Nativeways Rr& Rum Point

crazypom

Hi, just back from DCL with a stop in Grand Cayman on tues May 23rd. Our group include hubby, 4 kids 11,9,5,3, MIL, and myself. Eldon was at the pier waiting for us and we were directed to a small bus for transport to the boat. Sheldon, the captain, gave us a narrated tour as we drove to the marina which was very interesting. They were (as KimandChris wrote in an earlier post) very professional and safety conscious. The tour was very organized and I thought the time at each spot was fine, esp with kids. It took awhile but we all got in the water (except Gramma and 3yo) and swam with the rays. It was amazing and one of the highlites of our trip. The guides did a great job of making sure everyone got time with the rays, got their kiss for good luck, fed them and got a back massage. They did have a videographer on board who worked hard to get pictures of everyone. The next stop at the reef was also nice - lots of fish and a large eel (although they said it was the smaller of the two!:eek: ) The lunch at Rum point was good with lots of choices. The kids enjoyed snorkeling there as well and playing in the sand. It really is a beautiful beach

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/crazypom/PICT3695.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/crazypom/PICT3689.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/crazypom/PICT3677.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/crazypom/PICT3680.jpg

overall it was worth the money and an wonderful day, the highlight of the trip for the 11 & 9 yo. Would highly recommend this to those with or without kids and would love to do it again one day!

9have tried to put in a few pics but not sure if it will work):confused:

Thanks for the review and pictures crazypom. DH and I will be on this same tour in a couple of weeks. How many people total were on the tour? Can you give me an idea of some of the lunch selections that you had to choose from?

Thank-you.

There was about 20 people, much much less than the tours we saw pull up that were booked thru the cruise lines!! There were at least 10 lunch selections - our group had fish/chips, blackened mahi sandwich, Gramma had some sort of wrap, kids had hot dogs/chicken and fries. They also served ice tea or water. Food was really good, drinks at the bar very expensive and they give change in cayman money (beer was the cheapest). Waiting for the video, the kids had so much fun I had to order it!!! (no pressure to buy though)

It was a great day, nice people, good service, awesome experience - you will love it!!

have fun:cool:

I second that review of Nativeway! They were awesome. Loved it that there were so few people on board our boats. Lunch at Rum point was very good. And for those of you who like fruity rum drinks, there is an excellent selection of concoctions at the bar! Sheldon and the other guides played a few hilarious games of sand volleyball with a bunch of us after lunch - they were reallly fun to be with!

Thanks for the great "mini review" of Nativeway. Very, very seriously thinking of booking with them for our family of 5. Saw in one of your pics (thanks for including the link to them!) that they let your son help "drive" the boat. :) Do they routinely offer this? This would most definitely help me choose to go with them (over Capt. Marvin's, Capt. Bryan, or Moby Dick) if I knew they'd offer this w/my kids. My kids range from 9-15 years old.

Also, can you describe what Rum Point is, what is there, etc? Looks like that is one thing that sets them apart from the other operators also and I don't yet know much about that spot.

Also, Bettyvon, I LOVE fruity drinks! I saw mention of high priced drinks, so if I go there, how much $$ would I expect to spend on these so that I'd make sure and have sufficient amounts with me! :-)

Thanks in advance for responses.....

I really think you can't go wrong with choosing nativeways for your group. We just asked if our son (9) could help drive the boat and they let him on the way back in (and another girl also). Sheldon (the captain) didn't seem to mind at all but was particular about where/when they drove for safety reasons (which was good). Rum point was just a beautiful (very) beach area. The kids swam, played in the sand, and did more snorkeling. They have a restaurant, bar, gift shop, and clean washroom facilities. Didn't notice if anything like jet skis or kayaks. Gramma paid around $9 for her fruity drink, hubby and I had beer which was cheaper. They do provide ice tea and water with the lunch.

We choose this tour over the others for the great reviews and the 3 excellent stops - I'm sure your family would have a great day!:)

Thanks again! Very helpful info. and it does sound like it would be a great match for us. If you don't mind, I have another question. I'm just wondering what time the excursion ended and what the time was when they got you back to your ship? Our last tender that day is at 3:00, and I'm pretty crazy about not cutting our return time too close when I book something not through the ship. (I don't know whether there is a difference between the time the locals operate on and what time it says on my itinerary that we have to be back :confused: ). It says we leave Grand Cayman at 4:00, hence the last tender leaving at 3:00. :D

They allowed our group to drive the boat as well. :)

I highly recommend this tour. It was the highlight of our trip and Rum Point Beach is fantastic. It's Paradise and you won't want to leave. ;)

We were in GC on May 30th but they didn't have anyone taking a video. That is something I would have liked to purchase.

ofoto_import_2.jpg?et=FRQt%2BmZkTANIjFXo4LmjiA

can't remember exactly when we got back as we had lots of time until our last tender (4pm) The majority of the group was on a Carnival ship and had to catch the last tender by 3pm I think (or maybe it was even earlier). Anyhow, they were very good at getting everyone back on time and seemed to know who was on ship time, island time, etc. I really wouldn't worry, it was so well run and organized and they do this everyday. When you e-mail and sign-up, just make sure they know your ship and times.

BTW, got our video the other day. It is great and we have watched it 3 times. Kids are going to take it to school to show off their adventure. It was about 1/2 hr long and is a great souveneir of the day.:)

We've also been leaning toward Nativeway when we're on the Miracle in August. Was a little concerned about timing but others have a point, they do this every day and must be getting people back on time!! This will be our kids 3rd trip to Stingray City, and they insist on doing it again!

Archived