Onboard Drinking

nickervin

I'm 20, and will be a few weeks shy of being 21 when I go on the Miracle next week.

I know the drinking age is 21 on Carnival, but realistically I don't see the rules being so strict once on board. The staff is there for everyone to have a good time and make your stay awesome, I just can't see them being too strict on this. A friend of mine says he was able to buy drinks, but he bought with his dad's S&S card...not his...

Any other experiences like this? Or anything you've noticed?

Just curious, thanks!

I'm 20, and will be a few weeks shy of being 21 when I go on the Miracle next week.

I know the drinking age is 21 on Carnival, but realistically I don't see the rules being so strict once on board. The staff is there for everyone to have a good time and make your stay awesome, I just can't see them being too strict on this. A friend of mine says he was able to buy any drinks with his S&S card with no problem, and he's my age.

Any other experiences like this? Or anything you've noticed?

Just curious, thanks!

You imagine wrong :p LOL... your S&S card will have your age in the system, so you can order, you just can't pay, LOL. and if you can't pay... well, you know. Yes, they are strict, and no you cannot purchase alcohol on the ship. If you go about it another way, more power to you... but you will not be able to be served using your card

I just got off of the Valor, we had my nephew and his friend with us and they are under 21. They are 18. They could not buy drinks with their s&s cards, so we had to purchase it for them. They brought alcohol with them in their luggage(rum) and then used the fruit punch on the boat to mix it with. It worked out ok.We bought them several rounds of beer thru out the week, they don't drink that much so this was alright by them.Good luck and don't fret the booze problem, I'm sure you will work it out.

If you are planning to bring drinks onboard the ship, be sure to do it when you first board the ship and place it in your luggage. They cannot legally open your luggage without you being present, so even if it shows up in the x-rays they can't take it. If you plan to being stuff onboard later in the cruise from one of the ports you will have more trouble, as the security will take and alcohol and water bottles you may bring back with you. They might nott get every bottle but they will take most.

:D

If you are planning to bring drinks onboard the ship, be sure to do it when you first board the ship and place it in your luggage. They cannot legally open your luggage without you being present, so even if it shows up in the x-rays they can't take it. If you plan to being stuff onboard later in the cruise from one of the ports you will have more trouble, as the security will take and alcohol and water bottles you may bring back with you. They might nott get every bottle but they will take most.

Have you had any experience or heard anything about buying the alcohol in the duty free shop before you board and putting it in your carry on? For the most part I've heard its a do-able option.

Have you had any experience or heard anything about buying the alcohol in the duty free shop before you board and putting it in your carry on? For the most part I've heard its a do-able option.

They do look closely at your carry on, and this could be a problem if you're under 21.

Develop a taste for wine, guests 21 and over and bring a bottle (or two) of "fine wine" in their carry on baggage. Last time, we brought on four bottles, dropped our stuff off in the room, then went back to the pier for a few more.

Why is it illegal for them to open your suitcase but not airlines? I've never heard this before.

Why is it illegal for them to open your suitcase but not airlines? I've never heard this before.

Me either. I have read instances that security has left a note inside someone's luggage that it had been searched. Nothing was confiscated however, and I have also read posts that people (Crusing NCL)have had alcohol taken from a checked bag and a note left in their bag that their booty would be returned at the conclusion of the cruise.

I just got off of the Valor, we had my nephew and his friend with us and they are under 21. They are 18. They could not buy drinks with their s&s cards, so we had to purchase it for them. They brought alcohol with them in their luggage(rum) and then used the fruit punch on the boat to mix it with. It worked out ok.We bought them several rounds of beer thru out the week, they don't drink that much so this was alright by them.Good luck and don't fret the booze problem, I'm sure you will work it out.

I'll admit, I'm conservative about drinking, but am I the only one who is bothered by this?

I'll admit, I'm conservative about drinking, but am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Since it is only illegal in the US states, and that only because the Federal government forced the states to comply or risk losing federal highway funds, I have no problem with adults drinking, and at 18 you are an adult.

While it may be against the cruiselines policy to serve them directly, it is not against the law for them to drink, and they can drink in most ports of call as well.

Cheers,

Peter

The drinking age on Carnival is 21. Your S&S card hold your age on it so you will not be able to use it for alcohol. Period!

What's the problem here? Read some of the posts on CC to see just how many younger people have fallen overboard, been left at a port and other disasters. Of course, these things aren't usually a deterent to someone determined to get smashed.

And - they certainly CAN go through your luggage. They are customs people and they can do pretty much what they want with your luggage for security reasons and for illegal drugs. You will read here of some folks who "smuggle" alcohol on board and are successful....you also will read that when they find it (and they do - they know all your clever hiding places), they confiscate it and you never see it again. Just like the airlines, they "profile" passengers. If they find a passenger that fits a certain amount of "points" on this profile, they will check you very carefully.

They won't "fudge" and serve you even if you are "just a couple of weeks from your 21st birthday". They can get in BIG trouble by serving and underage guest.

