before about the Star:

Yes, they have hot chocolate, they are packets at the buffet and at the Blue Lagoon. They do not take them away on Glacier Bay day so you can still have hot chocolate on that day. You only get charged if you get the hot chocolate out on deck from the bar service cart.

Yes, they have Splenda

One important thing you might need to know when booking your own shore excursions: When it says the ship docks at 2pm or some other time it is usually about another hour before you can disembark.

I read something about "ship time" as opposed to real time meaning the ship doesn't change over to the time zone used where we stop. Is this true for the Star on it's Mexican Riveria run?

We are making plans on our own and would hate to be an hour off!

Samantha

I read something about "ship time" as opposed to real time meaning the ship doesn't change over to the time zone used where we stop. Is this true for the Star on it's Mexican Riveria run?

We are making plans on our own and would hate to be an hour off!

Samantha

When I was on the Star in Oct 2005 it did the same thing the Carnival Pride did in May 2004. You move your clocks/watches ahead one hour the first full day. You move your clocks/watches back one hour the last full day. You do not make any other time changes. Thus, for Cabo ship time and local time are the same. However, for the first two ports local time is one hour ahead of ship time. For PV I believe part of the city will match ship time and part of the city is one hour ahead.

This thread is great! We are considering a cruise on the Star later this year and this thread definetly makes me want to take it on the Star.;) One question I have for those who have been. Do they have good cheesecake and are chocolate desserts milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

This thread is great! We are considering a cruise on the Star later this year and this thread definetly makes me want to take it on the Star. One question I have for those who have been. Do they have good cheesecake and are chocolate desserts milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

I did not try the cheesecake. As to the chocolate some is dark ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99513&g2_serialNumber=1

Some is light (milk chocolate) ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99562&g2_serialNumber=1

Some is white ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99560&g2_serialNumber=1

Some is mixed ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99566&g2_serialNumber=1

And some is bearly edible ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99558&g2_serialNumber=1

Actually, they have it all. I like milk chocolate but don't care for dark chocolate that much, and as I recall, I managed to find what I liked.

Archived