exchange rate

merryecho

Those planning on the transatlantic crossing will be sad (americans) or ecstatic (british) to know that the exchange rate for $'s to pounds on the QM2 yesterday was 1.96. So, with their fee, $300 US bought 148 pounds. Ouch.

If you are spending anytime abroad, I always recommend getting some currency before the trip. My bank was happy to oblige, I incurred no fees from the bank, and they gave me a decent exchange rate. (They did have to get the money mailed in to their branch, so it took about 5 business days.)

Sorry- I wasn't very clear, my point wasn't that the exchange rate onboard was poor (though of course it was) but that the exchange rate period is at an all time low, for as long as I can remember anyway. It wasn't a whole lot better on shore- I only changed enough onboard to have for tips, carfare, etc.

I posted this on another thread about exchange rates - helps keep things in perspective......

The exchange rate between the $ and the £ started at $4.55 in 1791 - rising to $3.82 in 1812 (must have been the paint bill for the White House) - and stayed between $4.50 & $5.00 until the Civil war when it fell as low as $9.97 in 1864. Settling back to around $4.50, wobbled a bit post WWI, then settled at $4.00 to the end of the 1940s....when sterling's descent set in....$2.80 through the 1950s and early 60s - once the pound floated it generally sank.....as low as $1.30 in 1985 - now around $1.87 - and in the last year between $1.70 - $1.90 - so in the grand scheme of things - very minor wobbles....

Peter

Those planning on the transatlantic crossing will be sad (americans) or ecstatic (british) to know that the exchange rate for $'s to pounds on the QM2 yesterday was 1.96. So, with their fee, $300 US bought 148 pounds. Ouch.

For goodness sake, don't exchange money on the ship!!! Either take the appropriate cash with you, or use an atm machine when you get to the other side. You get a much better rate that way, promise.

Seachase- The on the street in london exchange rate was 1.90. So the difference between that and the ship for the amount I exchanged was $5.00, well worth it to me to not have to run all over finding a cheaper rate so I would have enough pocket money to get settled. Remember, time is sometimes more valuable than a couple of bucks.

Is no one else shocked that the dollar is now on the edge of two for one to the pound (the original intent of this thread)? Just for a reference point, we stopped in a not so nice pub for a pint of Guiness and payed the $ equivalent of $6.50. I repeat, ouch.

Seachase- The on the street in london exchange rate was 1.90. So the difference between that and the ship for the amount I exchanged was $5.00, well worth it to me to not have to run all over finding a cheaper rate so I would have enough pocket money to get settled. Remember, time is sometimes more valuable than a couple of bucks.

Is no one else shocked that the dollar is now on the edge of two for one to the pound (the original intent of this thread)? Just for a reference point, we stopped in a not so nice pub for a pint of Guiness and payed the $ equivalent of $6.50. I repeat, ouch.

Point taken, Merryecho, and yes, I think the Europeans might be surprised to find fewer American tourists around this summer.

You said there might be fewer Americans around this summer. Perhaps there will be. But if the numbers at US attractions that I have heard (not all, to be sure) are any indication, there will actually be an increase.

I, for one, am not travelling because my gas is cheap (still is, I say), or my dollar is solid against the pound or because my stocks are up or down. I'm travelling because I want to go somewhere and or do something. Certainly being able to pay is an issue, but the exchange rate does not reflect what is in general a very strong economic situation in the US.

In general, Americans enjoy visiting Europe and I doubt the difference between a trip that costs $5,000 and one that costs $5,500 or even $6,000 is going to change their minds.

Though, if I have to pay $15 for toilet paper on QM2 (from another thread), I may only be able to afford one of these trips a year.:)

Though, if I have to pay $15 for toilet paper on QM2 (from another thread), I may only be able to afford one of these trips a year.:)

Gosh, no, Flinty!

Simply get one of the Emperors Grill rooms which have the his and hers heated air drying bidets! No TP needed!

Karie,

who wishes!

Are those red wine bidets? Or moonshine bidets? Or do I have to pay $3 for Evian (backwards Evian, no less) in my bidet, and still pay $15 for a few rolls to dry with?

It is all almost too much.

Almost.;)

Are those red wine bidets? Or moonshine bidets? Or do I have to pay $3 for Evian (backwards Evian, no less) in my bidet, and still pay $15 for a few rolls to dry with?

It is all almost too much.

Almost.;)

Nope. No fifteen dollar rolls. I tole' ya! It's got the warm air dryer!

Karie,

Whose outhouse still features Mr. Sear's and Mr. Roebucks' finest TP

P.S. Well. of course! Veuve Cliquot is our featured effervescent cleanser!

For goodness sake, don't exchange money on the ship!!! Either take the appropriate cash with you, or use an atm machine when you get to the other side. You get a much better rate that way, promise.

If you're starting in England, take *some* cash with you, and convert *some* cash into pounds or Euros. I just got back from London, and for the first couple of days that I was there none of my ATM cards worked. And it was a bank holiday weekend. I was very uncomfortable until I finally found a machine that would let me use my cards.

For comparison, I did the conversions at Heathrow. On 5/26, a pound cost $2.15 with the exchange fee ($86.00 bought 40.04 pounds), and on 6/4 they bought a pound back at $1.70 with the exchange fee (76.29 pounds bought $130).

Archived