Non Certified Scuba Questions please Help

bremmerh

I am looking at the non certified scuba excursion offered by Princess cruise line. I was wondering if anyone has done this excursion-Is it worthwhile? We have never scuba before will we have any problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cayman is one of the premier dive locations in the world, so it's a good place to try the diving experience. Many sites with nice coral growth, sea life, clear visibility, and calm warm waters. (Better than the cold muddy water in lake Ontario that has no coral and little underwater life.)

I have always booked independently rather than thru the ship though. Sometimes you may be paying double or more by booking thru the cruise line.

In Cayman there are at least two dive shops that are within walking distance from the cruise terminal. Divers Down, and Eden Rock. You could try contacting them directly to see what they offer, for an intro scuba package.

I am looking at the non certified scuba excursion offered by Princess cruise line. I was wondering if anyone has done this excursion-Is it worthwhile? We have never scuba before will we have any problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen various dive operators take resort divers (non-certified) down to depths of 90' - 110' with mixed results, mostly bad. PADI sets the maximum as follows,

Average dive depth is 6 metres/20 feet (12 metres/40 feet is the maximum depth)

A 2 hour course will not give you the skills you will need to handle the conditions that can occur at 110'. Be sure to ask questions of the dive operator BEFORE you make the dive. Stay safe and wet! :D

If you have enough time before the cruise, go to your local dive store and take a course. This will give you the skills you need to be a better (= safer) diver. The end of the course is your Open Water dive, after which you are certified. It can be arranged to do your Open Water dive in Grand Cayman. I've not done this, but my brother completed his PADI certification in Cozumel this way. You'll probably need to contact dive shops in Grand Cayman to see who can accomodate you.

there is a bit more to it than that. You have to do 4 check out dives which takes 2 days. If you plan on doing this during a cruise, you need to coordinate this with dive shops in 2 ports. The problem with this though is that if for some reason you can't make a port which is fairly common with GC, then you end up with only half of your check out dives done.

Archived