Back from the Pride ship......had a great time

and so did our kids. I'll write a review tomorrow when I'm not so tired but I wanted to say/mention one thing that happened to me on this cruise that basically made me feel awful the whole time......I heard horrible, racist comments from my fellow Americans about the employees on the ship and the Mexicans in Mexico, a country we were cruising to....to visit. I told my husband how upset I was hearing these vile things and he said to not think about it but it made me so so sad to see these cruise ship employees work 16 hour days with no days off for 6 months straight and not make even minimum wage (like in the USA) and have people say mean things about them. I told two guys on the ship who were selling time-shares. We were sitting near the office (my dh and I) and they came over to talk with us. One was white and one was dark. They were both from Vancouver, BC. They said they hear it all the time too. The dark one said he was told how great he speaks for a "arab". He said he's not even arab heritage but Turkish and never been to Turkey. He was born and raised in Vancouver, B.C. and has a college degree. They both said they hear it a lot and it is sad. They also said people have the tips taken off their sail and sign cards. WTH?? This is a easy and fair way for us to tip. We don't have to deal with envelops and cash and counting out money for an hour. I love that they did the tipping for us. I even tipped the Fun Club workers and some other people who I liked.

Please tell me....why do people have to make these horrible racist comments to these wonderful employees of this ship? Every worker on the ship said HI to me and my kids when we walked by.

I want to cruise again but not if I have to hear comments like I heard last week. Can anyone tell me why?

:(

It is a shame you had to listen to such narrow minded people on your cruise. I traveled as a child quite a bit, and thought is wonderful to learn about different cultures. Based on the many (and I mean very many) threads I have read on this board, racial sluring does not seem to be the norm on a cruise.

Can' wait to hear your review on the Pride. My 8 yr old DD and I leave on June 11, the excitement is about to get the better of us both!

Unfortunately some people have no class:(

Granted I have only been on one cruise so far but I thought the service was superb. I tipped not only the S&S card but with cash at the end to the room steward who came in every time we went out. The waiter and his assistant who had our drinks at the table when we sat down (ice tea) and were very friendly and social with us.

I really wish passengers would think about it. For $10 a day and just watch the number of people who service you on that $10. The bus person who cleans up after you on the Lido deck. The person cleaning the restroom....etc......

Luckily, these clods are few and far between. But they are usually the most miserable people on board never seeming to be having any fun.

K A R M A

Then they register on "Cruise Critic dot com" and in their first post slam Carnival! ;)

I'm happy to say that when we were on the Pride in April, I didn't hear one nasty comment about people from other countries. You must have just happened on a bunch of ignorant uppity people on your cruise! I guess that can happen anywhere! (Sorry to say!) Glad you enjoyed your cruise anyway...

I can not tolerate the intolerant. LOL

It is no wonder that most people in the world have a dim view of Americans, this is one reason why. I hope I don’t come across the same kind of ignorant people you did on your cruise. Because I cannot let it stand, I would say something, and it would not be pleasant.

Predijuce is by definition, ignorance. People that choose to be ignorant are pathetic.

I can not tolerate the intolerant. LOL

It is no wonder that most people in the world have a dim view of Americans, this is one reason why. I hope I don’t come across the same kind of ignorant people you did on your cruise. Because I cannot let it stand, I would say something, and it would not be pleasant.

Predijuce is by definition, ignorance. People that choose to be ignorant are pathetic.

I am not surprised at the ignorance that exudes from individuals nowadays. It all has to do with their upbringing and intelligence. We as Americans are all different, yet alike in so many ways. I actually was subjected to racism personally with my DH on a trip to Gatlinburg, TN on our 1st Anniversary back in '96. Needless to say, DH will NOT travel back to Gatlinburg because of this, and I've tried to change his mind numerous times, but he is standing firm. That incident honestly put a damper on our vacation for him, but I refused to let the ignorance of a few ruin my trip. Please push this to the back of your mind, although it may be hard and know that not all of the visitors on cruise lines are ignorant!

Thankfully, I did not have the same problem on our Pride cruise 2 years ago. We didn't have a problem on our Miracle cruise earlier this year either. The passengers we get to cruise with is just the "luck of the draw". Sounds like you got some "bad apples" on your cruise. Hopefully, next time you'll have better luck. Glad you had a fun cruise in spite of the morons. :)

I want to cruise again but not if I have to hear comments like I heard last week. Can anyone tell me why?

:(

Don't let anything like that dictate your plans for future cruises, two things, now that you are off the boat, it is still going on all over the world, after living in Europe, they "native" treat the immigrants that sweep the streets etc. like scum - not all, but it was disturbing as well. I guess my point is that racism is alive and well and is everywhere.

America is still young at the equality game, not that long ago, women, blacks, indians and others were second class citizens. Only a generation ago in the south it was alive and well. Hate is passed down from generation to generation, it will never go away. Don't tolerate it for a minute - say something to people when appropriate, and don't run away from it!

...and for me to be consistent, this thread is a great topic for the floataway lounge, but does not belong here, at least the questions about the race thing and why...

Just a question... is calling someone "dark" not offensive?? Seriously, I don't know, that is why I am asking. The word made ME feel uncomfortable... I generally would prefer to refer to someone by their nationality if I don't know their heritage, etc. I'm just asking... is this a term that is widely used??

...and for me to be consistent, this thread is a great topic for the floataway lounge, but does not belong here, at least the questions about the race thing and why...

Whew! I was getting worried that something was wrong with you until I got to the last sentence. Way to keep up the policing!;)

Archived