ever had excursion sold out online but told to inquire on ship

12 of us in our group plan on doing a kayaking excursion in Port Canavel, we sat down together at the computer to book at the same time, 2 families had no problem, when the last family input their information it said availble but inquire on the ship, we called and were told that 30% of an excursion is saved for booking on the ship, my friend is concerned that she will not be able to go with us, anyone out there have this happen, and what do you suggest.

Thanks

We had this happen - we were travelling with another couple, and one person had been able to book the excursion (a deep-sea fishing excursion - very limited numbers). It kept going from "sold-out" to "inquire on board." I called the excursions desk and was able to book my husband on this excursion. Prior to our cruise, it never appeared open for booking online again. Call the excursions desk, and be persistant - they may have an opening.

Thanks for the information, I passed it on to my friend, when I had called the other day, they had told me even if it showed availble and check on the ship, they could not book it for me, but they absolutely save spaces to book on the ship. My friend will start calling and keep calling. It will be a shame if they can't get on it with us.

Thanks for the information, I passed it on to my friend, when I had called the other day, they had told me even if it showed availble and check on the ship, they could not book it for me, but they absolutely save spaces to book on the ship. My friend will start calling and keep calling. It will be a shame if they can't get on it with us.

Make sure you get to the ship as early as possible. Yes they hold about 1/3 of all excursions for booking on board. Go to the excursion desk and fill out the request just as soon as you can and drop it in the box. They periodically pull the request sheets and flip the stack over. Then they start filling the booking requests. By flipping the stack, they get the earliest requests first and fill them in that manner, first come first served.

Make sure you get to the ship as early as possible. Yes they hold about 1/3 of all excursions for booking on board. Go to the excursion desk and fill out the request just as soon as you can and drop it in the box. They periodically pull the request sheets and flip the stack over. Then they start filling the booking requests. By flipping the stack, they get the earliest requests first and fill them in that manner, first come first served.

Thank You, she will do that. Luckily we are locals, so we can arrive early.

It's still worth speaking to a supervisor on the phone if most of the members of your party were able to reserve online and only a few did not, and you are all in the same party. We were able to make the reservation this way, when the trip was showing up as having space available but having to reserve on board.

Good luck.

Sure, happens all the time. There are sometimes cancellations after the website closes and the ship sails. Last year I could only book 2 of 3 saddles on a tour from the website and checked onboard reasonably early to see if I could get another. On that occasions, I couldn't.

• 4 weeks later...
12 of us in our group plan on doing a kayaking excursion in Port Canavel, we sat down together at the computer to book at the same time, 2 families had no problem, when the last family input their information it said availble but inquire on the ship, we called and were told that 30% of an excursion is saved for booking on the ship, my friend is concerned that she will not be able to go with us, anyone out there have this happen, and what do you suggest.

Thanks

I was told that the wave runner was full at coco kay but when I went to the desk, I was able to get a ride. I also had choices of times. I guess full don't mean really full.

They sell 70% of the ships excusions online and sell the remaining 30% on the ship. Just because it sells out online, there is still @30% for sale for the people board...be sure to go to the excursions desk right when you get on.

They may make concessions, but that is the general rule I read.

As hard as it may seem, not eveyone has a computer, so the cruise ship has to keep some available for those that don't have a computer was still would like to reserve themselves a space or two.

Case in point, my father-in-law and his wife, wanted to go on a excusion, didn't have a computer but as soon as we got on board, they were able to book it.

I don't know that I believe that they hold 30% of the space on excursions for people to book on board. We did a Med cruise last year on the Galaxy and one of the excursions we wanted was sold out on line. We went to the shore excursions desk as soon as we got on the ship (we were among the first to board) and they said there were no open slots. They said that if an excursions sells out online, that's it, they don't save any slots for people to book when they get on board.

Archived