Beware cabin 11100 on the Dawn - It talks and not nicely

jonsurg

Just wanted to let all you future cruises know that room 11100 has a defect in its structure that leads to squeaking all night long. On our first night we heard an annoying squeak that was non stop. It was so loud that we could not sleep. It was like a squeaky door swinging open and shut all night. When we could not take it any longer we called maintenance. After a 55 minute wait they arrived and told us that there was nothing they could do as "ships make noises" and the ship was full and that we could not move but that he would send ear plugs. I told him that I had been on many many cruises and this was the first time I had ever heard this noise. He told us he would send earplugs (great solution - NOT). An hour later they arrived and we got some sleep. By the next morning my mood over the way we had found our cabin (see my review) had softened and I decided I was not going to fight this one as the ear plugs had worked (although we were not happy sleeping with ear plugs as we would not hear our kids if they called us). If possible if you are booked on 11100 try and get reassigned. The squeaking was worse on the nights between NJ and Bermuda and then Bahamas and NJ when the boat was at full speed. It was not as bad when we were coasting and was absent when stationary

Just wanted to let all you future cruises know that room 11100 has a defect in its structure that leads to squeaking all night long. On our first night we heard an annoying squeak that was non stop. It was so loud that we could not sleep. It was like a squeaky door swinging open and shut all night. When we could not take it any longer we called maintenance. After a 55 minute wait they arrived and told us that there was nothing they could do as "ships make noises" and the ship was full and that we could not move but that he would send ear plugs. I told him that I had been on many many cruises and this was the first time I had ever heard this noise. He told us he would send earplugs (great solution - NOT). An hour later they arrived and we got some sleep. By the next morning my mood over the way we had found our cabin (see my review) had softened and I decided I was not going to fight this one as the ear plugs had worked (although we were not happy sleeping with ear plugs as we would not hear our kids if they called us). If possible if you are booked on 11100 try and get reassigned. The squeaking was worse on the nights between NJ and Bermuda and then Bahamas and NJ when the boat was at full speed. It was not as bad when we were coasting and was absent when stationary

Hmmm..were you Fwd., Mid., or Aft.?

I don't like the idea of ear plugs either:(

Modular cabins will sometimes rub against the hull.

We had similar noise issues with a cabin on Maasdam (I don't recall #), and after one sleepless night were able to change cabins to one with absolutely no noise issues.

Thx for the useful info for anyone booking the Dawn. It is great to know whcih cabins have disadvantages.

We also heard squeaking from room 10648 on the POAM, mostly at night since that`s when we traveled the most. The first night it kept us awake, but after that, we were so tired, we slept anyway. We did ask our cabin stewart, and he said a lot of them squeaked. It sounded like two surfaces rubbing together.

WE ere on the Dawn in March. The Slider started to make a creaking noise. At first it wasn't so bad but when the seas got rough so did the squeak. We called maintenance and they said it was to late at night to fix they had to take down the ceiling, they would do it first thing the next morning. They fixed it when we went to breakfast. But that was a long nite.

On two separate cruises (different cabins- deck 9) we had midship BB balcony cabins on the Dawn, that sqeaked when the seas were rough. It sounded like it was coming from the ceiling. Being a light sleeper, it kept me awake so I went to the shop on board the next day and bought earplugs. But I agree, it's not a good solution while traveling with children.

Now, I pack earplugs (with spares) in my make-up kit and find I use them quite often now on vacation... traffic in a busy city, a room above with people walking or children running, snoring or coughing or a TV in the next room, etc...

Just got off the Dawn and had an inside cabin (deck 10) that was quiet but we had very smooth seas.

About 7 years ago I had a real squeaker on the Celebrity Mercury. I have o say even louder than some cabins I've had on the QE2.

A Philips head screwdriver to the screws in the ceiling panels... worked wonders:-)

Wood.... I don't mind squeaking.. but metal.... goes right through my teeth!

DH and I will be on the Dawn in August and will only be about six cabins toward midship from where you were. Do you think the noise was just your cabin, or was it up and down that side of the ship?

DH is big time snorer, is very hard of hearing and a sound sleeper so he won't hear anything. And, I always travel with ear plugs to block out his snoring,

I can't remember which ship it was but we had one room that had a slight creaking noise at night and I loved it! A gentle creaking sound vs. a loud squeak may be 2 different things though.:)

In February/March we were in 11510 - same cabin, just Port side instead of Starboard. We also had noise on our trip north, but having read numerous reports of creaking sounds on the various ships, we were not concerned and quickly went back to sleep. For anyone who is a light sleeper, I would definately recommend earplugs for nights when the seas are rough. ;)

DH and I will be on the Dawn in August and will only be about six cabins toward midship from where you were. Do you think the noise was just your cabin, or was it up and down that side of the ship?

DH is big time snorer, is very hard of hearing and a sound sleeper so he won't hear anything. And, I always travel with ear plugs to block out his snoring,

Its hard to know but I would think it was just our cabin as when I was in the bathroom with door closed I could not hear the noise

We were in 11686 right next to the spa and one night they must have left a cabinet door ajar, as it banged all night long and I was on the opposite wall of that banging! Arrrrrgh. I didn't complain - who would believe me? It never happened again.

Very annoying.

Archived