Just how "formal" is formal??

Sammy*

We are cruising Mariner in Feb '05 and I want to start taking advantage of the end-of-summer clearance sales coming up. I'm trying to find formal attire for my two daughters, ages 15 and 9. Just how "formal" should their dresses be? I figure sundress-like dresses for the regular dinner nights, but do I have to go "bridesmaid" for the formal nights? Or can I just do a step above "church" type dresses (ie: lighter, floaty fabrics).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Sammy

You will have people here who tell you they can wear anything they want, but IF you really want to know what they mean by formal then Prom type dresses are what they mean.

Can you Get Away with something else? Yes. the people who take the cruise line directives seriously wear formal clothing, cocktail or long formal dresses, jewlery etc. Men wear Dark suits or Tuxes or Dinner Jackets.

Hope that answers your actual question. As I say you will get plenty of response telling you anything goes, but that was not your question.

Formal means the best you can muster up, but certainly don't go overboard (no pun intended!). I wouldn't spend a fortune on something that will get worn once, but you might have some really good luck at a consignment shop, where you can find something that somebody *else* only wore once! Also, my daughter was 15 when we took her on her first cruise, and she ended up borrowing a formal dress from a friend-- kids always do this, and a cruise is the perfect time to let it happen.

Just my opinion ..... think prom for your 15 year old and Easter/Sunday best for your 9 year old.

- Yvette

That's just what I was looking for.....thanks everyone for your replies!! I actually just came back from Kohl's and I was able to pick up 3 dresses off the clearance rack for the 9 year old. They were $13 each!! They are pretty much the fancy "Easter dress" variety....and I think will be perfect for her for the cruise.

Thanks for the info,

Sammy

Well, it's fairly prescriptive for men (Dark jacket or tux), but for ladies anything dressy goes. You see all levels of formality form sequined ball gowns, to pant suits to slacks and a dressy tee. Prom attire isn't a bad guideline, but anything reasonably dressy will do.

Have fun!

My wife and I took our first cruise in May. Being that it was our first we went all out...I bought a tux and she two evening gowns. We went with the tought that this might be our only cruise. (don't worry we are addicted) Have already started making plans for next year.

We enjoyed ourselves...and that is what cruising is all about.

We went to all of the photo stations a had our picture taken..and then sat at the photo gallery the next day enjoying a drink and looking at all of the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you have plenty of time before your cruise...shop ebay! search for formals/evening gowns! I got 2 off there for around 20 each. One is even sequined and very fancy!!! You can always resale it there again AFTER your cruise! :)

Hi to All...

This question sparks a fire almost evertime. BUT it does matter what cruise line you go on. On Crystal, 90% of the Men wore a tux, On HAL, 67%, Princess same, on RCCL 60%, and on Carnival 5%.

It is up to you....but I would refrain from the dress jeans...I just don't believe that it is proper attire...of course, I was TOTALLY FLAMED for that comment on another thread........Dennis

Archived