Rafting in Skagway?

fourdarlings

Has anyone done a raft trip in Skagway? Dh and I don't want to just float down a river, but we have never rafted before either. (we are 37 & 38 and in pretty good shape).

Any suggestions for a tour (independent or Princess?)?

Thanks

Keri

Island Princess 17/7/2006

The only rafting trips available in Skagway are the Chilkkot Trail Hike and Float or the Bald Eagle Preserve Float (in Haines). Both are scenic floats.

There are no whitewater trips in Skagway, for first-timers at least.

The only "whitewater" in Southeast Alaska is the Mendenhall River trip in Juneau, but it's a pretty poor trip and not recommended.

If you're in Denali, there are whitewater trips on the Nenana.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea of who the tour company is for the hike and float in Skagway? I have already done the float trip in Haines and had a great time so we wanted to try the one in Skagway and would love to book independent of the ship. :)

Thanks,

Misty

Thanks OutdoorsPro, I have made reservations with Skagway Float Tours. :) Do you by chance know who the ship uses for their "Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling Tour"?? I would like to try and fit both in while we are in Skagway. Which do you suggest doing first??

Misty

Sorry, i realized i didn't answer your second question, 'which to do first'.

If it was me, i'd do the hike and float in the morning. It'll be a good warm-up and something that would be okay to do when it's cooler. Also, the forest critters tend to be out more in the morning. By the time you finish, it should be warmer (assuming it's one of those days that actually warms up).

Being on the rock in the afternoon would probably be better as well, as the sun (if it's out) will warm the rock and make for more enjoyable climbing.

BTW, those are two great, ative trips that should make for a fun and complete Skagway day, especially as you'll get to see Skagway, Dyea and White Pass!

I was kinda thinking the same thing about the order of tours.

We've been to Dyea before and it was beautiful. We also rented the car and drove to Emerald Lake which was a hoot too! I know it's a year away but it'll go quick!!

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Misty

Archived