"Upgrade" at the pier ?

We are booked in stateroom 1039 on the Conquest sailing out of Galveston on December 10, 2006. My understanding is that this is a "soft" week of travel. When booking I did choose my actual stateroom which I know knocks out any potential upgrades. But here is my question...I thought I read on here that sometimes people are "upgraded" at the pier by being offered a better stateroom (in my case a 9A or better) for a very minumal additonal charge. Is the right? If so, and it happened to me I would not know what to do since I did alot of research in determining location of our stateroom, etc but then again I would not want to miss out on a good deal KWIM? Thanks in advance!!!!

You could, in theory, be upgraded if you booked a gtee. cabin. That would solely be a decision by Carnival. You wouldn't involved in any way. And the odds of them needing a specific cabin, giving you an upgrade "out of category" [inside to outside, for example] are rather remote after assignments are made. What you're talking about has happened in the past. But, very rarely [if at all] on "mass market" cruise lines like CCL, RCI, others

I don't think passengers are offered upgrades at embarkation. It is way too busy of a time to be switching rooms.

Carnival has been known to call passengers in the weeks ahead of the cruise and offer upgrades. But not at the pier.

The "No Upgrades Available" sign is usually posted at the Purser's Office.

On the rare occasion that something *might* be available, the upgrade would be at published rates, no "specials."

I have never been on a Carnival cruise that didn't have the Sold Out sign posted. But, I was able to upgrade at the pier when I sailed on RCCL's Voyager of the Seas a few years ago. That's the only line I've ever heard of allowing pier upgrades at a reduced rate and I'm not sure if they still do it.

Every ship I have been on has said "no upgrades available, full ship"... however, I can just about guarantee that if they DID have upgrades available, you would definitely pay for them... too many others would be willing to pay for them, so they wouldn't be giving them away for a great deal ;)

Archived