Voyager Sept. 6th.

neviboy

We're on the Voyager but I hope it's 9/7 and not 9/6 or I fear we will be late.

We are doing the wine tastings in bordeaux big-time as that is one of the major reasons we picked this cruise. Have not been to Bilbao before but I have a friend who said the Guggenheim Museum is perhaps the best modern art museum in the world. I'm not big on modern art but I'm going to give it a fair chance. I mean if this is the best I need to see it.

We are doing two days in Paris and then a day in Normandy for D-Day areas before we get on the ship. One of the Paris days is a day trip to Champagne to do tastings there.

I have one question about Rouen. Do you know if the ship can actually get up the Seine River Channel all of the way to Rouen or do you think we actually embark somewhere nearer the coast and they call it Rouen? I don't remember the River there being that wide or deep.

In fact, we've booked a private guide for Bordeaux that has arranged a private tasting at Haut Brion (the ship's tour will arrive later) and a lunch reservation at what he considers to be "the best seafood restaurant" in Arcachon. I was there years ago and loved Arcachon; it's a horseshoe shaped boardwalk with the beach on one side and terrific seafood restaurants (the kind that bring out a mountainous platter of mixed seafood on a waiter's serving tray) on the other. We've also asked that one additional tasting location -- preferably a village cooperative that sells wine from many of the smaller local wineries -- be added to the trip.

We can probably accommodate up to 6 on the tour (we're just 2); in which case the cost will be about $100-$125 each, plus the food and wine you buy. If any of you would like to join us, please email me via this list, or at stevefrankel@comcast.net, ASAP.

We took this same itinerary 2 years ago on the RSSC Navigator except that it embarked from La Havre and ended in Nice... close to this year's Rouen and Monte Carlo ports, respectively. There were so many port tour choices in most ports that we decided to do it again on this upcoming Sept 7 Voyager sailing.

Regarding the questions on Bilbao: we and our tour companions were disappointed. The sign says "Guggenheim" but the Bilbao version had very amateurish exhibits compared, for example, the the New York Guggenheim or the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (where we are members). Maybe it was just bad luck with timing.

As to Cadiz, we just toured this small town on our own last time. It was a relaxing day, which was what we wanted then. I think the main reason for this port call is to visit Seville, an all-day tour, which is what we plan to take this time.

No one asked about Malaga, but the all-day tour to The Alhambra was fantastic... the highlight of the cruise! I'd recommend that anyone who has not visited this Moorish site not miss the chance.

Jack

5-time RSSC cruiser

Did this trip a year ago and had a great time. I am not much into wine tasting, but did the local walking tour in Bordeaux (out of the local tourist office) in the morning, and then booked a ship's tour to St. Emillion which is a charming old town. You'll have time there to wander on your own.

As to Rouen, the ship does indeed sail up the Seine and docks right in town where you can walk as you like (this is indeed a beautiful ride not to be missed as you cruise on the Seine past quaint villages and chateaus). Bilbao is basically a stop to see the museum, the building is stunning (you can do this on your own or take a tour). Cadiz is a stop for a break in town, or take a trip to Seville which is a longish trip but worth it in my mind. In Malaga, there is a local hop-on hop-off tourist bus you can take, or take a trip to the Alhambra which again is an outstanding site.

Hope this helps.

To Jack4cruisin and DocDresdin- thanks for the input especially on the Guggenheim and Rouen. We're under two months now until our 9/7 Voyager cruise. Can't wait. Do either of you have any info on the dress guidelines; i.e. how may formal, informal, etc. on Radisson 10 day cruises. I'm getting conflicting answers.

In Cadiz I'd go for the tour to Seville; the Real Alcazares and cathedral. It might still be pretty warm in Seville, but the tour is better than the Granada/Alhambra tour from Malaga. Enjoyed both, but Seville more. The guide made the trip. He was fantastic!

wE ARE USING rssc AIR WHICH INCLUDES THE TRANSFER.

I will have all our private (as opposed to Rssc) excursions planned, in about two weeks and will post then Thanks Doc for the information.

Archived