They cannot legally open your luggage without you being present, so even if it shows up in the x-rays they can't take it.

Even if this were true, there is nothing that says they have to deliver the suspect bag to your room. ;) They can page you and have you come down to retrieve the bag.

. They cannot legally open your luggage without you being present, so even if it shows up in the x-rays they can't take it.

Oh, yes they can, and they often do.;)

When your checked luggage goes through security x-ray before being loaded onto the ship, IF they see a suspicious object, they do have the legal right to open your luggage.

Last year, one of my tablemates on a cruise had this happen to her. Security does have the passenger paged first. If no response, they can go into the luggage and remove any potentially hazardous object, as well as booze/beer.

The lady told me that, although she never heard a page, when she received her luggage, her two bottles of Scotch were missing, but there was a note saying she could retrieve it at the end of the cruise.

Since it is only illegal in the US states, and that only because the Federal government forced the states to comply or risk losing federal highway funds, I have no problem with adults drinking, and at 18 you are an adult.

While it may be against the cruiselines policy to serve them directly, it is not against the law for them to drink, and they can drink in most ports of call as well.

Cheers,

Peter

Here in Australia you can legally drink at 18 but I honestly believe that 21 is a much better age. Honestly, how many 18y.o. do you know that truly act like adults?? And regardless of legal age, if it's illegal you shouldn't be buying it for them and you're the one that will end up in BIG trouble.

Karen

Yep. Drinking age in Texas was 18 until the federal government forced the change. My kids drank at 18. I don't have a problem with adults (18 year olds) drinking.

Here in Australia you can legally drink at 18 but I honestly believe that 21 is a much better age. Honestly, how many 18y.o. do you know that truly act like adults?? And regardless of legal age, if it's illegal you shouldn't be buying it for them and you're the one that will end up in BIG trouble.

Karen

Hey. I'm not buying any 18 year olds drinks, mostly because I don't know any!

I'm just commenting on them drinking.

It doesn't really matter if they act like adults, they are adults. Besides, I've seen lots of adults who don't act like adults. But in any case it is not against any law for an 18 year old to drink on a ship. It may be against the cruiselines policy, but that is about it.

Cheers,

Peter

Last month on our Glory cruise we took our daughter for her 21st b-day. She really looks about 16/17. When we were checking in the lady could not believe she was 21 so checked her id and bc very well then said make sure on the ship to carry her id with her along with her ss card, she said even though they know with your ss card you still might get a waiter that wants to see your id to compare to the name on your ss card.

And sure enough the first day she got asked for her id about 3 times, after that first day I dont remember anyone asking her for it.

I don't have so much of a problem with the concept of it since she is just a couple of weeks shy of 21, but the idea of 18 year olds drinking concerns me. Having raised three kids through their teen years (now 20, 21, and 23), I've never seen any evidence that kids are mature enough to drink at 18--there's a big difference between 18 and 21. Truth be told, I don't think my 23 year old is handling it so well!

I do have a concern about her trying to purchase alcohol onboard as, if successful and caught, it's not just her that would suffer--the one who would suffer the most would be the person who sold it to her.

JMHO

Understand they are not strict for themselves, they would loose their insurance if they did not follow that strictly.

On a personal level I agree, but from a business standpoint, there consequences of them not following that rule, are financially dire.

Hey. I'm not buying any 18 year olds drinks, mostly because I don't know any!

I'm just commenting on them drinking.

It doesn't really matter if they act like adults, they are adults. Besides, I've seen lots of adults who don't act like adults. But in any case it is not against any law for an 18 year old to drink on a ship. It may be against the cruiselines policy, but that is about it.

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry Peter, I didn't realise it was not against the law to drink at 18 in the US. I thought it was. I still say though that I think 21 is a much better legal drinking age (maybe that's because I have an almost 16 y.o - getting close:eek: ). Don't know about US but here in Australia, most 18y.o. are still at school (not college or Uni). And yes I agree that many adults don't act like adults.

Karen

Guest YesitDonna

I believe that if you are a "legal adult" at 18 for everything else you should be for drinking as well. You're "adult" enough in this country to die for your country but not have a drink. Athought that being said.. it is still the law and we have to live by them.

I was on the Triumph in May and I also saw someone get carded at the bar.

I agree with you, and will vote that way. In the mean time however, the insurance companies are still holding thier feet to the fire on the age thing.

Im not saying it is right, I am saying, dont blame Carnival, they have no choice but to follow the letter of thier insurance contracts.

Just be aware that with all the focus on the cruise ship industry and safety and kids and adults gone missing, congressional hearings this year etc.

They are taking a much different stand with those under 21 that are drinking and those over 21 that have had way too much.

There are several "stories" of entire families being put ashore in port because of underage "drankin".

It may not be illegal to drink, but it is against policy and the Captain can put you and your entire party ashore in the next port and you will be required to find your own way home at your own expense. This is probably going to happen more and more frequently, just like the beligerant passengers that were put ashore off the Sensation, have not heard about them lately...

Archived